Single-click No Start AND Burning Smell - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-21-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
shivlesNbits

Single-click No Start AND Burning Smell

Hey there folks, I've seen quite a few posts about this issue (minus the burning smell) but I can't seem to figure out what's going on.

Ol' Bessie is an '02 TJ 2.5L. I currently cannot get the starter to attempt to crank. For the last few weeks, I would get randomly stranded in parking lots and when she would turn over, the starter would provide a very weak, almost non-existent crank. Haven't really had time to attack this issue, but now I do.

So as of right now:

When I try to start the Jeep, starter doesn't turn and I just hear a single-click. Battery retains about 12.5V when Jeep is off, and when I flip the ignition to START, it doesn't drop below 11.5V. That's good, right?

Battery posts seem fine, non-corroded. Battery wires also seem fine, as well as the connections to the starter itself. Everything seems to have a good contact surface.

A more troubling problem is after trying to crank the starter a couple times, I get a burning smell from under the hood, and that's a big reason to why I've decided to post to the forums.

So what the heck do I do?

1986 Jeep Comanche 2.5L 5-speed manual 4x4

2002 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L 5-speed manual 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-21-2019, 11:57 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
11.5v is low when you turn the key.
How old is the battery? Has it been drained before? I'd take it to have load tested.

TJ's do not like to run with low voltage/battery issues.

Get out and explore.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-22-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
shivlesNbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_13 View Post
11.5v is low when you turn the key.
How old is the battery? Has it been drained before? I'd take it to have load tested.

TJ's do not like to run with low voltage/battery issues.
I had come across one of the administrator's (Chris') post on a no-start situation, and it said to worry at 10.5V and below whenever you try to start the motor. 11.5V is too low?

1986 Jeep Comanche 2.5L 5-speed manual 4x4

2002 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L 5-speed manual 4x4

post #4 of 6 Old 08-22-2019, 08:08 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
That's why I suggested a load test. It's truly the only way to know if the battery is failing.

Get out and explore.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Dr. Internet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

As above, most likely cause is battery. You must get it load tested by someone who knows what they are doing, typically not your chain auto parts store.
Second is bad / dirty connections. Battery posts and ground connections between engine and firewall. Connections on solenoid and starter.
Third is bad solenoid. They don't fail often, but when they do your starter will not engage properly.
Fourth is bad starter. Smell of something burning is bad sign, perhaps the windings in your starter are overheating.
Five is a problem with your starter gear binding with the gear on the outside of the flywheel. This can cause the starter to draw a lot more current and overheat.

This sounds like a good Jeep project for you to work on. If you take it to a shop or the dealer they will sell you a new battery and then, if that doesn't fix it, a new starter motor.

Steve

2012 Black GC Overland Summit 4x4 2006 Red LJ Rubi
USN Club Hull TJ-13 TX Jeep Club #29
post #6 of 6 Old 08-22-2019, 10:12 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A more troubling problem is after trying to crank the starter a couple times, I get a burning smell from under the hood, and that's a big reason to why I've decided to post to the forums.
Follow your nose: where does the smell seem to emanate from? Feel the electrical components and wires in the area the smell is strongest: does anything feel hot or warmer than it should?

A quick and easy check of the health of the starting system and battery is to switch on the headlights prior to starting and observe their response when attempting to crank the engine over: a good setup will exhibit brightly shining headlights with at most a very slight dimming when the starter is operated, whereas one where the lights dim considerably points toward poor cable connections or a subpar battery.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in