Sputters then stalls - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-26-2015, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
cowboykilla69
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sputters then stalls

So i could use some help on determining whats wrong with my Jeep. When i start it, it goes into a real low choppy idle and if i dont give it gas it stalls out. If i try to drive it the engine sputters and i have a loss of power and will usually end up stalling and if it doesnt stall from that i'll get a random buck from the engine and it wil stall.
Any tips would help a ton! thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-26-2015, 06:18 PM
rsurran
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Are you getting any codes? Did this come on all at once, was it running well before this? There are several possible causes for idling problems, a description of how it came on would help. Is the Jeep unusable or can you get by the problem some how?

2003 TJ 4.0L Freedom Edition, Flame Red, 5 spd., CAI, Warn, stinger, Hella/KC trail lights.
2013 JK Sport Black, Auto Trans, Bone Stock

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
post #3 of 6 Old 05-26-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
cowboykilla69
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsurran View Post
Are you getting any codes? Did this come on all at once, was it running well before this? There are several possible causes for idling problems, a description of how it came on would help. Is the Jeep unusable or can you get by the problem some how?
I havent gotten any codes and it basically was all at once while driving one day going around 30mph the engine sputtered so i drove it home about 5 mins and it did it a few more times. When i started it back up it had a rough low idle and when i started to drive it, it would sputter and stall. I was able to drive it to a mechanic shop down the road but i stalled about 7 times so its not too reliable. They looked at it and told me the next day it was the computer and asked $980 to fix it so i took it home. Just trying to figure out if it could be something else and that they're not just trying to rob me of money.
And i dont know if this relates to this but the jeep usually takes 3 attempts to start up cold.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-27-2015, 12:47 PM
rsurran
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not having codes makes it harder to diagnose. Cold starting issues could have to do with the check valve in the fuel circuit that keeps fuel from draining back to the tank. Or your "prime" function could be failing. When you turn the key to "On" do you hear the fuel pump running? Should be 3-4 seconds worth. If it is priming, turn the ignition off and on 3 times before you try to start it and see if it starts quicker. You can probably beat the mechanic's price on a computer but be careful what you price. You want a replacement that is functionally compatible with your Jeep. You can buy a used one. You might want a second opinion if you can get to another mechanic.

2003 TJ 4.0L Freedom Edition, Flame Red, 5 spd., CAI, Warn, stinger, Hella/KC trail lights.

Dick Surran

post #5 of 6 Old 05-27-2015, 01:16 PM
TJoker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy just had a similar issue with his. It ended up being the crankshaft sensor. I would hook up a hand held scanner and see if there is any pending codes.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-28-2015, 03:27 PM
rsurran
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sudden failure of the crankshaft position sensor should have produced a check engine light and a code for the sensor. But they have been known to cause all kinds of signs and symptoms. I agree with getting someone to scan for codes. The computer will not issue ignition pulses if it thinks the crank isn't turning. The cam position sensor also figures into the computer allowing ignition pulses. You should get a second opinion.

Dick Surran

Tags
jeep , sputters , stalling , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in