Skids --> engine skids / diff skids. What brand and Style? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-24-2004, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Sparty

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Skids --> engine skids / diff skids. What brand and Style?

OK....I want to get some protection for the basement of the Jeep.
I'm looking through Quadratec for some armor. More specifically I'm looking into the Diff. Skids and Engine Skids.... and I really need suggestions

An engine skid (Skid Row) is big and covers the oil pan (right??).....that is around $220. In Quadratec, they have a Rock-It skid that just covers the oil pan for like $65.

Is it worth the extra $160 to get the full blown Engine Skid?

I'm also looking at Diff. Skids. I think I like the Warn for around $65 apiece, is this good, or is there something else out there that I should look at for Diff. Skids?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-24-2004, 10:43 PM
JeepFleeb

For the engine skid I like the new one from Nth Degree in design and price ($125).

'01 TJ 4.0
'98 ZJ 5.9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Bebop

I would also add a power steering pump skid. I took a major hit on that skid that would have surely done in the pump had the skid not been there.

Unfortunately, I don't know the brand for all of my skids cuz the local 4x4 shop ordered and installed it for me.

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 5 speed
Front and Rear Powertrax no-slip differentials
Custom front and rear bumpers with tire carrier
1.75" lift
31" Superswampers
Tera Low 4:1 transfer case conversion ... WOOHOO!!!

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #5
Blue Jeep Club Member #44

post #4 of 10 Old 03-25-2004, 07:04 AM
Poppy360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop
I would also add a power steering pump skid. I took a major hit on that skid that would have surely done in the pump had the skid not been there.
I think you meant to say the steering box skid. If you can whack your power steering pump...you've got a whole nother set of issues that need to be addressed.
FYI, 4x4rockshop.com has a special going on til the end of the month. You get the Kilby steering box skid and gas tank skid for $250 shipped! Great deal.

'98 TJ Sport 4.0L
RE 3.5" Long Arm w/ 1"BL; 35" KM2's; 8.8; HP30; 4.88's; Dual ARB's; Warn HS9500i; OME Shocks; CO2; Fully Armored; ORO U-Turn Steering; LoD Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier; Durango Steering Box; Heated Seats
post #5 of 10 Old 03-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Stormtrooper

2000 TJ Wrangler 

looks good, but whats it bolt to?

What is the skid bolt to. From the website it looks like it bolts underneath the oilpan flange? how's that work?
-steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFleeb
For the engine skid I like the new one from Nth Degree in design and price ($125).

Cheers, Steve
post #6 of 10 Old 03-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Poppy360

I'd be a little worried about that lip catching on a rock while backing up.

'98 TJ Sport 4.0L
RE 3.5" Long Arm w/ 1"BL; 35" KM2's; 8.8; HP30; 4.88's; Dual ARB's; Warn HS9500i; OME Shocks; CO2; Fully Armored; ORO U-Turn Steering; LoD Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier; Durango Steering Box; Heated Seats
post #7 of 10 Old 03-25-2004, 02:40 PM
XXXcursion

I have the warn oil plate skid, and the best part about it is that it also covers the transmission and ties into the transfer case skid so the jeep will slide over a rock from end to end
post #8 of 10 Old 03-25-2004, 02:45 PM
Bebop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy360
I think you meant to say the steering box skid. If you can whack your power steering pump...you've got a whole nother set of issues that need to be addressed.
FYI, 4x4rockshop.com has a special going on til the end of the month. You get the Kilby steering box skid and gas tank skid for $250 shipped! Great deal.

That's what I meant to say...thanks for pointing that out!

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 5 speed
Front and Rear Powertrax no-slip differentials
Custom front and rear bumpers with tire carrier
1.75" lift
31" Superswampers
Tera Low 4:1 transfer case conversion ... WOOHOO!!!

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #5
Blue Jeep Club Member #44
post #9 of 10 Old 03-25-2004, 03:21 PM
JeepFleeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by smunwin
What is the skid bolt to. From the website it looks like it bolts underneath the oilpan flange? how's that work?
-steve
It bolts onto the engine block and the transmission bellhousing.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the lip to drain the oil. It hangs down a facrtion of an inch and only an inch or two wide. That's a pretty small target for a rock to reach up and grab.

XXXcursion: How has your warn held up? I've heard from a few people that it starts to bend once it gets abused.

'01 TJ 4.0
'98 ZJ 5.9

post #10 of 10 Old 03-25-2004, 03:30 PM
XXXcursion

Very well actually, a couple little dings but other than that it has held up well
My skid actually has the new mounting setup compared to the older models so i think it should last a long time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in