The SCAMMERS need to be stopped! - JeepForum.com
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 92 Old 06-16-2020, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

The SCAMMERS need to be stopped!

I am always on Craigslist looking for the ultimate LJ. One day I'll find one I can afford...maybe. So as I continuously hunt for my dream Jeep I come across the scammer ads for say a 2006 Ruby for 1600.00. Please email (such&[email protected]) photo shopped on the photo with no other means of reply. It's usually a beautiful jet black or red, lifted Jeep with all the right stuff. Anyone that has half a brain know 1600 won't even a rust Rubicon!
I would like to start a national / international campaign if your all on board to check out the Jeeps for sale on Craigslist on a regular basis and flag the scammers listings. It takes 3 flags to remove a listing from Craigslist. It costs 5.00 for each listing they place for a vehicle listing. I have flagged the same Jeep ads at least a dozen times in neighboring states to NC. If we are diligent as a giant group of enthusiasts we might be able to hit them in the pocket and possibly save an unsuspecting newby from a scammer
DOWN WITH SCAMMERS

4Low2G0 likes this.

From the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 06-16-2020, 02:27 PM
Strangers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in!!!

Me, Banditt, Tippie and ole Heep a long!
RIP Banditt 3/86 - 11/01
post #3 of 92 Old 06-16-2020, 04:08 PM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

there was one on CL last fall in sarasota fl. I think or maybe it was Tampa bay- '06 LJ ,manual, hard top, orig owner, never off the pavement, 60K miles for $16K
The thing looked like new in the photos- I seriously thought about it, but I had bought mine a few months prior and would have had to sell mine first.

Was on there about 3 weeks before it disappeared

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill

post #4 of 92 Old 06-16-2020, 05:30 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I used to flag 50 ads a day. The bogus ads have gone down considerably here since the $5 fee started. They always have a Gmail account and a palm tree in the photo. On a positive note, I just sold my XJ on Craigslist for $7,000 cash about 20 minutes ago. Time to get my Rubi back! I've missed her for almost 2 years.
Attached Thumbnails
XJ 6 2 2020 1 (2).jpg   RUBI SKEL 8 25 BEST PIC.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #5 of 92 Old 06-16-2020, 08:14 PM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

So the party you sold the '03 to is willing for sure to sell it back?

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #6 of 92 Old 06-17-2020, 03:44 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFl.Wrangler View Post
So the party you sold the '03 to is willing for sure to sell it back?
Yes. They asked me last week if I wanted it back for $10,000. That's $4,000 less than what I sold it for. They have only driven it 1200 miles in the 21 months they've had it, kept in their climate controlled garage and shined it up with a ceramic coating. The paint looks better than when I sold it. I'm supposed to pick it up Saturday (maybe sooner). Finally back in a TJ!
WSS and downs like this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #7 of 92 Old 06-17-2020, 05:53 AM
ibikee

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Wasn’t gonna play, but I looked today to see what kind of parts I might get cheap. Dang if there wasn’t three on there. All rubicons, perfect condition, $1600. Even the description was bogus and strange. Guess it was suppose to look like the seller was stupid and naive.
post #8 of 92 Old 06-17-2020, 06:29 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibikee View Post
Wasn’t gonna play, but I looked today to see what kind of parts I might get cheap. Dang if there wasn’t three on there. All rubicons, perfect condition, $1600. Even the description was bogus and strange. Guess it was suppose to look like the seller was stupid and naive.
Around here, they always have weird prices like $1543 or some odd amount. The description never fits the actual Jeep. I've even emailed them and called them on it, but they never answer.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #9 of 92 Old 06-17-2020, 07:50 AM
ibikee

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Around here, they always have weird prices like $1543 or some odd amount. The description never fits the actual Jeep. I've even emailed them and called them on it, but they never answer.
No response yet, but it’s only been a couple of hours.
TheBoogieman likes this.
post #10 of 92 Old 06-17-2020, 08:34 AM
Supraquick

Garage
I usually see the dealerships advertising nice Jeeps with the down payment listed as the price. If you don't know the game, it can make people think they can pick up rust free TJ's for $1,600. When I list one for sell, people tell me I am way too high and they could buy one for less than $2k. It just skews the market.

When passion and skill work together, the end result is often a masterpiece. - John Ruskin
post #11 of 92 Old 06-17-2020, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraquick View Post
I usually see the dealerships advertising nice Jeeps with the down payment listed as the price. If you don't know the game, it can make people think they can pick up rust free TJ's for $1,600. When I list one for sell, people tell me I am way too high and they could buy one for less than $2k. It just skews the market.
The way too high line is always a given try raising the price. Believe it or not a lower price infers a lesser product raising to a higher price will get the next level buyer interested. We're drifting here... FLAG THE SCAMMERS!!!!!!!!!!!
It's the Gmail account that is the dead giveaway. I answered one once to see what happens and if it's not the money they are trying to get you to send them they start sending you smut mail with a virus. I'm not sure what makes these people think!
FLAG SCAMMERS!!!
JeepRonibo likes this.

post #12 of 92 Old 06-17-2020, 05:22 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm in, checked my CL today, it's clean this time, I do usually flag those ads, the Email is a woman's name with four numbers around here. the map is always off too.
JeepRonibo likes this.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #13 of 92 Old 06-17-2020, 05:43 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

[email protected] has a few Jeeps for $1600.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/pts/...142493493.html

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #14 of 92 Old 06-17-2020, 08:16 PM
ibikee

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
That was the one I saw today on the Huntsville Alabama Craigslist. So they put it on at least two different Craigslist. I flagged it then grabbed my wife’s iPad and flagged it with hers. All three on there today are gone.

The Craigslist Police have struck!
TheBoogieman likes this.
post #15 of 92 Old 06-19-2020, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have family in NH so I look for Jeeps up north and go get them as a two fold trip...Get the Jeep to take back to NC and to visit family. Since I posted the SCAMMERS NEED TO BE STOPPED. I have found [email protected] with that magic sale price of 1600 in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire. I don't know how they can afford to post car ads @ 5.00 a pop in all these states in multiples of areas in each state. I live in Western NC and have found the same persons ad in Florida, Georgia, NC,SC,Tennessee the states I look for Jeeps down south!
I flagged 5 tonight in the Atlanta area. I SURE HOPE we can keep this thing going! I sure don't mind if you all want to repost what I posted. IT works in #'s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in