1Likes
  • 1 Post By joe_jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-07-2020, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
THETROOPER

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
S35 play and noises

I have an S35 with a detroit locker, 4.10 gears and 33s. I recently installed my lift, so new sye, rear driveshaft and rebuilt front ds. I've been chasing down some drivetrain noises, something that sounds like rubber rubbing against rubber caused by turning driveshafts, some low pitch roaring coming from the rear end and a squeak from the right rear. There was also a rather sketchy pop noise about a month ago as I was taking a left turn with a bit too much skinny pedal. I put the jeep on jack stands today, tested the front locker(aussie) and it works fine. I moved on to the rearend and I noticed about 1/4" of play in and out on either side. I've never noticed this play before. I pulled off the rear diff cover, and it's not just the axle shafts moving, pulling or pushing either side causes the entire locker to move about 1/8". Before I tear anything else apart, ie pull c-clips, locker, carrier bearings, I wanted to check with you fellas. Is this a common break? I'm suspecting carrier bearings, but could it be something internal in the locker? Any ideas about the angry sparrows that isn't angry sparrows? Thanks guys.

I'm new. I don't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-08-2020, 11:53 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

The carrier should have 0 play side to side. Are you seeing the entire carrier, and therefore the ring gear, moving side to side within the housing? If that's the case, I suppose it could be a carrier bearing - but more likely a bad install.

Doesn't the super 35 kit eliminate the C-Clips?

Jeff

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-08-2020, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
THETROOPER

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
It's the entire carrier moving, ring gear included. I don't think that it's a bad install, it's been in there for 3-4 years now with zero complaints and until now no movement. I believe that some S35s eliminate the C-clips but mine does not. It has the 30 spline discovery series shafts from superior and the detroit locker.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-08-2020, 07:24 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Doesn't the super 35 kit eliminate the C-Clips?

Jeff
no not usually.

any side play, is likely from a carrier bearing that failed.
poor set up is not an extra 1/8" of side to side play.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #5 of 11 Old 04-08-2020, 11:48 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The carrier could only move side-to-side if the shims were never installed or if the carrier bearings are toast and are coming apart.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 08:33 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I was actually thinking that something off with the install could have caused the carrier bearings to fail. Is that possible?

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #7 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 10:10 AM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
I was actually thinking that something off with the install could have caused the carrier bearings to fail. Is that possible?
way too tight a set up would likely eat the carrier bearings sooner or later.
or running dry of lubricant, or lube full of mud or water even would as well.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #8 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
THETROOPER

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Just got it all apart, nothing seems obviously destroyed. The carrier bearings don't look terrible at all. There is a small shim stack on the passenger side, I'm looking through old messages now to see if my buddy sent measurements. I left my jeep with my buddy for 3 years while I ran around europe. He did a whole lot of wrenching on it, including the regear/s35 install. It was his first regear, mine too, and we did a lot of figuring things out on the job. The novice regear thread on here was super helpful. If I can find measurements I'll post them here, if I had to guess I'd say that its not enough shims to keep the carrier centered.

post #9 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 07:57 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That'd have to be a fair bit of shims missing for the carrier to move an eighth inch side to side. I'm wondering if maybe the bearings weren't fully seated onto the carrier during the install.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #10 of 11 Old 04-10-2020, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
THETROOPER

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage

Not sure if this pic upload will work. It looks to me like the shims are on the wrong side of the bearings but I could be wrong. I'll be picking up some tools today to get actual measurements and such.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-10-2020, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
THETROOPER

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Not sure if this pic upload will work. It looks to me like the shims are on the wrong side of the bearings but I could be wrong. I'll be picking up some tools today to get actual measurements and such.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200409_204821.jpg   IMG_20200409_204806.jpg   IMG_20200409_204803.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in