Rough Country 2.5" Lift?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 33 Old 11-10-2013, 10:58 AM
IslandHopper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do what you want... debt is the American Way!

(but if you're using LOANS to pay RENT, then you don't REALLY have money to spend on a toy... just sayin')

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 Old 11-10-2013, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
apayne
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Do what you want... debt is the American Way!

(but if you're using LOANS to pay RENT, then you don't REALLY have money to spend on a toy... just sayin')
Hmm sounds like you know more about my life then I do. Thanks for the input.

Advocare - We Build Champions!
www.advocare.com/1210313
post #18 of 33 Old 11-10-2013, 01:55 PM
goodwrenchdave
2008 JK Wrangler 

For what you want to do and go (light trail, on road- probably not rock crawling) . Go for it. It's about the closest thing to a stock feel or BB but done better. RC coils do get good reviews as a general purpose lift ... I got them, so do a lot of customers and don't regret it. Heck I just wanted my stock height back...as my OEM springs were sagging . Canadian prices are usually much higher than US, yet I found these locally for the same price. These were cheaper than stock even with my parts discount and lifted enough so that the 31s didn't look "stuffed" . I did get my 2.5 inches over stock (for whatever reason mine evened out with a winch in the front. without it I ended up 1/2 more lift (3) in front). Just don't expect to load down the TJ with armor and a winch without loosing a 1/2 or more. But that goes for every coil out there- at 140lb/inch spring rate you'll lose about 1/2 inch every 140lb you place over that axle: at 160lb/inch you can place 40 more lbs. for same loss etc. Be prepared that it will settle in first month...this is not sag and all coil springs do this to a certain degree.
Only thing missing in kit is the bump stops which you'll only need if your tire choice hit fenders, shock choice bottom out or you get coil bind before bump stop contact on full compression. This has to be measured regardless of brand.

Let's say you put them in and later don't like it or want something heavy duty/ higher? Sell the springs/kit. I'm sure you can get at least half your money back or more (depends how old they are and market).
And remember ....there is no "return value on investment" regardless of brand for modified jeeps (for the most part). When buying a jeep (or any other 4X4); the rule of thumb around here is : "if it's modified; chances are it's abused or not certified (done properly) - so your taking chances"- "always buy stock with service history and modify it as per your necessity "

post #19 of 33 Old 11-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Tylerl217
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Put in the rc 2.5 lift and 33/12.5/15 on yesterday easy install and the shocks are as little rough but easy enough to replace later on I say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
post #20 of 33 Old 11-10-2013, 06:08 PM
IslandHopper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apayne View Post
Hmm sounds like you know more about my life then I do. Thanks for the input.
Just more about life in general... not yours specifically.
post #21 of 33 Old 11-11-2013, 04:38 AM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Go get the lift and don't worry about it. That lift is a couple hundred bucks and isn't going to be some life altering debt.
post #22 of 33 Old 11-11-2013, 04:58 AM
jscusmcvet

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have this lift on my LJ. Springs are fine, shocks are harsh.

Je Suis Prest ~ Semper Fi
post #23 of 33 Old 11-11-2013, 06:42 AM
Trendsetter75

2010 JK Wrangler 

The RC front springs seem to sag i think they are rated for the 2.5 engine but the RC rears are good. Go with BDS or Zone Hydro shocks

2010 JKU (6-spd)
post #24 of 33 Old 11-11-2013, 07:28 AM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter75 View Post
The RC front springs seem to sag i think they are rated for the 2.5 engine but the RC rears are good. Go with BDS or Zone Hydro shocks
The rc spring is engine specific and you chose which one you need at time of purchase. They don't sag they simply are low rate and don't support weight as well as higher rate springs do. I would rather have the rc 2.5" spring on a light rig than a 2" bds.
post #25 of 33 Old 11-11-2013, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
apayne
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
Go get the lift and don't worry about it. That lift is a couple hundred bucks and isn't going to be some life altering debt.
I went with the zone 2in for now with plans to buy the RC springs eventually to use with the zone shocks that I have heard to be better quality shocks.

Advocare - We Build Champions!
www.advocare.com/1210313
post #26 of 33 Old 11-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
The rc spring is engine specific and you chose which one you need at time of purchase. They don't sag they simply are low rate and don't support weight as well as higher rate springs do. I would rather have the rc 2.5" spring on a light rig than a 2" bds.
RC even admits they have/had sagging issues....

From the RC rep on WF:
Quote:
The coils we are packing now and will start shipping next week are not a progressive rate due to having issues with the added weight of bumpers and tire carriers then people complaining about coils sagging.
From here:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/zone...ml#post5762154

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #27 of 33 Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 AM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

RC even admits they have/had sagging issues....

From the RC rep on WF:

From here:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/zone...ml#post5762154
This supports what I said earlier. Rc springs don't support heavy weight and weren't designed for such. Any spring will will lose height with added weight which is why picking the best spring rate for your intended use is important.

Rc also uses a different manufacturer now and hasn't seemed to have the fatigue issues they once did a couple years ago.
post #28 of 33 Old 11-17-2013, 07:19 PM
silvertub2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same lift, was thinkin on putting a 1 inch coil spacer in with just 33s any thoughts? Good or bad idea?
post #29 of 33 Old 11-17-2013, 07:31 PM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertub2000 View Post
I have the same lift, was thinkin on putting a 1 inch coil spacer in with just 33s any thoughts? Good or bad idea?
I don't care for spacers. You can add a 1" body lift and get the height without the potential need for additional bump stop extension, or longer shocks.
post #30 of 33 Old 11-22-2013, 04:19 PM
silvertub2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone able to clear 33s with this lift?, does it rub?

Tags
rc 2.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in