Squeak from under front end at slow speeds? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
itasor

2009 JK Wrangler 

Squeak from under front end at slow speeds?

Lately I have been hearing this squeak, squeak, squeak rhythmic noise from what sounds like the front of the Jeep. I can only hear it if I have my window down and I'm going under 35-40 mph. Also, I can't hear it until I get above 10-15 mph. I haven't tested much yet, but it seems that in what little speed range I can hear it, that it does increase in frequency with the faster speeds.

Usually I just bring the Jeep to a shop to have work done, but I doubt anyone is going to be able to hear this noise and figure out what it is unless I can test a little and determine where it's coming from.

I have looked underneath and the front driveshaft U joints and front axle U joints, but I don't see anything visibly worn. Could the squeaking also be a wheel bearing?

I'm guessing that pulling the front driveshaft and driving around would be the best thing to check first. I've never done that before, so hopefully with all the rust it will come off without too much trouble. Also, would jacking up the front end and spinning each tire really fast help to figure out if it's a wheel bearing or axle u joint?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Pillswoj

2014 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Definitely pull the front driveshaft. It sounds like you are describing the "Angry Sparrows" which is the CV Joint in the front driveshaft starting to go. When it goes it can take out your Transfer Case.

If the noise disappears when you pull the driveshaft, replace all u-joints and rebuild or replace the centering ball.

Jeff
2014 2 dr Rubicon
post #3 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 01:31 PM
472cid

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
Definitely pull the front driveshaft. It sounds like you are describing the "Angry Sparrows" which is the CV Joint in the front driveshaft starting to go. When it goes it can take out your Transfer Case.

If the noise disappears when you pull the driveshaft, replace all u-joints and rebuild or replace the centering ball.
x2 definatley the front driveshaft. that is how mine started and out and i couldnt find the noise. pulled the center ball out of the cv on the driveshaft and it was dried up and shiny packed it full of grease and quiet again

post #4 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
itasor

2009 JK Wrangler 

Sorry to ask stupid questions, but to remove the front driveshaft I just undo the U joint straps on both ends, right? Nothing will leak out of either end without it in place?

How hard is it to take apart the CV on the driveshaft and pack it full of grease? What type of grease do I use?

Any writeups? Probably doing an oil change next weekend, or the weekend after that. Would be a good time to get this done too!
post #5 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Pillswoj

2014 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itasor View Post
Sorry to ask stupid questions, but to remove the front driveshaft I just undo the U joint straps on both ends, right? Nothing will leak out of either end without it in place?

How hard is it to take apart the CV on the driveshaft and pack it full of grease? What type of grease do I use?

Any writeups? Probably doing an oil change next weekend, or the weekend after that. Would be a good time to get this done too!
Yep, undo the straps both end and pull the shaft nothing will leak. NO do not wait until next weekend as I said if the CV joint seizes it can break the transfer case in half and you will be into $$$$$$ to fix all the damage done. Pull the shaft today if you plan on driving it at all, you can drive it for the week or longer without the shaft.

Here is Stu's Writeup on rebuilding the CV Joint http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driv...iveshaft-5.htm

Jeff
2014 2 dr Rubicon
post #6 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
itasor

2009 JK Wrangler 

Ok, I jacked up the driver's side front axle to spin the tire and see if I could recreate the noise. Are the brakes supposed to feel like they are dragging? I can easily spin the tire, but I can't spin it nearly fast enough to give it the momentum to keep spinning or anything...

Also, now I have another question. I see the U joint straps on the axle end of the front driveshaft, but I can't figure out how to take it off the transfer case!

While I was playing around with spinning the tire and playing with the front driveshaft, I found something else that I don't know if it's normal. When I grab my tire and rotate it back and forth fast, I get a "clunk" noise from inside the front diff. Doing it slower, I can turn the tire a little bit forward and backward before the front driveshaft begins to turn. Same thing just by grabbing the front driveshaft. I can rotate it back and forth a bit before it catches in the front axle.

If I can find how to get it off the transfer case end, I will try to pull it. If not, I don't have much choice about not driving it...I have school all week.

Another thing I thought I should mention is that sometimes I hear a squeak noise when I hit a bump, like a crack across the road or pot hole. Could this be from the driveshaft as well when the front axle compresses upwards and changes the angle on the driveshaft?

Thanks!
post #7 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 05:38 PM
Pillswoj

2014 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Stu to the rescue again, This writeup details removing the shaft.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driv...iveshaft-1.htm

Jeff
2014 2 dr Rubicon
post #8 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
itasor

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
Stu to the rescue again, This writeup details removing the shaft.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driv...iveshaft-1.htm
Thanks! I will try to take it off. When I tried to take my Cherokee's driveshafts off the little bolts just broke. Hopefully this one has less rust and stuff.
post #9 of 34 Old 09-01-2008, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
itasor

2009 JK Wrangler 

I couldn't get to the bolts from the back of the t-case. I will have to try again with a swivel adapter and extension.

Does anyone know if the other thing I described above is normal? Able to rotate the front driveshaft a little before it catches?
post #10 of 34 Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Pillswoj

2014 JK Wrangler 

Garage
There will be a little rotational play due to the backlash on the gears.

Jeff
2014 2 dr Rubicon
post #11 of 34 Old 09-01-2008, 04:22 PM
472cid

1997 TJ Wrangler 

i used a ratchet wrench to remove mine 5/16
post #12 of 34 Old 09-01-2008, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
itasor

2009 JK Wrangler 

Ok, I had some trouble getting it off, but it worked out. It's not the driveshaft!

Testing some more, when I'm coasting down the road with my head out the window to hear the noise (squeak, squeak, squeak), I found that if I just touch the brake with my toe (so just BARELY put it on) the squeak stops completely until I let go of the brake.

So it's gotta be something else. Warped rotor? Worn pads? Caliper to tight? Something rubbing?

I took the tire off but didn't see anything abnormal. Just to make sure, I went around and torqued all the lug nuts to 100 ft lbs. (book says 85-110, 100 is about middle). That didn't help.
post #13 of 34 Old 09-02-2008, 03:50 AM
472cid

1997 TJ Wrangler 

pads must be worn to the point the squealers are touchung otherwise it would not go away when you hit the brakes. install new front brakes
post #14 of 34 Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
itasor

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 472cid View Post
pads must be worn to the point the squealers are touchung otherwise it would not go away when you hit the brakes. install new front brakes
Ok, thanks!
post #15 of 34 Old 09-02-2008, 07:40 AM
gy4
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Have you lubbed the front end grease points recently?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in