Seeking recommendations for PCM Refurb/Replacement vendor - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-24-2020, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Jen'sTJ

Seeking recommendations for PCM Refurb/Replacement vendor

The dealer says I need to replace my PCM. The service writer was honest and said he would not recommend paying for the dealer part because it was about $1200. I am looking for a recommendation for an aftermarket option. I have seen on eBay a service to rebuild my PCM for $220. FS1 was mentioned in some threads, but they seem to have a fair amount of bad reviews. CarComputerExchange and ProTechAutoSystems have units for around $700. I have seen a number of references to WarnglerFix but their price is about the same as the dealer was charging. I would love to hear from anyone that has used one of these vendors and what their experience was with them. Thanks for the help!

Some background on my issue: I took my 2005 TJ Rubicon into the dealer to diagnose a problem that I have been chasing in some fashion since purchasing the Jeep for my wife in 2015. I won't bore you with the long list of codes recorded as I chased down the problem but I have done the usual fixes: CPS, CKS, VVT, Sparkplugs, and Fuel Pump. The basic problems were: crank-no start, gauge cluster randomly going dead, throttle "bucking" under acceleration. These seem to be common issues with the '05-06 models and many owners posting threads on what they have done to solve their problems (refer back to the "usual fixes"). At this point, I decided it was likely one of two things, either one of the parts I installed was bad or it was the PCM. Before you ask, no I did not use Mopar sensors in my efforts. Without a scan tool, I decided to turn to the dealer. Shout out to AKINS FORD (Ram dealer too) for their help. If you are in NE Georgia and need help, these guys are great! I told them I wanted a thorough diagnosis on the issue and they did. At first, they identified the problem as the CPC was bad and said the aftermarket parts do goofy things to the electrical system and that could be the gauge cluster issue. We agreed to replace the sensor and re-test. The next day they called and said it wasn't the sensor and they believe that the PCM needs to be replaced. They also suggested we put the old aftermarket back in since the new one clearly did not solve the issue. Total charge for all this work was $99.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-24-2020, 10:01 AM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

1936 CJ2A 

I bought a pcm from FS1, it did not work. It was supposed to be flashed for my jeep. On the phone they said that something else on my jeep must be broken... They wouldn't offer a refund. they told me to go get it flashed at the dealer, and that I would have to pay for it. They were rude the whole time. Plus they just pass you from department to department until you hang up in frustration.

I had to do a charge back on my card and just let FS1 dispute it with my card company.

I ended up going to the dealership and got one. The 400 or so extra bucks was totally worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2005 TJ X: MC 3.5" lift, 33"x12.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-24-2020, 10:03 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Several good reviews of wranglerfix.com on this forum.

But I have no personal experience.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

post #4 of 12 Old 09-24-2020, 11:53 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I don't mind spending some time on 'weird' problems SO I will give it a coffee break If you want.

IIRC -The biggest issue is CMP codes.

Post the codes that you chase.
Be sure to mention any modifications, add on's or changes.
Explain VVT and CPC ?
This is a 2005 Rubicon 4.0L with an automatic?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-24-2020, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Jen'sTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
I don't mind spending some time on 'weird' problems SO I will give it a coffee break If you want.

IIRC -The biggest issue is CMP codes.

Post the codes that you chase.
Be sure to mention any modifications, add on's or changes.
Explain VVT and CPC ?
This is a 2005 Rubicon 4.0L with an automatic?
Thanks for the look.
The list is longer than what I have logged. Here's what I did log (grouped according to episodes):
P0300, P0335, P0508, P0334, P0340
V0155, P0335, P2074, P0300, U0155
P0344, P0335, P0016, P0300, P0344, P0335
P0152, P0300, P0335

The vehicle is mostly stock other than a snorkel and 3" body lift. No engine mods that I know of.

Sorry, I stated CPC and it should have been CPS (crankshaft). The VVT Solenoid was replaced early last year, not sure what else I can tell you about that.

Rubicon 4.0L 6-speed manual.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-24-2020, 06:18 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

IIRC VVT is Variable Valve Timing... and the 4.0 is not a VVT configured engine - help me here.

post #7 of 12 Old 09-24-2020, 06:43 PM
TJTurbo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just have to ask don't grill me. During this time period 2015 to present, have you replaced the battery, cleaned the battery terminals and the engine block/body ground connections?

Have you removed the PCM connectors, sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner, coated the plugs with dielectric grease and cleaned the PCM ground body/screws?

Have you inspected the wiring harness that rides near the back of the engine valve cover for abrasive damage?

Have you ever performed a PCM learned memory reset?

I've heard good things about "Wrangler Fix" PCMs. The only downside at the moment is these PCMs cannot be tuned with after market tuners which may not be a concern of your's.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 12 Old 09-24-2020, 08:06 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
IIRC VVT is Variable Valve Timing... and the 4.0 is not a VVT configured engine - help me here.
Yep, I'm curious as well how a VVT solenoid can be changed on an engine with fixed camshaft timing.

Other items that stuck out are the V0155 and P0334 codes. There's no such thing as a V prefix code, at least not on Jeeps, and P0334 indicates an intermittent #2 knock sensor, something that a 4.0L engine doesn't have. Maybe both are typos and are meant to be an additional U0155 and P0344 instead.

P0016 Camshaft/Crankshaft timing misalignment
P0152 O2 Sensor 2/1 circuit high voltage
P0300 Multiple cylinder misfire
P0335 Crankshaft position sensor circuit fault
P0340 Camshaft position sensor circuit fault
P0344 Camshaft position sensor intermittent
P0508 IAC valve signal circuit low
P2074 MAP/TPS correlation fault - Vacuum leak detected
U0155 No cluster BUS message

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #9 of 12 Old 09-24-2020, 08:42 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Manual trans GOOD automatics seam to have more issues....I am startiing and wanted to check some things P0334 and V0155

p0016 Crankshaft Position/Camshaft Position Correlation Not Plausible
p0334, still looking for this MAYBE P0344?
p0335, Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit
p0340 Camshaft position sensor circuit

P0508 IAC Valve Signal Circuit Low

P2074 Manifold Pressure/Throttle Position/MAP Sensor/TPS Correlation Vacuum Leak Detected

u0155 Lost Communication With Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Control Module

V0155 a typo? maybe P0155?

post #10 of 12 Old 09-24-2020, 08:51 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Excellent you are lucky - Mukluk has look at this also...

I posted the above list as I start grouping and thinking...

Tomorrow I will chekc TSB;s. and follow up...

post #11 of 12 Old 09-25-2020, 03:10 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Here is what I am thinking codes are group for 'same' system

Typical CMP issue
p0016 Crankshaft Position/Camshaft Position Correlation Not Plausible
p0334, still looking for this MAYBE P0344?
p0335, Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit
p0340 Camshaft position sensor circuit

Did dealer perform/confirm TSB 18-015-09 was done (P0340)
may be cause of other codes....Anything on that p0334 confusion?
.................................................. .......................................
P0508 IAC Valve Signal Circuit Low
P2074 Manifold Pressure/Throttle Position/MAP Sensor/TPS Correlation Vacuum Leak Detected
Are these intermittent or one time 'codes" - Your airbag light does do the self test at every start?

.................................................. ......................................
U0155 I do not like this code - is it intermittent one time? Have you changed gears. speedo calibration, tires? Does the dash go out?

.................................................. .......................................
I am thinking the V0155 is a typo and is p0155 and that would make sense wit your last code p0152 a ptoblem with B2S1 - A place to start as these o2 sensor codes can cause PCM issues.

post #12 of 12 Old 10-05-2020, 02:33 PM
05jeep53

[QUOTE=Jen'sTJ;41080695]The dealer says I need to replace my PCM. The service writer was honest and said he would not recommend paying for the dealer part because it was about $1200. I am looking for a recommendation for an aftermarket option. I have seen on eBay a service to rebuild my PCM for $220. FS1 was mentioned in some threads, but they seem to have a fair amount of bad reviews. CarComputerExchange and ProTechAutoSystems have units for around $700. I have seen a number of references to WarnglerFix but their price is about the same as the dealer was charging. I would love to hear from anyone that has used one of these vendors and what their experience was with them. Thanks for the help!

Some background on my issue: I took my 2005 TJ Rubicon into the dealer to diagnose a problem that I have been chasing in some fashion since purchasing the Jeep for my wife in 2015. I won't bore you with the long list of codes recorded as I chased down the problem but I have done the usual fixes: CPS, CKS, VVT, Sparkplugs, and Fuel Pump. The basic problems were: crank-no start, gauge cluster randomly going dead, throttle "bucking" under acceleration. These seem to be common issues with the '05-06 models and many owners posting threads on what they have done to solve their problems (refer back to the "usual fixes"). At this point, I decided it was likely one of two things, either one of the parts I installed was bad or it was the PCM. Before you ask, no I did not use Mopar sensors in my efforts. Without a scan tool, I decided to turn to the dealer. Shout out to AKINS FORD (Ram dealer too) for their help. If you are in NE Georgia and need help, these guys are great! I told them I wanted a thorough diagnosis on the issue and they did. At first, they identified the problem as the CPC was bad and said the aftermarket parts do goofy things to the electrical system and that could be the gauge cluster issue. We agreed to replace the sensor and re-test. The next day they called and said it wasn't the sensor and they believe that the PCM needs to be replaced. They also suggested we put the old aftermarket back in since the new one clearly did not solve the issue. Total charge for all this work was $99.[/QUOTE

I bought a pcm from wrangler fix and it works perfect so far
The pcm from fs1 didnt work 3 times finally paid the 1150 for the wrangler fix ECM and boom perfect the first time.
I would recommend everyone stay away]from fs1 they are flakes and a money pit that will drain your wallet with zero results and more headache.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in