Spare Tyre Carrier Options - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-04-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Spare Tyre Carrier Options

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what conventional wisdom was on what size tyre the TJ rear door can handle? I have just upgraded to 15x8 wheels with 4.5" back spacing, in aluminium, and Mickey Thompson MTZ tyres in a 33x12.5R15 size.

I know that I can get an adapter for the stock carrier on the back of the Jeep, but was wondering if the rear door can handle this long term?

I like my current bumper, so am not looking for a full replacement type of deal, so what other tried and true options are there if I need to look at other options compared to just a bracket?

1997 TJ Soft Top/ Half Doors
4.0 I6 with 5 Speed Manual | K&N Panel Filter | D30/D44 | 3.07 Gears | Banks Torque Tube Header
31*10.5 R15 Maxxis Trepador Radial Tyres | 2" BDS Spring Lift | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | JKS Discos | JKS Rear Swaybar Links | 100W Narva Spotlights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-04-2019, 04:25 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
need the back seat? that is where i keep the tire if i am not using the swing out arm. when i use that arm set up its holding 300 pounds. no gate will hold that anyway.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-04-2019, 06:23 PM
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Most wouldn't recommend carrying a 33 on the stock tire carrier. You have a few options if you want to have a carrier that is integrated to swing with the tailgate. Exogate/Moryde, Bestop, Rugged Ridge, Taktic, and Rustys now has a tire carrier that swings with the tailgate.

05 Wrangler AEV/METALCLOAK/OME
12 GC Limited
For Sale
KC Light brackets

post #4 of 9 Old 06-04-2019, 07:04 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

OEM carrier can handle 33s, and even 35s. Getting it mounted right tight to the snubbers is key. Some will brace it on the bottom. If you search you should find photos of that. If you do want to do something look at Exogate. It is more like a strengthening of stock design rather than full replacement. I think price may have been raised on it though to the point where not as good a deal as it has been in past.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Goatman#1

They (several brands) make strengthend hinges for just this reason. A little shimmying for the 3rd brake lite and for propper fitment of the tire are needed. But remember if the talegate is closed it is also held by the latch too. A 33" should be no problem for the tailgate to handle. Rubicon6 came with a 31" more or less tire. Add to that the lawyer's safety margin and the weight of a 33" spare falls well within the safety margin. Remember the hinge is 15+ years old, and dont leave the gate open for extended periods of time and you'll be fine.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-05-2019, 08:53 AM
meplatgroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
OEM carrier can handle 33s, and even 35s. Getting it mounted right tight to the snubbers is key. Some will brace it on the bottom. If you search you should find photos of that. If you do want to do something look at Exogate. It is more like a strengthening of stock design rather than full replacement. I think price may have been raised on it though to the point where not as good a deal as it has been in past.
I will just second this saying I ran a 35" spare on a 3.5" BS steel wheel on my tailgate for many years and as long as the snubbers are properly adjusted all is well.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-05-2019, 05:55 PM
Neener Neener

2006 TJ Wrangler 

33's should be fine. As previously stated, the gate is also supported by a latch. Not too sure about a 35.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al The Killer
My monkey likes your monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape
Just go get one and lick it when you get the urge.

post #8 of 9 Old 06-06-2019, 11:51 AM
03Blubicon

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I ran a 33x10.50x15 on a black steelie for a while. It was fine. Interestingly, it weighed a pound less than the stock 245/75x16 MTR and stock wheel that came on it.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-07-2019, 04:08 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

35" spare on all of mine with stock carrier. A steel support helps with the weight.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0015 (2) (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg   IMAG0011 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg   rubi spare bumper (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg  
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'd rather knock myself unconscious, cut a finger off, poke my eye out with a sharp stick or be forced to go back to work than install anything made by Rusty's.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ on 33s.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in