RTV Bead or Smear? - JeepForum.com
View Poll Results: On a diff. cover, do you leave the RTV in a bead, or smear it around?
Leave it in a bead 66 85.71%
Spread it around, like butter on toast. 11 14.29%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
robert92679
2005 LJ Wrangler 

RTV Bead or Smear?

Just wondering, when you install differential covers, do you leave the RTV in a solid bead, or smear it around?

Do you think there are any benefits to one method or the other? Or, does it really not matter?

2005 Unlimited Rubicon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 09:10 PM
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You are suppossed to put down a bead. When you put the cover on it will spread out. If you smear you may get a leak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers,
, custom cv driveshafts,
, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s,
, Teraflex Bellyup,
, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage,
, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable
(12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with
dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
post #3 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 09:14 PM
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I run about a 1/4 inch bead all the way around the cover. I go around each bolt hole, even though you really only need to go around on the inside the bolt hole.

Make sure you read the directions. Most have an hour wait time. If you do not follow the directions it will leak!!!

Most say after running the bead bolt cover in place finger tight. Let sit an hour. Then torque down bolts and fill.

The one time I was in a hurry I just tightened the bolts and filled the diff. It starting leaking 5k later.

2004 Black Rubicon w/ 5 spd

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch

post #4 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 09:19 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It takes RTV a heck of a lot longer than an hour to set.
Agree on just snug it down and then wait, but I usually wait overnight to torque then fill.
On the other hand, I've never seen a shop wait, and they seem to seal fine...

|
|
post #5 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 09:24 PM
kizer

I place a bead and then smear it around to insure the entire surface has a thin coat. I torque all the bolts just a little bit less than spec then again at spec. Ive yet to wait any longer than 10minutes and Ive never had a leak.

Its never failed and since it works for me Im going to continue my method. Is it the correct method? Sounds like it isn't, but it speaks for it self.

1600+ Write-ups, and more

|
post #6 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Rocky529

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Leave it in a bead, and avoid placing the bead around your holes in the cover. Gently place the cover against the differential, and hand thread all the bolts. Once you crank them down, the RTV should not smear onto the threads of the bolts and a little RTV should "ooze" out creating a seal.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
post #7 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Michael_K

Bead, otherwise you are risking bubbles.

Michael K.

DailyDrivenTJ.com
JUST For Jeep TJ Owners Around the World!
post #8 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 10:21 PM
alvinl

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have always used a bead and run it around all bolt holes. I do 1 diff, snug the bolts up finger tight then let it dry while I do the other diff. Or let them both sit while changing the tranny and transfer case fluid. Then torque down and fill. So I give them some time to dry, but not overly long. I have yet to have one leak. But now that i've said that, I bet my last diff job leaks...
post #9 of 47 Old 01-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Materdaddy

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bead, Bead, Bead!!!

O|||||||O

post #10 of 47 Old 01-04-2007, 01:22 AM
UCTJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Put a nice even bead...not too thick it will just spooge out anyway. But a nice even bead, never had a diff on me.
post #11 of 47 Old 01-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Brew461

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTJ
Put a nice even bead...not too thick it will just spooge out anyway. But a nice even bead, never had a diff on me.

Is it a concern if the RTV "spooges" a little to the inside and makes it into the carrier?
post #12 of 47 Old 01-04-2007, 03:21 AM
Jeremy99

I have reusable gaskets now, but in the past I would apply a bead and spread it evenly across the sealing surface. I would then wait 3-5 mins for the sealant to "film" over (allow the exposed layer to begin to set), then I would install the cover and finger tighten the bolts. I have never allowed time before I torque down the bolts, not that it was a race to tighten them or anything. I never had any leaks. Seems like I read that method on the back of a tube of sealant one time.
post #13 of 47 Old 01-04-2007, 05:23 AM
Michael_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew461
Is it a concern if the RTV "spooges" a little to the inside and makes it into the carrier?
Unless you got something sensitive like limited slip clutch, I would not worry about RTV damaging high strength steel.

Michael K.

DailyDrivenTJ.com
JUST For Jeep TJ Owners Around the World!
post #14 of 47 Old 01-04-2007, 07:16 AM
PeteC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bead.......always a bead.

Let the pressure of tightening the metal surfaces together spread the material. That is the way this stuff was designed to work. The pressures will put it where it needs to go. If you smear it on in a thin coat you may not have enough in a certain spot to fill all voids. Even cork gaskets had some give to fill voids. Actually, I was raised to use a thin bead of RTV on cork gaskets just to insure a first time seal. Overkill maybe, but hell, my dad learned that as an aircraft mechanic.

Anyway, that's how I roll.

p.s. For those that use the smear method, if it works for you, cool.

'00 TJ With toys, lift and tires.
'10 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4x4. Daily driver and tow rig
'05 Dodge Neon. Wifes daily driver and gas sipper.
There is no Bandaid for Stupidity
Sorry if my support of legal wheeling offends you
post #15 of 47 Old 01-04-2007, 09:40 AM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think the answer to getting a leak free seal is Clean Surfaces.
I don't think beading, smearing, paper gaskets or rubber gaskets matters so much, but good clean surfaces for the sealing medium to seal to is important - even more so with silicone than with gaskets.

|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in