Sleeving a JK Dana 44 Rubi front axle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 359 Old 06-15-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sleeving a JK Dana 44 Rubi front axle

If one wanted to beef up a JK Rubi 44 front and bump it up to 3" axle tubes for strength first and then secondarily, so that all the aftermarket brackets that are made for 3" tube all work better, what would be the preferred method to go about it?

Assume you have a source for high quality 3" x .250 wall DOM.

Would you split it down the middle after cutting it to length, clamp it tightly around the tube and then weld up the split?

Would you cut each side in half and attempt to hammer/slide the 3" over the two halves and have them meet in the middle?

Would you slit one side knowing that all tubing tends to spring open a bit when it's split and then cut the existing tubes in half, slide on the slit piece and weld up the slit?

Would you measure over 3.25" from the inner knuckles and diff casting and cut the tubes off to that length and then make new tubes? The new tubes would be plug welded 6 times at each juncture, and have an interference fit of .006 when pressed on.

If one were to go the latter route, what would you consider to be an appropriate length of tube engagement into the new tube knowing there will be plug welds and full circle welds where the new tube butts against the inner C and the diff casting.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 359 Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 PM
bruteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If one wanted to beef up a JK Rubi 44 front and bump it up to 3" axle tubes for strength first and then secondarily, so that all the aftermarket brackets that are made for 3" tube all work better, what would be the preferred method to go about it?

Would you split it down the middle after cutting it to length, clamp it tightly around the tube and then weld up the split?
probably the easiest and safest way.

Quote:
Would you cut each side in half and attempt to hammer/slide the 3" over the two halves and have them meet in the middle?
not sure you could press it that far without distorting the housing.

Quote:
Would you slit one side knowing that all tubing tends to spring open a bit when it's split and then cut the existing tubes in half, slide on the slit piece and weld up the slit?
no,seems weak to me.

Quote:
Would you measure over 3.25" from the inner knuckles and diff casting and cut the tubes off to that length and then make new tubes? The new tubes would be plug welded 6 times at each juncture, and have an interference fit of .006 when pressed on.

If one were to go the latter route, what would you consider to be an appropriate length of tube engagement into the new tube knowing there will be plug welds and full circle welds where the new tube butts against the inner C and the diff casting.
acceptable.would allow for caster/pinion angle changes.
I would think 6" of tube and two rows of plug welds at each end and welded to the center section and the "c"s.

the first option would acheive your goals with the least amount of work and expense.
post #3 of 359 Old 06-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...Would you measure over 3.25" from the inner knuckles and diff casting and cut the tubes off to that length and then make new tubes? The new tubes would be plug welded 6 times at each juncture, and have an interference fit of .006 when pressed on...
this sounds like the strongest, but most complicated option with having to set pinion angle and caster. im sure with a custom jig it could be done easily and fairly quickly.

Quote:
Being right has nothing to do with arrogance. It's only perceived that way by those that are wrong.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.

post #4 of 359 Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 AM
MayRoll

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The easiest way for sure. You already know this though, I'm curious to see where you're going with this.

First of the Breed
03 Khaki Rubi
JF short arm champ
post #5 of 359 Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 AM
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This along with some plug welds to the original axle tubes.

98 TJ
Armored up and locked up
38s with Racelines
103" wheelbase
post #6 of 359 Old 06-16-2011, 07:33 AM
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
so the factory jk d44 has 2.5 inch diameter axle tubes?
post #7 of 359 Old 06-16-2011, 07:40 AM
chmo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

yes I know ... not assuming all you asked, but you know about this kit, right?
http://www.rockslideengineering.com/...ell-Kit/Detail
somehow I have the feeling I will get fried now
post #8 of 359 Old 06-16-2011, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
so the factory jk d44 has 2.5 inch diameter axle tubes?
Why yes, yes it does.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #9 of 359 Old 06-16-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
this sounds like the strongest, but most complicated option with having to set pinion angle and caster. im sure with a custom jig it could be done easily and fairly quickly.
If I said that the front axle was being attached with a custom mid arm to run 37's and I would like to have the caster angle set after the pinion angle is done, then what would you pick?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #10 of 359 Old 06-16-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteboy View Post

acceptable.would allow for caster/pinion angle changes.
I would think 6" of tube and two rows of plug welds at each end and welded to the center section and the "c"s.

I'm not capable in the driveway of doing 6" of tube and besides, the piece of tube needed for the driver's side is 8.375" long.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #11 of 359 Old 06-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I like the split down the length of the tube for two reasons:

1. It allows the 3" tube to be stretched open a bit before it goes over the axle tube...that (theoretically) should let it slide on a lot easier. I know it won't move much, but it would move some, and then you have nothing but a long weld to make...which shouldn't be that hard. Clamping it back shut should be easy as well...plenty of simple solutions for that.

2. It handily serves your goal of "strength first and then secondarily, so that all the aftermarket brackets that are made for 3" tube all work better..." with the least work. Overall, it seems the most brainless to me...but that's based on what I know how to do. You get more metal on the tubes, and you get your "spacer" effect for the 3" brackets...and if you weld the new to the old along the length (or with plug welds, or whatever...I can't do that stuff but you can probably handle it) then you've got a hell of a strong assembly, and it's the right size. Why make it harder on yourself?

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 359 Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is what I did for my HP D30....but I only went to the UCA mount. I used 3"x0.25" wall Schedule 40, since thats what was free & available to me. I beveled all the edges, and there was 4-5 passes total on each seam. It was uber low budget, a total under $40 including the consumables & nickel rod.

I really liked never_monday's D30 sleeve here:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/30...ilt-us-957993/

he cut all the brackets off a JK HP30 and sleeved similar to what you describe.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #13 of 359 Old 06-16-2011, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I like the split down the length of the tube for two reasons:

1. It allows the 3" tube to be stretched open a bit before it goes over the axle tube...that (theoretically) should let it slide on a lot easier. I know it won't move much, but it would move some, and then you have nothing but a long weld to make...which shouldn't be that hard. Clamping it back shut should be easy as well...plenty of simple solutions for that.

2. It handily serves your goal of "strength first and then secondarily, so that all the aftermarket brackets that are made for 3" tube all work better..." with the least work. Overall, it seems the most brainless to me...but that's based on what I know how to do. You get more metal on the tubes, and you get your "spacer" effect for the 3" brackets...and if you weld the new to the old along the length (or with plug welds, or whatever...I can't do that stuff but you can probably handle it) then you've got a hell of a strong assembly, and it's the right size. Why make it harder on yourself?
I should also mention that I'm going to be building another JK 44/60 and the option of split and slide won't work there. I'm going to take my aluminum knuckles and F-450 inner C's and attach them to a hybrid JK front for a good friend's rig that runs coilovers. So I'm also looking for a method that works there as well.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #14 of 359 Old 06-16-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
This is what I did for my HP D30....but I only went to the UCA mount. I used 3"x0.25" wall Schedule 40, since thats what was free & available to me. I beveled all the edges, and there was 4-5 passes total on each seam. It was uber low budget, a total under $40 including the consumables & nickel rod.

I really liked never_monday's D30 sleeve here:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/30...ilt-us-957993/

he cut all the brackets off a JK HP30 and sleeved similar to what you describe.
Pat and I talked about that axle several times. I'm still looking for one because I'm quite fond of it.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #15 of 359 Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I used 3"x0.25" wall Schedule 40, since thats what was free & available to me. I beveled all the edges, and there was 4-5 passes total on each seam. It was uber low budget, a total under $40 including the consumables & nickel rod.
This tube was 17.00 per foot.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in