SAGGING and BOTTOMING after LOAD-OUT - JeepForum.com
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 Old 07-15-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

SAGGING and BOTTOMING after LOAD-OUT

My TJ has developed a nasty sag and bottoming problem as it gets out fitted and loaded out. I have the synergy/poly outboard kit and plan to fit 12" shocks in there. Still, it will sag, probably not bottom but still sag. I have not put the rear armor on yet.

I'm running a rubicon express 4.5" longarm kit. The springs are spec length when unsprung. I have put in a metalcloak spring relocation kit that netted 1/4" up and I added a 1/2" spacer. Those are the nutshell details

Would putting a pair of 5.5" re springs "fix it"? What do you overlander types do to keep out the sag?

I'm not looking to "take stuff off" that others think I don't need, lets not roll that path. I'm looking for a solution to the sag. THANKS kindly!

WSS

The family TJ build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

non stock CJ's:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My CJ5 Build:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 07-15-2019, 05:28 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If it isn't sitting as high as you want, you either need a taller spring or increased spring rate.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 81 Old 07-15-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Higher spring rate sounds like the answer. How do I achieve that? Is there a manufacturer that makes a higher rate spring? I don’t want to go any higher if possible. Thanks for the reply!!

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

post #4 of 81 Old 07-15-2019, 06:40 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How bout air bags inside the springs.
Ironhead and Kaptainkid1 like this.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #5 of 81 Old 07-15-2019, 07:54 PM
Dadamsnv

1977 CJ5 

Gravity butter? No not in this heat. Moon pull parachute? Nah that only works when the moons above you. Leaf springs? No those are for poor people.

Do you like the stock ride when the jeep is I unloaded? If so, helper bags may be the answer. I know youíre a fox guy, but I had a pair of shocks once you could add air to to boost the spring rate. I think they were monroes. It was like a built in helper bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WSS likes this.

I'm looking for a Scout II Dana 300. Drop me a line if you have any leads. Thanks
post #6 of 81 Old 07-15-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
How bout air bags inside the springs.
Full disclosure, I like rocks. I could not imagine a bag surviving long inside one of these springs.

However, if I am missing something, you have my attention.

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

post #7 of 81 Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
Gravity butter? No not in this heat. Moon pull parachute? Nah that only works when the moons above you. Leaf springs? No those are for poor people.

Do you like the stock ride when the jeep is I unloaded? If so, helper bags may be the answer. I know youíre a fox guy, but I had a pair of shocks once you could add air to to boost the spring rate. I think they were monroes. It was like a built in helper bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fox does make a 2.0 air shock. It is "generally" used inplace of a spring on rock buggies, etc.. Might be worth looking into.

I must say this too. This was the first trip to really utilize the new Fox 2.0 LSC (v2). Know, I just got out of the poor mans leaf springs, so I may be swallowing fairy dust, but those shocks were nothing short of amazing. as soon as a tire would feel like it was going to spin, the tire would touch the ground and grab a handful of traction, nice and slow, evenly. At least on the front.

So, I have started the preps to get a second set on the rear. I had Fullstack Motorsport do the tune, I suspect that had a lot to do with the performance too.

WSS

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

post #8 of 81 Old 07-16-2019, 12:06 AM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Carry less. That's a lot of stuff. Seriously.
Ross likes this.

2003 Rubicon

post #9 of 81 Old 07-16-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
Carry less. That's a lot of stuff. Seriously.
from post #1:

I'm not looking to "take stuff off" that others think I don't need, lets not roll that path. I'm looking for a solution to the sag. THANKS kindly!

That said, it is 6gl of fuel, a spare, (pelican) 20qt ice chest, 2gl of ice cold water, picnic basket, shovel/axe and a 30' strap (which was an after thought).

All the stuff needed to make a perfect day. Nothing like an ice cold drink out of a rotomolded chest and a sandwich with all the fixins on a picnic blanket tucked off the trail.
CrashOdle likes this.

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

post #10 of 81 Old 07-16-2019, 12:41 AM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I get that. But you are doing an outboard with tuned shocks, so performance must be of some concern. That Beverly Hillbilly pile hanging behind the rear axle is screwing up far more than just your rear ride height.

2003 Rubicon

2003 Rubicon

post #11 of 81 Old 07-16-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I get that. But you are doing an outboard with tuned shocks, so performance must be of some concern. That Beverly Hillbilly pile hanging behind the rear axle is screwing up far more than just your rear ride height.

2003 Rubicon

Ya, my Jeep, your opinion. No worries. I'm looking for an opinion from those who have solved the sag and still be hillbilly.

07wurubi and CrashOdle like this.

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

post #12 of 81 Old 07-16-2019, 02:44 AM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Increased spring rate will make for a stiff ride when unloaded, which I assume is the vast majority of the time
Taller springs will give ya back that rake when unloaded
Air bags in the springs are tough, alot tougher than ya think
FOX 2.0 air shocks? never herd of them
A second set of 'soft' air shocks? would look odd.....

Just quick thoughts
post #13 of 81 Old 07-16-2019, 05:04 AM
Goatman#1

The only way to have it both ways that I know of is to air bag it. Otherwise you'll need a much harder spring and that will ruin your ride the rest of the time. As said they are known to be tough. 18 wheelers use them. That should tell you how tough they are.
post #14 of 81 Old 07-16-2019, 05:41 AM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Quote:

2003 Rubicon
Ya, my Jeep, your opinion. No worries. I'm looking for an opinion from those who have solved the sag and still be hillbilly.

[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]
First, make sure your bump stops are correctly extended by removing the coils and cycling the axle with a floor jack. I forget if you did this after the recent shock incident.

With the Jeep back together and sitting at it's normal ride height, get a good measurement of the space between the lower axle pad and the bottom of the soft bump stop jounce. Also measure the inner diameter of the coil.

Call AirRide. Explain that the Jeep is not stock and that their usual recommendation will not work for your specific application (their recommendation is incorrect to begin with). Have them help find a load support bag that will fit within the measurements your took earlier. The bag measurements need to be in it's deflated state. And you are not going to cut the soft jounce.
20181214_192424_1563276624874.jpg

This needs to happen after you settle on the normal ride height with springs, after the outboard, after your bump stops have been reduced and the new shocks positioned. Or else you will be buying new bags.

2003 Rubicon

post #15 of 81 Old 07-16-2019, 05:57 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
My TJ has developed a nasty sag and bottoming problem as it gets out fitted and loaded out. I have the synergy/poly outboard kit and plan to fit 12" shocks in there. Still, it will sag, probably not bottom but still sag. I have not put the rear armor on yet.

I'm running a rubicon express 4.5" longarm kit. The springs are spec length when unsprung. I have put in a metalcloak spring relocation kit that netted 1/4" up and I added a 1/2" spacer. Those are the nutshell details

Would putting a pair of 5.5" re springs "fix it"? What do you overlander types do to keep out the sag?

WSS

What about the roof top tent?

The max payload for a stock TJ is 800lbs. Air bags are probably your best bet to deal with bottoming out but your performance and handling you still suffer. You probably have 1/3 (or more) of that out past your bumper, about the worst place to have it. Your jeep will always handle poorly when loaded like this.

I do so long weekend camping trips (overlanding to some). I did the load the **** out of my jeep thing a couple times but stopped. I tank a tent, a change or too of clothes, non perishable food (no ice chest, bottled water with flavor packets and 5 gallons of gas. If I go comfy camping I load up a trailer. There is a reason the Land Cruiser / Range Rover is popular for true overlanding and not the TJ.

Best solution for carrying all the stuff is buy a different vehicle.

01 TJ,33X12.5Falken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in