Savvy gas tank skid offset - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-26-2020, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
RDPrimeaux

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Savvy gas tank skid offset

I had purchased a skid from Savvy some time ago and never installed it. When I put it on yesterday, I found that it offsets the tank 1 inch to the driver side. I went over the reviews and only found 1 person mentioned this. The mounting brackets that fit inside had a sharp edge that cut deeply into the tank.

Is this how it is supposed to fit?

2006 LJ Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-26-2020, 01:18 PM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I just installed my Savvy GTS last week to replace a Rokmen one I had. The shift to the driver side is for better exhaust/trackbar/shock clearance. Everything fit nice and snug for me with no damage to the tank. Make sure to lower the tank evenly into the skid or you'll have a harder time getting it in there.

Can you post some pics?

2001 White TJ Sport
2013 Black JKU Rubicon 10A
post #3 of 11 Old 05-27-2020, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
RDPrimeaux

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
The shift to the driver side is for better exhaust/trackbar/shock clearance.

Is that a guess, or did someone from Savvy tell you this? It would make no sense for shock clearance because now there is less room on the driver side. No track bar so there is no issue with that. No longer have factory exhaust either. I never noticed if the original skid was centered or not. If the factory skid is centered, moving the skid 1 inch to the driver side would make no sense, as there was no issues with the factory skid which has less clearance than the Savvy skid

2006 LJ Rubicon

post #4 of 11 Old 05-27-2020, 07:18 PM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDPrimeaux View Post
Is that a guess, or did someone from Savvy tell you this? It would make no sense for shock clearance because now there is less room on the driver side. No track bar so there is no issue with that. No longer have factory exhaust either. I never noticed if the original skid was centered or not. If the factory skid is centered, moving the skid 1 inch to the driver side would make no sense, as there was no issues with the factory skid which has less clearance than the Savvy skid
Not a guess... The passenger side needs room for the exhaust pipe routing, shock, and trackbar. Whereas, there is only a shock on the driver side. The stock gas tank may have had enough clearance for the way your rig is set up, but when you start adding larger suspension lift and rotate the rear pinion angle up, it pushes things back towards the gas tank. If you follow the rear trackbar travel arc, there is the least amount of clearance on the passenger side. This is usually where the trackbar will rub on the factory gas tank skid as the suspension cycles. Therefore, moving the tank back and to the driver side increases clearance at this possible interference.

There can also be clearance issues with the factory tank when installing larger diameter shocks and larger diameter exhaust piping. The gas tank skid was designed to fit factory setups as well as make it easier for common suspension and exhaust modifications. Why does it matter if you inconsequentially shift the tank to the driver side in order to prevent known issues on the passenger side?

You don't have to take my word for it. If you want an answer straight from the horse's mouth, PM Mrblaine. He is the designer of this skid.

2001 White TJ Sport
post #5 of 11 Old 05-29-2020, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
RDPrimeaux

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
I just find it funny I have only seen it mentioned 1 time, in a review. I can also look at the skid, which does not sit right, because it is offset. So if the offset on the mounting holes are intentional, why was the aluminum part not notched or built in a different way to work with the offset? I would think, by design, it would sit way better.d

It also leaves very little room for the factory shock mounting location. No where have I seen that this is designed to not work with factory set up.

2006 LJ Rubicon
post #6 of 11 Old 05-29-2020, 07:23 AM
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?
post #7 of 11 Old 05-29-2020, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
RDPrimeaux

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afusco1222 View Post
Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?

I am away from home for work at the moment. If you could imagine, with the skid in place, it sits one inch over to the driver side. At the rear of the skid, the driver side of the aluminum hits the crossmember that it mounts to. It is clearly offset to the driver side. If the holes on the mount (steel pieces) were centered, it would not hit the edge of the crossmember.

This is on a 2006 LJ. I have a body lift, and have the skid set to the raised position. If I were to cut the mounts horizontally and reweld them to center the skid, it would fit without hitting the rear crossmember.

It seems as if the holes are not in the correct spot. I will be contacting someone with Savvy today to get an answer.

2006 LJ Rubicon
post #8 of 11 Old 05-29-2020, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
RDPrimeaux

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage

I got this pic off a different site to show what I am talking about. I cant find one with the driver side but this skid is centered.

The area above and to the left of the tailpipe that is at an angle hits the skid on the driver side. On the passenger side on my jeep,

there is more clearance than this pic has. That tends to make me believe that this skid is centered, and mine is not.

2006 LJ Rubicon
post #9 of 11 Old 05-29-2020, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
RDPrimeaux

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
Why does it matter if you inconsequentially shift the tank to the driver side in order to prevent known issues on the passenger side?

You don't have to take my word for it. If you want an answer straight from the horse's mouth, PM Mrblaine. He is the designer of this skid.

It matters because it hits the crossmember. It would be great if you could post pics showing that yours is indeed shifted over to the driver side, making me understand that is the design on at least 3 of these skids. While I do not have thousands of posts on forums, I do have a good deal of mechanical ability to understand how things work for the most part. Your input would be taken better if I did not take it as condescending. Webwheeling for the most part, is really aggravating when someone talks down to you.

2006 LJ Rubicon
post #10 of 11 Old 05-29-2020, 09:29 AM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDPrimeaux View Post
It matters because it hits the crossmember. It would be great if you could post pics showing that yours is indeed shifted over to the driver side, making me understand that is the design on at least 3 of these skids. While I do not have thousands of posts on forums, I do have a good deal of mechanical ability to understand how things work for the most part. Your input would be taken better if I did not take it as condescending. Webwheeling for the most part, is really aggravating when someone talks down to you.
You didn't mention in your original post, or your first 3 posts that there was a fitment issue with the crossmember. It is possible that there is a defect, but hopefully not. I will post some pics of mine later today when I get the chance.

2001 White TJ Sport
post #11 of 11 Old 05-29-2020, 06:59 PM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Here are the pictures I took. I tried to get the tank at all angles. I can see where you might have an issue with the skid hitting the driver rear crossmember. It is tight in that area. Try to wiggle the tank assembly around while you lift it into place. There is some wiggle room with mounting.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear.jpg   Driver Side 1.jpg   Driver Side 2.jpg   Driver Side 3.jpg   Driver Side 4.jpg  

Passenger Side 1.jpg   Passenger Side 2.jpg   Passenger Side 3.jpg   Rear Trackbar.jpg  

2001 White TJ Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in