Slotted/drilled rotors worth it? - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-11-2021, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
terrible

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Slotted/drilled rotors worth it?

My TJ is due for some brakes. My front rotors are showing some bad scoring and the rear pads have about a 1/16th" of life left.

I am on 35" tires and a 4" lift. The only time I have any issues with stopping power is in the rain or after some wheeling with mud. I installed stainless flex lines a few years ago on the front and my 8.8 has had them since I installed it.

Would slotted or and/or drilled rotors help with braking performance in a TJ? I know the perforations are mostly for gas build up and heavy braking but are they beneficial with stuff like mud and water?

I plan on doing a much needed hardware upgrade at the same time (pins, boots and sliders)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-11-2021, 07:04 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

negative, its quite the opposite. the slots and holes get caked with mud and prevent heat dissipation.

there's minimal if any benefit to slotted/drilled rotors unless the vehicle is running around a track and constantly braking heavily. 99% of the cars they are put on see no advantage.

for more power while breaking, look into black magic pads and centric premium rotors on the front axle. IMO, they are a bare minimum for 35's and stop as good if not better than OEM brakes with OEM tire sizes.

side note, dont compress the caliper piston before changing the break fluid. TJ calipers are known for sticking if the fluid isnt clean and the pistons are compressed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-11-2021, 07:42 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

BM brakes or nothing.
Attached Images

Richisinyoface and voodooridr like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-11-2021, 04:00 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

X2, avoid drilled/slotted rotors in our Jeeps. And X2 to the above recommendation for www.blackmagicbrakes.com who is the absolutely the best provider of high performance brakes and brake kits for our Wranglers. I've been running their Big Brake Kit brakes on two TJ for at least 15-16 years now which upgrades the calipers from single to dual pistons, better rotors, and far better brake pads.
Richisinyoface likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-11-2021, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
terrible

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
X2, avoid drilled/slotted rotors in our Jeeps. And X2 to the above recommendation for www.blackmagicbrakes.com who is the absolutely the best provider of high performance brakes and brake kits for our Wranglers. I've been running their Big Brake Kit brakes on two TJ for at least 15-16 years now which upgrades the calipers from single to dual pistons, better rotors, and far better brake pads.
I don't really think I need anything bigger. Being a standard I use the engine to slow a lot and traffic around here is minimal. Not like I'm towing with it

Are the BM rotors coated? If I'm spending the money on something nice I'd like them to nut rust on the hats like cheap advance/zone rotors.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-11-2021, 07:34 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible View Post
I don't really think I need anything bigger. Being a standard I use the engine to slow a lot and traffic around here is minimal. Not like I'm towing with it

Are the BM rotors coated? If I'm spending the money on something nice I'd like them to nut rust on the hats like cheap advance/zone rotors.
BM uses Centric Premium rotors for its kits. They have a pad and rotor kit which is an inexpensive way to get into some much improved braking. You won't find a better braking pad for the Wrangler. Be aware you can't baby the BM pads and expect them to keep their awesome performance. .

post #7 of 16 Old 05-12-2021, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
terrible

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
BM uses Centric Premium rotors for its kits. They have a pad and rotor kit which is an inexpensive way to get into some much improved braking. You won't find a better braking pad for the Wrangler. Be aware you can't baby the BM pads and expect them to keep their awesome performance. .
So your saying these wouldn't be good for some one that doesn't drive at 10/10th all the time? I rarely need to panic stop and again, it's a jeep not a sports car.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-13-2021, 06:22 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So your saying these wouldn't be good for some one that doesn't drive at 10/10th all the time? I rarely need to panic stop and again, it's a jeep not a sports car.
not really a panic stop, but they tend to glaze over for people that drag the brakes for half a block before coming to a stop.
Jerry Bransford likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-15-2021, 04:38 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
not really a panic stop, but they tend to glaze over for people that drag the brakes for half a block before coming to a stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-15-2021, 11:34 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It doesn't matter if we are driving Jeeps or sports cars... when we need to stop fast we need to be able to stop fast. Not to mention it take more braking power to brake our Jeeps than it does a sports car.

And the bigger the tires you run, the better/more powerful the brakes need to be. The bigger the diameter of the tire, the more leverage it has over the brakes. If you don't want the best brakes for your safety, go down to Autozone and get their cheap Duralast brake pads. Don't complain about their crappy braking though.
TheBoogieman likes this.

post #11 of 16 Old 05-15-2021, 12:30 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well I didn't Know about BM brakes and they may not be right for me as I live in the mountains with 5-10 % grades
10MPH switch backs, I really don't mud unless its on my road after a rain and most of my 'Wheeling' is ON road but in deep snow... I do frequently drive though a lot of cattle manure though

I went with the Power stop Truck and Tow drilled slotted for the heat on the mountains.

I AM on the road here and yes I am Stuck in about 3 feet of hard pack wind blown powder.:
post #12 of 16 Old 05-15-2021, 01:46 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo View Post
I went with the Power stop Truck and Tow drilled slotted for the heat on the mountains.]
The slots and holes are actually to allow the off-gassing from red hot pads to escape which is common during high-speed racing. The off-gassing forms a thin layer of gas between the rotor and pads thich reduces braking effectiveness. It's for that layer of gas that drilling and slotting was developed, as a way for the gas to escape. Those can, however, be counterproductive for non-race application since both reduce the swept surface area of the rotor which is a fancy way of saying there's not as much rotor for the pads to grab.

Notice the Centric Premium rotors used in the Big Brake Kits made by Black Magic Brakes are neither slotted nor drilled.
Wyo likes this.

post #13 of 16 Old 05-15-2021, 02:21 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The slots and holes are actually to allow the off-gassing from red hot pads to escape which is common during high-speed racing. The off-gassing forms a thin layer of gas between the rotor and pads thich reduces braking effectiveness. It's for that layer of gas that drilling and slotting was developed, as a way for the gas to escape. Those can, however, be counterproductive for non-race application since both reduce the swept surface area of the rotor which is a fancy way of saying there's not as much rotor for the pads to grab.

Notice the Centric Premium rotors used in the Big Brake Kits made by Black Magic Brakes are neither slotted nor drilled.
The Price of ignorance has Always been High. In my case, I seem to pay a lot.........
post #14 of 16 Old 05-21-2021, 11:59 AM
JeepTJJunkie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also strongly recommend blackmagic brakes. Great braking effectiveness.

Now: '04 Solar Yellow Rubicon on 33"s & mods.
Previous TJ's: '98 & '00 sports, '04 & ‘05 Rubicons
post #15 of 16 Old 05-24-2021, 11:32 PM
Akitadog
2005 TJ Wrangler 

When I went to 33's I installed the EBC Yellow stuff pads, noticeable difference over the stock pads, but I now have 35s and Black Magic braking system and it's a BIG difference over those EBC pads. I would highly recommend going with the BM pads, and I speak from experience.

Mark
K6RZY

Joaquin Jeepers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in