Something wonky with battery and engine - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-16-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
jeepjunkie21
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Something wonky with battery and engine

Old engine went to crap after seizing up. Dropped a new 4.0 in it. Ran fine for a while then it started idling low. Then at some point it would alternate between starting up and running fine and then on to days when need to be given gas in order for it to start and sometimes gas was needed in order for it to run. If i let the RPMs drop it would just die. Looking at the gauges, when I'm actually giving it gas the battery gauge is over the middle mark a little bit. When I let it idle today the RPMs were around 350-425 and the battery gauge would read a higher charge, then back to the mid point, and it would keep switching back and forth. The RPMs would also go up and down. Then I gave it a little gas and just let off a couple times and then after about the third time it just died. I don't know if its the alternator not charging or if the battery is going to crap. Any thoughts? I'm located far from an auto parts store so I don't want to have to drive out there just for it to be neither. Wanting second opinions. Could it be a bad ground? If I find out its a bad alternator, what is an option for a higher amp out put alternator that is a direct bolt up? I think i remember it being from an 04 Durango with a 5.7L. I could be wrong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-16-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
jeepjunkie21
2004 LJ Wrangler 

01-06 Durango with a 4.7*
post #3 of 3 Old 02-16-2016, 10:08 PM
pagrey
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds a little more like you have poor connections somewhere. I'd clean and check the battery terminals and all the "big" cables at the battery first and then look at the ground cables. I have an 04 and the important ground cables seem to be on the block next to the oil dipstick and just behind that on the firewall. Those are easy to check and if the cables are bad it will cause your computer, gauges and just about everything else to go crazy.

Tags
alternator , battery , electrical , revving , rpms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in