Spark plug electrode broke off inside engine!! Advice needed! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 19 Old 02-18-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
jtstaggs0811
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
If its the porcelain part only then you may have got lucky,... its rather fragile and will break up the few times it bounces off the piston at speed.
But its pieces logged right into the catalytic convertors and have started a hot spot that can later start stopping up..

Rather foolish to just do things like this, when a home vac or even a pipe cleaner with some sticky stuff on it could have fished that piece out EASY.... turn the engine by the crank bolt till that piston all the way up top and poke the cleaner in there.

The fact you say the engine shut off is CRAZY,..... Could have even left that spark plug out and let the air blow the piece out that hole before i would have sealed it up and let it rip... Cause as is it may have destroyed the NEW plug you just poked in there...
You are right it may have been foolish. But honestly I'm not a very experienced mechanic. I can remove and replace, but not very versed with everything that operates in the engine. Honestly when it was killing the engine it felt more like it was from lack of fuel or air. Pretty sure it was fuel because it was getting plenty of air suction through the breather. I didn't think ahead enough to try a pipe cleaner and sticky stuff, I now wish I had because I would have tried that first to reduce my risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakmckinley View Post
I'm confused as to how this happened? In design the electrode runs through the spark plug?

Attachment 1891417

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
I attached another schematic of a the Bosch Platinum and circled exactly all of what broke. Just the nipple not any of the threads or metal ground wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjheap View Post
You need to pull up a schematic of how a internal combustion engine works.

1. If you had been running the engine with a broken plug, you would have a serious miss and probably a CEL.

2. The piece could not make it to the oil pan without knocking a hole in the piston.

3. The piece is not going to migrate to another cylinder, if it made it past the exhaust valve without damaging it, it will be blown out the exhaust or lodged in a cat / muffler.

4. if you were going to run it, your best bet is to take out the plugs and crank the engine over to blow it out the spark plug hole. Less risk of damaging the valves.
1. I'm pretty sure when it initially broke off while driving it was what caused my engine to kill. And it was a very evident miss. Not sure what a CEL is.

2. I didn't think it could either, I was only guessing. I'm pretty sure it broke up into smaller pieces or a power eventually.

3. If it did damage the exhaust valve I have not felt or heard any adverse effects on the engine. It is driving smoother than before the plug and coil change.

4. I honestly had no clue you could do that. Shows my very limited knowledge of engines. Like I said before I am not a mechanic by any means. I'm still learning as I go. My skills are limited to remove and replace.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 Old 02-18-2015, 09:08 AM
Jeepsr4me

Well its a learning lesson for everyone reading and to you also...

I did plenty of stupid things... But way before the internet had all the answers at my finger tips..
post #18 of 19 Old 02-18-2015, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
jtstaggs0811
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Well its a learning lesson for everyone reading and to you also...

I did plenty of stupid things... But way before the internet had all the answers at my finger tips..
Unfortunately everything I found on my initial search for what to do came from other forums saying to rip the engine apart down to the block and physically take the piece out. Which is what I was doing and was down to the point of removing the exhaust manifold to take my cylinder head out when the mechanic I mentioned told me to put it back together and just run it. He said in his 25 years of experience he as always just let an engine run when a broken piece had fell into the engine. I guess call me a naive trusting guy to take his word for it. lol I guess in the end it has worked for me. It was the cheapest route for a broke guy like me.

post #19 of 19 Old 02-18-2015, 10:00 AM
Jeepsr4me

Well let me give some real good advice... Dont listen to that mech any more.... Cause I seen guys that were mech for 2 years that would have told ya what i did on getting the piece out. the old guy may just not care of the long term issues he causes. Cause making more work is like a fire fighter setting fires.... Till he gets caught at it, things look good for him..

Tags
advice , spark plug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in