Savvy Under Armor - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
 44Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 10:30 AM
zachbh
Registered User
 
zachbh's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485 View Post
I sure hope it comes out to $700, and not $1000.

Rokmen lists their belly and transmission / oil skid as a package for $659, and they're probably your closest competition for this thing. For $849 they'll throw in a gas tank skid too (hint, hint ).

I'm with the hint hint guy here. For $700, I feel like this is competitively priced, especially with a unique design. Although its a little disappointing customers can't use their pre-installed MML.

zachbh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 10:34 AM
lumpster
Web Wheeler
 
lumpster's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kansas City MO
Posts: 4,740
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If you add up a 1.25" premium body lift, a new transmission mount with relocated exhaust hanger, and a motor mount lift, Gerald is trying to give the skids away for a couple of hundred bucks.
i know, it seems to cheap, but then again im not "Savvy"
lumpster is offline  
post #153 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler
 
NotURMailman's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Round Here
Posts: 8,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The question then becomes how long it would be before you had all that done. The requirement that's been sorta glossed over in this thread is I don't want these to be purchased and then tossed in the garage to be installed at a later date. Early adopters MUST be ready to go now with the installation, otherwise they do me no good.
I can guarantee I would start on it the night it arrived or the next night at the latest. I would gladly forgo a wheeling trip to do this.

Question: all of this talk of cable shifters doesn't indicate that that is a necessity does it?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
NotURMailman is offline  
 
post #154 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Deacon
Registered User
 
Deacon's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lakehills, TX
Posts: 5,473
Heh, I'm in kind of an interesting position considering I have a 231 with all adjustable arms, but no SYE at the moment and no plans to put one in since I'll be moving to a 241 shortly. But I'll have no need for locker pump mounts since I'm not a Rubi and am running E-Lockers front and rear. It'll be interesting to see how this works out. After the last K2 run my belly skid is pretty beat up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
Although its a little disappointing customers can't use their pre-installed MML.
This is ridiculous. Why would this be disappointing to you in the first place? You can always sell you existing MML if this is some sort of nickle-and-dime thing. And the new stuff is likely to be far superior to whatever you're selling. Besides, it's integral to the design. Something has to hold up your engine skid... You'd prefer that the skid must be TIG welded to your frame or some such nonsense? Come on...

Honestly after moving to a raised motor mount from Brown Dog, I'm looking forward to going back to the stock mounts. The Brown Dog is far, far beefier than the stock stuff, but the relatively small amount of rubber in its bushing means vibes are much greater than the stock mounts.
Deacon is offline  
post #155 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 33,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
I'm with the hint hint guy here. For $700, I feel like this is competitively priced, especially with a unique design. Although its a little disappointing customers can't use their pre-installed MML.
If you're disappointed over a MML, perhaps you aren't the ideal candidate for early adoption.

Early adopters are a unique and select group of individuals that willingly and enthusiastically embrace a new product and are willing to suffer a bit for that privilege by helping with instructions and fitment issues.

If you're already disappointed, you're not my guy.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #156 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Savvy
Vendor
 
Savvy's Avatar
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tustin, CA - Orange County
Posts: 7,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
I'm with the hint hint guy here. For $700, I feel like this is competitively priced, especially with a unique design. Although its a little disappointing customers can't use their pre-installed MML.
Our front cross member does the MML for you. It is integrated into the motor mount lift. What would have us do? Change the whole design to accomodate a existing MML that we have no control of? You could use your existing MML but your motor is now going to be 2" up. We are talking about 6 bolts to remove and replace the existing MML. You're going to be able to sell it anyways!

I'm all ears!

SAVVY OFF ROAD - Winner of the King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge FIVE years in a row!

Email me for the fastest response:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Like us on Facebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2003 TJ Project Unrolled

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Savvy is offline  
post #157 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 10:48 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 33,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
I can guarantee I would start on it the night it arrived or the next night at the latest. I would gladly forgo a wheeling trip to do this.

Question: all of this talk of cable shifters doesn't indicate that that is a necessity does it?
The cable shifter is a great solution, but it is NOT a required solution. T-case shifting is one of the issues we still need to address with all this early adoption installs and see what the best solution will be.

That will be the sort of feedback we need.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #158 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler
 
NotURMailman's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Round Here
Posts: 8,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The cable shifter is a great solution, but it is NOT a required solution. T-case shifting is one of the issues we still need to address with all this early adoption installs and see what the best solution will be.

That will be the sort of feedback we need.
Roger that!

Durnit... if this happens I would have to get a Savvy gas tank skid to raise everything up to fully utilize the BL

Anyone want to buy a rediculously heavy Skid Row engine skid, gas tank skid, and a trailer hitch (kind of now one piece with the GTS )...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
NotURMailman is offline  
post #159 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 AM
zachbh
Registered User
 
zachbh's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If you're disappointed over a MML, perhaps you aren't the ideal candidate for early adoption.

Early adopters are a unique and select group of individuals that willingly and enthusiastically embrace a new product and are willing to suffer a bit for that privilege by helping with instructions and fitment issues.

If you're already disappointed, you're not my guy.
I'm willing, enthusiastic, and able, but early adopters are all your choice. I suppose my animosity towards messing with the MML stems from the hassle I had with it last time, hack sawing a bolt off at an awkward angle for what felt like an eternity. It's disappointing in the sense that now all that work was for nothing, if I do end up with this setup one day. I guess I haven't stared at the teaser pic long enough, but I'll go back and check it out. I suppose I spoke too soon. More pics would help





Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
Our front cross member does the MML for you. It is integrated into the motor mount lift. What would have us do? Change the whole design to accomodate the MML? You could use your existing MML but your motor is now going to be 2" up

I'm all ears!
I didn't mean to suggest a change is needed, I just didn't grasp how the front was put together. Thanks for describing it further, I understand more clearly now! I didn't study the front cross member portion of the first picture as much as the belly pan portion.
zachbh is offline  
post #160 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 11:14 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 33,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
I'm willing, enthusiastic, and able, but early adopters are all your choice. I suppose my animosity towards messing with the MML stems from the hassle I had with it last time, hack sawing a bolt off at an awkward angle for what felt like an eternity. It's disappointing in the sense that now all that work was for nothing, if I do end up with this setup one day. I guess I haven't stared at the teaser pic long enough, but I'll go back and check it out. I suppose I spoke too soon. More pics would help
Next time will be a cake walk because you flipped the new bolt around, right?

Anyway, for future reference and anyone that needs to cut that bolt, a 4" angle grinder with a cut off disc zips it out of there in roughly 15 seconds.







Quote:
I didn't mean to suggest a change is needed, I just didn't grasp how the front was put together. Thanks for describing it further, I understand more clearly now! I didn't study the front cross member portion of the first picture as much as the belly pan portion.
You'll get more Savvy as time goes by.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #161 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 11:21 AM
zachbh
Registered User
 
zachbh's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Next time will be a cake walk because you flipped the new bolt around, right?

Anyway, for future reference and anyone that needs to cut that bolt, a 4" angle grinder with a cut off disc zips it out of there in roughly 15 seconds.


You'll get more Savvy as time goes by.
Right. I wasn't about to make the same mistake the Jeep did. Should have used an angle grinder, but I decided I needed the exercise

Oh, I'm sure I will
zachbh is offline  
post #162 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
ActionJackson
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sterling Heights, Mi
Posts: 367
I can't stop looking at this, every time I'm on a computer I look at it.

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #519
ActionJackson is offline  
post #163 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
06WranglerX
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Frelinghuysen
Posts: 1,931
Originally Posted by mrblaine
The question then becomes how long it would be before you had all that done. The requirement that's been sorta glossed over in this thread is I don't want these to be purchased and then tossed in the garage to be installed at a later date. Early adopters MUST be ready to go now with the installation, otherwise they do me no good.

Just throwing it out, if selected as a candidate, I can begin working on it once it hits the state of NJ, and if you wanted Blaine I could have a webcam session going while in the garage so you can yell at me cross country if I do not do something right. Also have no problems ditching current Bl in favor of whats supplied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
he made it clear when he said he was. He didnt ask for a photo ID of you did he.

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline  
post #164 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 12:45 PM
jg2001
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: haskell
Posts: 9
email sent, Thanks...
jg2001 is offline  
post #165 of 2934 Old 06-08-2010, 12:55 PM
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains
 
SuperWade2's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The cable shifter is a great solution, but it is NOT a required solution. T-case shifting is one of the issues we still need to address with all this early adoption installs and see what the best solution will be.
As these 231 cable shift conversion kits are not released yet, info might still be fuzzy, but I wonder if they will retain the stock handle like the 241 cable kit (I expect so)? I also wonder if it will support the 2Lo position (although I've only used a couple times, so wouldn't make much difference anyhow).

Anyone have a stock 231 handle laying around, mine didn't "make it" through the transition to the other Novak style shifter?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 WK2 Overland

SuperWade2 is offline  
Reply

Tags
aluminum , belly up , crossmember , high clearance , savvy , savvy under armor , t-case , t-case skid plate , transfer case , transfer case skid , under armor

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
For the Savvy amongst us mrblaine TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2789 11-04-2018 12:24 PM
Savvy Corner Armor Install Write-up SuperWade2 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 36 03-03-2015 06:06 AM
Savvy vs. Rokmen Aluminum Corner Armor eblack TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 47 04-24-2012 01:08 PM
Savvy aluminum armor, what tube flares? pjku79 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 11 07-12-2010 08:05 AM
Savvy at KOH!! DevilDogDoc Wrangler General Discussion 11 02-13-2010 02:40 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome