Skid plates/Under carriage armor...Over rated??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
SpoiledRotten

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Skid plates/Under carriage armor...Over rated???

I was just wondering if some put a little too much in this body armor thing. I like the JP magazine and notice that "except for the differential armor" I don't notice too much under these that are shot climbing rocks or showed topping a hill. Do some of you simply do it to make your rig more signaturistic (I made that word up at the moment so you won’t be able to spell check me ) of yours or do you really believe in it?
Are you so careless (not slamming anyone on that) that you don't plan your approach well enough that you simply bounce over anything and everything not caring what it might do?
This Jeep I am specifically talking about was on the cover of the January issue http://www.primediabackissues.com/Me...tegory_Code=JP.
I believe it was the Jeep limousine or something like that.

Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 10:48 AM
dr hook
1998 ZJ 

I wheeled at Morris Mtn ORV over the weekend. My gas tank skid (factory) has several nasty dents in it now, and my (factory) T-case skid is pushed up almost 3" on the back edge from where I slid sideways and high-centered on a large pointy rock, and my oil pan is dented. Full underside skids will be the next thing I purchase, and I probably won't wheel it again til' I get some protection. I really pushed the limits of my rig this weekend and I'm really lucky that I didn't hurt anything to the point of not being able to drive home. If you wheel it, you need skids.

plain ol 02 WJ.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 11:04 AM
BluesMan

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes you hit the skids, even on the best line.
This is Dogmans rig on Meetgrinder, and shows the bolders pretty well.

And other times when you pick a fair line, the mud and water send you a different direction

post #4 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 11:16 AM
90SaharaJeep

it really depends how and where you wheel. You are in Mississippi right? I dont think you are going to encounter a lot of rocks. If you lived out west, you would buy armor before you lift it.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Dogman

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know that I sure have more fun not worrying about my oil pan, etc.

John 3:17
post #6 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 11:31 AM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

All of your points are true.
Some people are very careful and rarely ding anything underneath.
Some people just bash into everything. They either don't care, never learned to pay attention, or drink on the trail...
Some people wheel in areas where they NEED armor - period.
Some people wheel in areas where it's just not needed.
Some people ( many people) just have to have all that stuff and never use it.
Only you can decide what you need or want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #7 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 11:49 AM
msavard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My underside armor has saved me on multiple occations (engine skid).... once taking a shot significant enough to press it into the auto tranny and breaking the seal on my tranny pan. If I didn't have armor I'm pretty sure I might have needed a new transmission.

I've got rockers on order.. I've not needed them yet but I plan on running a trail in 3 weeks that almost requires them as you use large boulders as pivot points at a few spots.

If you just like to wheel on mild stuff or go mudding and are pretty sure there aren't any rocks buried in that mud, then you probably don't need armor.

2004 Yellow TJ Sport
(purchased stock on 6.3.06)

4.0L Auto • 35" Maxxis Bighorns • D30/D44 w 4.88 Gears • 2.5" OME LJ/XJ lift • JKS Trackbars • Brown Dog MML • 1" BL • Warn Engine Skid • Aussie Locker (FR) / Rubi Air Locker (REAR) • SYE/CV • Nth Adj Control Arms • Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier • PSC Rocker Knockers • ORO Swayloc • TNT Tube Fenders

post #8 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 12:06 PM
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame
Some people ( many people) just have to have all that stuff and never use it.
If I'm honest, I probably fall into this category; but really I don't even need a jeep . . . I just want one . . . anyway . . . it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it . . . also makes the trip more fun .

- Chuck -
the "Dude" abides
post #9 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Dogman

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, I forgot to mention the last trip out I banged up my OEM gas tank skid pretty good, fortunately I didn't rupture the tank. Guess what my next purchase will be?

John 3:17
post #10 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 12:11 PM
BluesMan

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman
Oh, I forgot to mention the last trip out I banged up my OEM gas tank skid pretty good, fortunately I didn't rupture the tank. Guess what my next purchase will be?
You are also the only man I know that needs Shock skid guards

I noticed a decent dent on my stock gas skid as well, I don't remember hitting anything but the bumper last time. But it's there.

I want the one that lifts the tank an extra 1".
post #11 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
SpoiledRotten

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good points. Still listening (reading).

Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
post #12 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
PeteC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Used to have a 94 YJ. Never added any armour, just had factory skids.

Went trail riding on Drummond Island (Off the eastern tip of Michigan's upper penninsula). Just wheeling some muddy logging trails. Occasionally felt a rock hidden in the mud. Could not see them even though the mud was not deep at all. A few inches.

Stopped for lunch in town. Looked under the Jeep to see oil dripping. Had pinched the oil pan near the drain plug. A little grinding, some rubber washers, a generous amount of JB Weld, all done in my hosts fully equipped pole barn got me home and kept me going until I could replace the pan.

Jump ahead a couple of years to when I ordered my 2000 TJ. Got all the dealer add on skid plates I could at the time. They have all held up well. Plenty of dings and scratches. I carry a couple less gallons of fuel because of dents in the gas skid. The full engine skid was recently hammered flat again. Have added rocker guards I won in a raffle. Every singe one of my skids had been thoroughly used over the years.

Moral of the story is, you never know what you are going to run in to or over. Does not matter how good, or how careful you think you are. Sooner or later you will need that skid. If you are going to wheel you should protect yourself.

If I was on the island myself and did not have access to tools to fix the puntures in my oil pan, it would have been a very long and expensive drive home.

You only need to protect that which you can not live without.

'00 TJ With toys, lift and tires.
'10 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4x4. Daily driver and tow rig
'05 Dodge Neon. Wifes daily driver and gas sipper.
There is no Bandaid for Stupidity
Sorry if my support of legal wheeling offends you
post #13 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 01:25 PM
03jeeper78

I have a lot of skids because I drive my Jeep to and from the trail and every single other day of the week as well. I can't afford for it to have a lot of downtime from having destroyed things underneath it on the trail. If my Jeep was simply a trailer queen, maybe I wouldn't care so much. If I was building a show jeep just so I could show it off in JP magazine and at a few shows, I wouldn't care about armor either (unless it looked good). So that's why I have just about every skid plate you can imagine - no, it's not just to make my sig longer

'03 Bright Silver Metallic TJ Sport
BSMCCEP Club Member #45
Stock: 4.0L I6:5-speed:3.07 gears:D35 with Trac-Loc:15x7 Ecco wheels:Dual Top Group
Mods: 30x9.5 BFG A-T T/A KO's:JKS Quicker disconnects:Rock-It Man rocker guards:Jeep Medic oil pan/tranny skid:Kilby steering skid:Warn D30 diff guard:C4x4 D35 diff guard:Rusty's radiator guard:Skid Row LCA skids:SilverStar headlights and fogs:Hidden Hitch class III receiver:Old Realistic 40ch CB:2' Firestik II:Arizona Rocky Road tailgate antenna mount
Next : Jeeperman rear bumper

'06 Candy Orange Honda Shadow Spirit 750
post #14 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 01:31 PM
kizer

I personally have the following installed.
Steering
front diff
front control arm skids
Nth TT
Nth Stinger/slider
Rear diff
Gas skid
Rocker guards
Toys by troy oil pan

Did a run and the guy behind me put a hole in his gas tank, crushed his oil pan and lost his clutch.

Sure I paid to much for all my armor, but he paid a lot more than I did repairing his junk. Sure you can make a run without a scratch, but honestly I never know what Im going to get into when I go on a trail I've never been on before.

1600+ Write-ups, and more

|
post #15 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 01:34 PM
GroundAssault

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am too scared to do anything but two tracks until I get my plates on. Its better to have and not need then to need and not have. Just like that other guy said.

2006 Jeep Wrangler---SOLD!

Nowhere at present is there such a measureless loathing of their country by educated people as in America. --Eric Hoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485
cheap mods are like a drug dealer giving you your first few for free...they will only get you addicted and before you know it every paycheck goes into your new habit :rofl:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in