JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Savvy Under Armor (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/savvy-under-armor-1046497/)

mrblaine 08-15-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffgnar (Post 9962126)
OK. Apologies for misdirection but it is the exhaust that needs to go backward or the brace forward. Hard to believe I messed that up in my head overnight. I do have a birthday in a few days, perhaps senility setting in. Not very useful feedback for you if I can't get it right.

Here's the picture:

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/a...fgnar/226C.jpg

You are right I haven't fixed the rear hangers yet. I was thinking to try to pull the exhaust back when I do that.

How much clearance does it need to be comfortable? If I try to figure out a way to slot the holes in the brace to move it forward slightly, how much would that be?

biffgnar 08-15-2010 01:26 PM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 9962177)
How much clearance does it need to be comfortable? If I try to figure out a way to slot the holes in the brace to move it forward slightly, how much would that be?

Well, I got the brace in so it can't be off that much, but there is contact with it in. To know for sure how much room would make it comfortable I probably should take the brace out and line it up. Based on a quick look it seems like you have almost an inch between the the holes and the bend. Not sure how close you want to get to the bend with a slot. I don't think you can move the brace forward very much though because of the back of the TC. Looks like only about half an inch of clearance there.

Would a little cut out in the top of the brace there weaken it too much? Speaking of cutouts in the brace, what about a small one on the driver's side? The lip of the brace is putting pressure on the brake lines. I went ahead and put some hose in to cushion but seems tight.

mrblaine 08-15-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffgnar (Post 9962306)
Well, I got the brace in so it can't be off that much, but there is contact with it in. To know for sure how much room would make it comfortable I probably should take the brace out and line it up. Based on a quick look it seems like you have almost an inch between the the holes and the bend. Not sure how close you want to get to the bend with a slot. I don't think you can move the brace forward very much though because of the back of the TC. Looks like only about half an inch of clearance there.

We can only get as close to the bend as 1/2 the diameter of the flange nut, plus we don't want the slot to blow out in the bend. And no, I don't want to be any closer to the t-case. If I had your problem and was working on the exhaust anyway, I'd add a short section of muffler tube to move it back slightly before I did the rear hangers.

Quote:

Would a little cut out in the top of the brace there weaken it too much? Speaking of cutouts in the brace, what about a small one on the driver's side? The lip of the brace is putting pressure on the brake lines. I went ahead and put some hose in to cushion but seems tight.
Put up a picture and I'll tell you how much to notch it. Or maybe just shorten it.

biffgnar 08-15-2010 02:27 PM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 9962430)
We can only get as close to the bend as 1/2 the diameter of the flange nut, plus we don't want the slot to blow out in the bend. And no, I don't want to be any closer to the t-case. If I had your problem and was working on the exhaust anyway, I'd add a short section of muffler tube to move it back slightly before I did the rear hangers.

Put up a picture and I'll tell you how much to notch it. Or maybe just shorten it.

Doesn't sound like changing the brace can happen.

When I was out taking that last picture I did think about adding a little tubing to move it back. I suppose and then shortening it a little in the back. Need to find a decent muffler shop in the area. Have never had need for one before. A quick search on yellowpages.com shows a bunch of Meinke's and a local place with a bunch of reviews about it being a terrible place. Going to have to look a bit harder I guess as those options are not appealing.

I'll get a picture of the other side where the brace is putting pressure on the lines.

mrblaine 08-15-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffgnar (Post 9962527)
Doesn't sound like changing the brace can happen.

When I was out taking that last picture I did think about adding a little tubing to move it back. I suppose and then shortening it a little in the back. Need to find a decent muffler shop in the area. Have never had need for one before. A quick search on yellowpages.com shows a bunch of Meinke's and a local place with a bunch of reviews about it being a terrible place. Going to have to look a bit harder I guess as those options are not appealing.

I'll get a picture of the other side where the brace is putting pressure on the lines.

How about one of these?

JEGS Stainless Steel Lap Band Exhaust Clamps - JEGS

biffgnar 08-15-2010 06:13 PM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 9963063)

Interesting. So I just cut the pipe behind the crossmember move the back portion back maybe half an inch and use this clamp to connect the cut ends and bridge that half inch gap? Seems very doable. Thanks.

robert_hollis 08-16-2010 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffgnar (Post 9963528)
Interesting. So I just cut the pipe behind the crossmember move the back portion back maybe half an inch and use this clamp to connect the cut ends and bridge that half inch gap? Seems very doable. Thanks.

If you're gonna cut the pipe, I suggest going to Sears (or other store) and buying an exhaust pipe cutter. It will have 4 blades instead of the 1 that a regular pipe cutter has, and won't collapse the pipe like a regular pipe cutter will.

biffgnar 08-16-2010 05:54 PM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert_hollis (Post 9965675)
If you're gonna cut the pipe, I suggest going to Sears (or other store) and buying an exhaust pipe cutter. It will have 4 blades instead of the 1 that a regular pipe cutter has, and won't collapse the pipe like a regular pipe cutter will.

Thanks for recommendation. Based on current tools it would be either Dremel with a cutoff wheel or a hacksaw. Seems like both might work, but be a little tedious. Neighbor has a sawzall that I thought about although not sure about getting good access up there. I was thinking about going to Autozone and seeing if they had a chain cutter in the loaner tool program.

Looking at the fit again it looks like this should work. I can't move things back too much when I cut it because there is the joint in there between the cat and the muffler and it will hit the brace if I move it too much. Really don't need that much relief though.

biffgnar 08-16-2010 09:55 PM

22 Attachment(s)
Worked on the wings tonight. Was sort of night and day. Driver's side wing piece of cake. Fit right in. Easy to access to fit nuts. Only took a few minutes. Passenger's side . . . still not on. First, space much tighter to work over there to get nuts in place. In particular tough to work if the exhaust is at all warm. Next it seems like my exhaust contact problem is causing a fit problem with that wing. Pressure that exhaust is applying to rear brace is messing up the fit. Pushing that side of the rear brace such that it can't line up with the wing holes and also I think pushing the main skid askew a little so that the wing just doesn't fit right period. We have a plan for fixing the exhaust but just not sure I am going to get that done before wheeling trip this Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Could go like it is without the wing on that side. Or was thinking about taking rear brace out and trying to fit wing in without the brace. Neither are long term solutions but not sure going to get exhaust fixed by Thursday evening. May try one more time to loosen everything (main skid and both wings) up and see if can get the puzzle to fit.

LuckRider 08-16-2010 10:17 PM

So who is going to say "My Jeep has Wings.... I can fly right over those obstacles now!!!," first?

lumpster 08-16-2010 10:27 PM

obviously you, since you just said it.

slewfoot 08-16-2010 10:47 PM

Gerald or Blaine,

Have you removed and replaced the under armor (wings and skid plate) from the test mule after Gerald was out playing in the rocks?

I'm just curious how well things stayed in alignment...some of those videos look like they really put a lot of force on the armor.

mrblaine 08-16-2010 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffgnar (Post 9970458)
Worked on the wings tonight. Was sort of night and day. Driver's side wing piece of cake. Fit right in. Easy to access to fit nuts. Only took a few minutes. Passenger's side . . . still not on. First, space much tighter to work over there to get nuts in place. In particular tough to work if the exhaust is at all warm. Next it seems like my exhaust contact problem is causing a fit problem with that wing. Pressure that exhaust is applying to rear brace is messing up the fit. Pushing that side of the rear brace such that it can't line up with the wing holes and also I think pushing the main skid askew a little so that the wing just doesn't fit right period. We have a plan for fixing the exhaust but just not sure I am going to get that done before wheeling trip this Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Could go like it is without the wing on that side. Or was thinking about taking rear brace out and trying to fit wing in without the brace. Neither are long term solutions but not sure going to get exhaust fixed by Thursday evening. May try one more time to loosen everything (main skid and both wings) up and see if can get the puzzle to fit.

We've never installed the wings after the rear brace. We've also never installed anything completely with everything else tight, it just doesn't work that way.

That what part of this program is for, to develop the tightening sequences after all the parts are loosely assembled.

biffgnar 08-17-2010 05:38 AM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 9970962)
That what part of this program is for, to develop the tightening sequences after all the parts are loosely assembled.

I believe program should also be to see what dumb things people like me might try to do with the product.

Savvy 08-17-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slewfoot (Post 9970786)
Gerald or Blaine,

Have you removed and replaced the under armor (wings and skid plate) from the test mule after Gerald was out playing in the rocks?

I'm just curious how well things stayed in alignment...some of those videos look like they really put a lot of force on the armor.

Yes, unfortunately I was not able to drag it on anything at the Rubicon. Did a bunch of re-testing on the gas tank skid! :rofl:

We've had it on floor jacks and I did manage to putting it in a high center condition. Since then the wings came right off and on. I'll be testing it this week as well when I install the Novak cable shifter. I'll just be able to remove the driver wing to make it a lot easier to install the Novak.

The time now is 03:02 AM.