JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Savvy Under Armor (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/savvy-under-armor-1046497/)

mrblaine 09-27-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMBNT42 (Post 12233264)
I honestly don't know, was hoping you guys might have had that info because Id love to be able to get away without having to add one to start myself. I just might try and see what happens.

I'm the wrong guy to ask. I strongly believe that trying to get away with stuff is a sure fire way to step on your weiner.

If you max out your budget and you still need rear adjustable control arms and a SYE/CV driveshaft combo to get the thing driveable, how happy will you be with us?

To give you an idea of how much fun that is, I just installed an U/A and we had to go from a SYE that was new to a SSYE to get enough travel in the CV to stop it from binding at full droop.

robert_hollis 09-27-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 12233494)
To give you an idea of how much fun that is, I just installed an U/A and we had to go from a SYE that was new to a SSYE to get enough travel in the CV to stop it from binding at full droop.

Ouch. That's gotta be annoying.

mrblaine 09-27-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert_hollis (Post 12233824)
Ouch. That's gotta be annoying.

It's still annoying because the rear seal leaks, had been replaced and still leaks and now a new yoke and seal are being sent out and it will need to be replaced again.

It was however, not surprising to deal with these issues given what I've seen of this company before. And of course while on the phone I get the ole "no, you're the only person that has ever had this issue" response.

geiman 09-27-2011 01:17 PM

Wrong place to ask but since we're kinda on the subject; I'm going to move the AA SYE I just installed on one Jeep to my "nused" TJ I just picked up so that I'm ready for my lift/UA soon. Do you have to replace the rubber pieces used I guess as seals when everything is reassembled on the other t-case (ie.. buy new, or can the previously installed pieces be reused)?

Imped 09-27-2011 01:18 PM

I'm guessing it's not a JB housing....

robert_hollis 09-27-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 12233931)
It's still annoying because the rear seal leaks, had been replaced and still leaks and now a new yoke and seal are being sent out and it will need to be replaced again.

It was however, not surprising to deal with these issues given what I've seen of this company before. And of course while on the phone I get the ole "no, you're the only person that has ever had this issue" response.

Man, that's a headache I'm glad I didn't have to deal with when I did my SYE.

As I don't have a garage or shop, I did mine with the Jeep parked on the street in front of my house. I just swapped the parts on my coffee table.

I used a JB Conversions Super Short SYE, and had no problems.

06BLKRUBILJ 09-27-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 12232744)
Has anyone installed one without installing a SYE and or CV rear driveshaft due to how high the end of the t-case gets pushed up?

I did, but I cheated... I have an LJ Rubicon. The transfer case output on mine was raised 3 1/16". I had a very slight droning DS vibration with my 2" budget boost. So I actually dropped it down to a 1" boost in the rear (It still sits at a slight rake). Haven't had it offroad to see if I have any contact with my Rokmen control arms yet. I'll probably pull the front springs first to check for any contact rather than risk doing some irreversible damage while on the trail.

Can't say how much I like the design of the UA. Great Job Blaine!!! :2thumbsup:

Tod

GMBNT42 09-30-2011 07:31 AM

Just curious, but what is the strength of this aluminum skid compared to the stock skid considering its aluminum? Also, whats the warranty if any on the unit from wear and tear from off orad use(like it if gets beat up and the integrity of the unit compromised)? Just a curious question since I believe the LJ platform will probably mean alot more direct wear and tear and use/abuse on the skid from offroading and getting caught up on obstacles. Might be a very stupid question, but didnt feel like it would hurt to ask. Regardless of the answer looking forward to getting this unit installed. :)

GMBNT42 09-30-2011 07:33 AM

Mrblaine: Also, reall quick question to you. Will 33x10.5 tires on stock aluminum rims benefit significantly from those black magic pads over stock? What about rotors? Are new stock rotors fine or? Your thoughts please.

geiman 09-30-2011 07:40 AM

Can't comment on actual strength since I don't have one yet, but out of everyone that has purchased it I've only read about one person having an issue with it. I believe someone cracked something around the access plate (cracked the welds, not the actual aluminum skid) for your oil drain plug. I think it was mainly chalked up to a fluke, but either way Gerald had another plate on the way to him before he even sent back the old piece. I would imagine it's like their gas tank skid, which is warrantied for life against that kind of thing.

NotURMailman 09-30-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMBNT42 (Post 12248850)
Just curious, but what is the strength of this aluminum skid compared to the stock skid considering its aluminum? Also, whats the warranty if any on the unit from wear and tear from off orad use(like it if gets beat up and the integrity of the unit compromised)? Just a curious question since I believe the LJ platform will probably mean alot more direct wear and tear and use/abuse on the skid from offroading and getting caught up on obstacles. Might be a very stupid question, but didnt feel like it would hurt to ask. Regardless of the answer looking forward to getting this unit installed. :)

Much stronger than stock.

If you manage to hurt it that bad, I'm sure they will warranty it for you.

NotURMailman 09-30-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMBNT42 (Post 12248857)
Mrblaine: Also, reall quick question to you. Will 33x10.5 tires on stock aluminum rims benefit significantly from those black magic pads over stock? What about rotors? Are new stock rotors fine or? Your thoughts please.

Blaine posted before that he highly recomends new Centirc premium rotors when installing BM pads.

biffgnar 09-30-2011 08:02 AM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by geiman (Post 12248882)
Can't comment on actual strength since I don't have one yet, but out of everyone that has purchased it I've only read about one person having an issue with it. I believe someone cracked something around the access plate (cracked the welds, not the actual aluminum skid) for your oil drain plug. I think it was mainly chalked up to a fluke, but either way Gerald had another plate on the way to him before he even sent back the old piece. I would imagine it's like their gas tank skid, which is warrantied for life against that kind of thing.

That was me. I managed to crack two of the welds on the bracket for the oil change access plate. New skid is sitting in my apartment right now and will go on this weekend (after which I'll send the old one back to Gerald). Plates themselves can absolutely take a beating. No problems at all.

mrblaine 09-30-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffgnar (Post 12248955)
That was me. I managed to crack two of the welds on the bracket for the oil change access plate. New skid is sitting in my apartment right now and will go on this weekend (after which I'll send the old one back to Gerald). Plates themselves can absolutely take a beating. No problems at all.

That's an easy design change to fix that problem. I've got a plate that is larger than the opening on the outside of it's perimeter and smaller than the inside so the access panel will have a place to land and the whole thing bolts on without welding.

The reason the first frame wasn't welded fully is welding T-6 drops its strength a lot and I didn't want a big softer spot right in the middle under the oil pan.

I also figured the chances of it ever taking a direct hit right on the panel to be fairly low and I was wrong.

glockster 09-30-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMBNT42 (Post 12248850)

You can sleep comfortably at night knowing you are better protected by SAVVY than you are by JEEP.

The time now is 04:19 AM.