Shock Upgrade - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-04-2018, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
JbthePhotoGuy

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
So I've been through about 100 pages and can't find anything about this. I blew out one of my shocks and the other three are leaking. I've got a 4" lift on 35's. I'm wanting to get something done this week. Any recommendations? I mostly use this to play but travel a good distance on highway to get to some locations. No idea what shocks are on it now. There are no labels or numbers on them and they were on it when I bought it.

Attached Thumbnails
974A5054.jpg  

Last edited by JbthePhotoGuy; 11-04-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-04-2018, 01:40 AM
Kolak
Vendor

What brand/model are the shocks you are running now?

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-04-2018, 05:59 AM
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

My Jeep is a dd. I commute about an hour to and from work everyday.
I had run Bilsteins for years and was very happy with the ride. I just recently installed a set of Fox 2.0 shocks and couldn't be happier.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4" Clayton long arm
35" Mickey Thompsons, lots of stuff
Black Magic Big brake kit

post #4 of 17 Old 11-04-2018, 06:25 AM
hokahay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambmac View Post
I had run Bilsteins for years and was very happy with the ride. I just recently installed a set of Fox 2.0 shocks and couldn't be happier.
I too, am sporting Fox 2.0 and "No Regerts!".

P.S. I will also soon be sporting the ANV Battle Flag Dune flag. lol. My application for membership to the SCV was approved on Wednesday.

I saw OPs and had to order one.
williambmac likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-04-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
JbthePhotoGuy

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have no idea. They are the shocks that were on it when I bought it.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-04-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
JbthePhotoGuy

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by williambmac View Post
I’ve heard nothing but good things about those!
post #7 of 17 Old 11-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why they're all leaking and one is blown out makes me wonder if your present shocks are simply too long and bottomed out eventually damaging them. Fox 2.0 shocks are good if you like the stock tune but they're not cheap. If you want some moderately priced shocks that have received universally positive reviews it'd be hard to beat Rancho's newer gas-charged RS5000x shock. My previous OME Nitrochargers I loved finally gave up the ghost and I reluctantly replaced them with that RS5000x shock expecting to be disappointed. I was not, in fact my impression was I couldn't tell them apart on the highway or offroad. Don't let anyone confuse those with Rancho's earlier hydraulic RS5000 which is WAY too stiff for a TJ.

The one often mentioned shock I absolutely don't care for is the Bilstein 5100. It's too stiff and jittery in my opinion. Jeep builder mrblaine once opined to install Bilstein 5100 shocks if you want to know if the quarter just rolled over was heads or tails.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-04-2018, 07:10 PM
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Jerry, funny thing.....I ran the 5100's on my tj and they never felt like that at all. They had a firm but comfortable ride that I really liked.
The rancho mt7000 that I just removed from my lj rode horribly I felt everything on the road and with them yes... I could tell what side of the quarter I was driving over.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4" Clayton long arm
35" Mickey Thompsons, lots of stuff
Black Magic Big brake kit
post #9 of 17 Old 11-05-2018, 03:03 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Opinions differ on shocks? Say it ain't so. I liked my cheap Zone hydro shocks and they discontinued them. I liked my Rancho 9000XL's too. My BDS, Bilstein, RC, and some others I forget were too stiff on small bumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. JEEP #18
post #10 of 17 Old 11-05-2018, 06:21 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Take one of each F&R shock off, clean the body, then take several quality pics of them then post 'em.

Also, extend them and compress them all the way, take measurements and post those numbers.

Somebody is bound to know what you got. Whatever they are could be mismatched to your system depending on how your bump stops are configured. The 4" lift you mention, may not even be a real 4" lift. You may be misinformed.

How did you figure it was 4"?
post #11 of 17 Old 11-11-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
JbthePhotoGuy

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Take one of each F&R shock off, clean the body, then take several quality pics of them then post 'em.

Also, extend them and compress them all the way, take measurements and post those numbers.

Somebody is bound to know what you got. Whatever they are could be mismatched to your system depending on how your bump stops are configured. The 4" lift you mention, may not even be a real 4" lift. You may be misinformed.

How did you figure it was 4"?

Last time I had my jeep at an off-road shop a few months ago I had them do a once over on it and was told the lift was a 4" lift. Not sure of the brand. There were no markings on it.
post #12 of 17 Old 11-11-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
JbthePhotoGuy

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Why they're all leaking and one is blown out makes me wonder if your present shocks are simply too long and bottomed out eventually damaging them. Fox 2.0 shocks are good if you like the stock tune but they're not cheap. If you want some moderately priced shocks that have received universally positive reviews it'd be hard to beat Rancho's newer gas-charged RS5000x shock. My previous OME Nitrochargers I loved finally gave up the ghost and I reluctantly replaced them with that RS5000x shock expecting to be disappointed. I was not, in fact my impression was I couldn't tell them apart on the highway or offroad. Don't let anyone confuse those with Rancho's earlier hydraulic RS5000 which is WAY too stiff for a TJ.

The one often mentioned shock I absolutely don't care for is the Bilstein 5100. It's too stiff and jittery in my opinion. Jeep builder mrblaine once opined to install Bilstein 5100 shocks if you want to know if the quarter just rolled over was heads or tails.

The 2nd owner installed the lift just after he bought it. The shocks have been on there since 2006. I am the 3rd owner.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-12-2018, 07:33 AM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JbthePhotoGuy View Post
Last time I had my jeep at an off-road shop a few months ago I had them do a once over on it and was told the lift was a 4" lift. Not sure of the brand. There were no markings on it.
Like already mentioned, pics would help your cause if taken correctly, and measurements wouldn't hurt.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-13-2018, 04:32 PM
bigorangeyj

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Fox 2.0's are the one of the most popular shocks I sale, followed closely by Bilstein 5100's. Fox 2.0 resi's are my favorite "budget" resi shock.

02BLKTJ-35" MTR/K's, savvy 4", 4.88's, Detroit True Trac 44 rear, Aussie HP 30 front, Big Stereo.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-13-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
JbthePhotoGuy

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
UPDATE: Ended up going with the Fox 2.0's. So far I absolutely love them!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0373.jpg  

Tags
shocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in