So, I might wanna paint the dash... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
ralphieboy
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So, I might wanna paint the dash...

Ok, I've been looking into to replacing the tan dash in my Sahara with a black one, and someone suggested painting it instead. I'd like to know if anyone has ever done this? What's the process? The type of paint? And is it just one huge pain in the @$$???

And info would be great, thanks a lot!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 06:49 PM
PurpleTJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

i havent done it, but i've read about how others have done it. most people use krylon fusion (rattle can). its meant for plastic and works and looks great. the process is pretty simple, if im not mistaken. just remove all the pieces you want to paint, clean them real well, then point and shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustMan View Post
I took a poo once, and when I stood up, there was nothing in the toilet. I was positively terrified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 07:07 PM
hustler905

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I did this to the burl wood in my BMW, and used Plasti-Dip. It turned out great, and if you hate it it peels off.

post #4 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 08:23 PM
WranglerMangler

2002 KJ Liberty 

There is a Vinyl & fabric paint that works better than the Fusion. There is a extensive thread here I just can't locate it at the moment.
post #5 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 08:27 PM
InfernoGirl

2001 TJ Wrangler 

It's Duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye. It is made for just what you are wanting to do. Get it at Autozone or similar, they have a prep for it too, iirc....

Dirty Mudder seat covers/Steering column covers/spare tire covers
Like my Dirty Mudder FB fan page here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto
Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
post #6 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 10:13 PM
mainliner
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I suppose that would do wonders for faded out plastic too, huh?
post #7 of 43 Old 04-21-2010, 05:33 AM
cpu77
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Don't forget to post some before and after pics.
post #8 of 43 Old 04-21-2010, 06:06 AM
doublins

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm doing this this weekend- I have already done my door panels and my center console from spice to charcoal gray w/ black accents in my 98. I'm going to do the dash shortly.

Here are some tips- I'm using the Duplicolor vinyl/fabric paint.

The first time I did the door panels, I just cleaned them then wiped them down with windex (ammonia-based), then painted them. The paint flaked off easy and within a week they looked like crap.

The SECOND time I did my door panels (and did my console at the same time), I broke out my orbital sander and some 400 grit, and did some handsanding as well. I sanded EVERYthing, then soaked a rag in Acetone and wiped the entire surface really well. I re-shot them, and they came out great. I've tried scratching the surface in inconspicuous areas with a key and a flathead screwdriver, and it's really hard to get the paint to come off- i actually deformed the surface of the plastic but the paint was still bonded to it.

So, like everything else with painting, spending your time doing prep work is absolutely key to getting good results. Cut corners and you will regret it later.

-C

98 TJ Street Sleeper- 408ci Stroked Magnum V8

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:

post #9 of 43 Old 04-21-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
ralphieboy
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you everyone! I'm going to check out all of these options. And I'll definitely post some pics...

Hey doublins: The 400 grit on the orbital sander? It didn't leave swirls or funky abrasions on the door or dash panels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublins View Post
I'm doing this this weekend- I have already done my door panels and my center console from spice to charcoal gray w/ black accents in my 98. I'm going to do the dash shortly.

Here are some tips- I'm using the Duplicolor vinyl/fabric paint.

The first time I did the door panels, I just cleaned them then wiped them down with windex (ammonia-based), then painted them. The paint flaked off easy and within a week they looked like crap.

The SECOND time I did my door panels (and did my console at the same time), I broke out my orbital sander and some 400 grit, and did some handsanding as well. I sanded EVERYthing, then soaked a rag in Acetone and wiped the entire surface really well. I re-shot them, and they came out great. I've tried scratching the surface in inconspicuous areas with a key and a flathead screwdriver, and it's really hard to get the paint to come off- i actually deformed the surface of the plastic but the paint was still bonded to it.

So, like everything else with painting, spending your time doing prep work is absolutely key to getting good results. Cut corners and you will regret it later.

-C
post #10 of 43 Old 04-21-2010, 08:59 PM
bluejeep00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i did it to my jeep ive painted it twice now. and every time i pull the dash apart it goes back with less and less screws. make sure u can remember were they went and it wont be to hard. as for paint i used high gloss black engine its what i like. im gonna do it agin pretty soon and do a little more prep the next time

00 TJ
3" lift kit coil spacers in the front
63mm throttal body and spacer
33 12.50 15 turxes mt's on 15 by 10 steel rims
cut fenders tuffy overhead cb no backseat
looking for any cheap parts
post #11 of 43 Old 04-22-2010, 02:36 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Don't take a sander to the plastic. It's amazing he didn't destroy it, and for sure he took off the 'grain' of the surface.
Just get a scotchbrite pad. AFter cleaning (use alcohol) scuff all surfaces. Wipe again with alcohol, then paint.

|
|
post #12 of 43 Old 04-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Farntet
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Heyy,
Im in the process of making my interior black just got done painting my dash and the results came out pretty decent. I used krylon fusion satin black paint (the same i used on my fender flares). The airbag cover was a pain because of the rivets holding it on, but i drilled through and it came loose. I went to ace and the lady recommended i use a clear coat in the process so i used krylon clear satin.. NOT fusion. The clear dulled the shiny finish so i applied a couple more coats of the fusion sat black. The handle bar on the front of the airbag didnt want to hold the paint so ive left it off for now until i figure something out. Here goes some pics..

post #13 of 43 Old 04-22-2010, 03:48 PM
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I used plastidip on my interior and door panels. The plastidip works great for the areas that don't come into contact with your legs or arms...such as speaker covers and airbag cover and main dash. But it was terrible for my grab handle, glove box cover, center console and doors. I've since replaced my console, grab handle and glove box door with actual black ones that I found on ebay...same with the underside of the steering column. As far as the doors...when the weather remains nicer I will take my time prepping them then repaint them with the krylon.
post #14 of 43 Old 04-22-2010, 05:32 PM
cpu77
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So does it look factory? The pictures look nice.
post #15 of 43 Old 04-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thinking of doing this too some time from grey to black!

Beep Beep, who got da keys to the JEEP???
Red Jeep Club #556 - "DA 4-$LANGER"
1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in