searched everywhere, still no clear answer - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 03-02-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
deadwalkinsammy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

searched everywhere, still no clear answer

i have a 97 with a 2.5l, i have replaced just about everything on the jeep so now this is really starting to get to me. when i start it up cold it starts up just fine and drives fine for a while, but then it idles rough at stoplights after about 20 mins of driving, if i start it hot, it does it all the time. i'll be cruising in 4th and it'll stall out on me while im driving. now here's the list of things ive replaced.

plugs, wire, cap, rotor, distributor, cps, tps, iac motor, timing chain kit, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, head gasket, radiator, water pump, thermostat, fuel pump, exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, and muffler and tail pipe.

now here's something you should know, the stud that bolts the exhaust manifold onto the head was stripped when i bought the jeep and a bolt was jerry rigged into the hole. will a silly exhaust leak cause all these problems?

also, would it be ok to tap that hole and try to thread it to get a bolt to hold the mani down, if its leaking exhaust from there, you can tell. but what leads me to believe it is, is when i take of in 1st and start to get higher on rpms i hear a puttering sound.

hopefully someone can help me with this, im at my witts end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-02-2012, 05:56 PM
clintrivera

1998 TJ Wrangler 

After the jeep gets warm it goes into closed loop (under cruise and idle) which will take into account the 02 sensor. An exhaust leak will cause rough running since the 02 sensor isn't reading all the gasses. Also how long has it been since you replaced it? It also may be an intake manifold leak since you have a stripped bolt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-02-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
deadwalkinsammy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

hey clint, thanks for the reply, good to see a fellow rivera on here lol
i replaced the o2 sensors today and yesterday. my dad keeps telling me not to worry about the exhaust leak, but that makes total sense to me about the exhaust leak. but the intake is bolted in all the way, the only bolt missing is the very front one, it only bolts into the exhaust manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
After the jeep gets warm it goes into closed loop (under cruise and idle) which will take into account the 02 sensor. An exhaust leak will cause rough running since the 02 sensor isn't reading all the gasses. Also how long has it been since you replaced it? It also may be an intake manifold leak since you have a stripped bolt.

post #4 of 18 Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 PM
clintrivera

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It would take a pretty big exhaust leak to make it run REALLY bad. Have you tested your coolant temperature sensor and MAP sensor yet? Those are really the only two other sensors left to check.

You migh also try pulling the plugs and seeing if they all look the same - as in they are buring the same. The color of the plugs will tell you what the engine is doing. I'm assuming you don't have a CEL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-02-2012, 10:08 PM
chainbrain2002
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
when it starts doing it you need to leave it running and put a live data diagnostic scanner onto it and see what everything is doing with it running. it might lead you in the right direction.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-02-2012, 10:17 PM
MFERNICO
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My Jeep started and idled rough upon hot start awhile ago. Apparently there was a recall to wrap the #3 injector to help it.

The littlest things.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
deadwalkinsammy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well... my coolant sensor is still in decent shape, and my map sensor seemed to be alright, i checked that yesterday, i feel like the exhaust leak it has is a pretty serious one, one because its coming before both o2 sensors and two because its at one of the main hold down spots for the manifold. im going to drill out a hole a little to clean it up, bevel the edge of the hole and then burn a stud into the head, grind the weld flat and hope it holds, seems like a reasonable solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
It would take a pretty big exhaust leak to make it run REALLY bad. Have you tested your coolant temperature sensor and MAP sensor yet? Those are really the only two other sensors left to check.

You migh also try pulling the plugs and seeing if they all look the same - as in they are buring the same. The color of the plugs will tell you what the engine is doing. I'm assuming you don't have a CEL.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
deadwalkinsammy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

im curious as to what you mean by wrapping the #3 injector...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFERNICO View Post
My Jeep started and idled rough upon hot start awhile ago. Apparently there was a recall to wrap the #3 injector to help it.

The littlest things.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

There is a TSB on this. It involves heat soak on the #3 injector. Google Jeep TSB 18-031-03
post #10 of 18 Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
deadwalkinsammy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Even though that's doe 00-04 tjs I'm going to try that, might be a flaw in more model years, gives me hope. Also we're going to peel back the intake and exhaust manifolds and power steering pump and rethread that manifold bolt hole so I can bolt that pig down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs
There is a TSB on this. It involves heat soak on the #3 injector. Google Jeep TSB 18-031-03
post #11 of 18 Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I was just answering your question on the #3 injector. Kind of doubt it is your problem. I see you have a 2.5L & the TSB was for the 4.0L. Besides it is winter although I see you are in FL. Still wonder if the engine is storing that much heat. If you wrap the injector you might want to do all 4.(?)
post #12 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
deadwalkinsammy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah man, I hear ya. I might just try that cause I fixed the exhaust leak and it still seems to be doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs
I was just answering your question on the #3 injector. Kind of doubt it is your problem. I see you have a 2.5L & the TSB was for the 4.0L. Besides it is winter although I see you are in FL. Still wonder if the engine is storing that much heat. If you wrap the injector you might want to do all 4.(?)
post #13 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Dice48

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would probably take that one to a shop so they can see whats going on. Check engine light?

KCCO
post #14 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 05:16 PM
BioTex

1979 CJ7 

Sounds ignition related to me. Like a module or reluctor gets hot and starts to open. Not sure so much about a 97, but very common on CJ's and YJ's.

Currently:
79 CJ7 "CJ Express" 4.2L, NV4500, D44 rear
69 800 with SBC, SM465, NP205, 14BT
post #15 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 06:39 PM
impboy65
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't see coil on your list. Running fine cold and crappy as it warms up sounds like a coil to me

01 TJ stock for now! OlllllllO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in