Rostra Aftermarket Cruise Control - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-30-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
liventoride

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Rostra Aftermarket Cruise Control

I've been looking to install cruise control for a few months now. After searching the various forums I thought I had a glimmer of hope when found out I may be pre-wired already and could just get the kit from JeepsAreUs but, alas, I did not have the plug which meant I would be paying almost $700 for a complete kit.

I began looking up aftermarket cruise controls and came across Rostra universal Cruise and after reading about the application I decided to give it a try. After putting my Jeep information in the website and determining the parts needed I ended up getting the following parts from Summit Racing for under $300:

250-1223 - Cruise Control Kit
250-3742 - Cruise Control Switch
250-4206 - Clutch Switch Kit

Installation was a breeze as the instructions from Rostra are very thorough. The hardest part was locating the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) wire where it connected the the PCM. Overall installation took about 3 hours including rewiring my hand throttle.

Finished Installation Pics:

Lever Installed

Throttle Cable Installed

Module Installed.

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Duranpe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting pics.

I ran into same issue with my 2003 TJ. It's not pre wired and the oem kit is too costly if I have to buy the wiring separate. Best price oem kit i have found was $559 with wiring kit, from jeepsareus. It's ashame that mopar left us out to dry without oem parts. There is so many jeeps out there without cc figured there be a good market for them to continue offering an oem cc kit.

I plan I going with rostra aftermarket kit. I think I have different part number for the switch. I believe it's just a flexible level vs fixed. I plan to order from thecruisecontrolstore.com. their estimate is about $259 plus shipping.

On your install, did you have to drill through the firewall or were you able to locate and utlize an existing opening. Is this why you located servo on firewall and not on driver sider fender wall?

Can you provide any pics and info on how you tied wires to fuse box for brake, clutch, and anything else? Also please provide pic of connection to vss? Did you need any addition parts or wiring that was not included in kit?

Did you need to tie into the PCM? I take it you dont and that is why there is no need to have dealership reflash PCM. Is that correct?

How well does the cc work? Some tend to over accellerate on steep climbs. Some only have preset speed options, like 50 or 55 mph nothing in between. Hope that's not the case.

Thanks in advance for a prompt response. I plan on ordering this week.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
liventoride

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranpe View Post
On your install, did you have to drill through the firewall or were you able to locate and utlize an existing opening. Is this why you located servo on firewall and not on driver sider fender wall?
I was able to use an existing grommet that was in the firewall that the automatic transmission cable used to run through and my hand throttle cable currently runs through.

Firewall Grommet Inside

Firewall Grommet Engine Bay

I decided to mount the servo on the firewall for a couple of reasons. First was because it was the highest out of the way open area I could find. Second was if I mounted it on the fender then the servo cable would have been a pretty tight angle back to the throttle body but it would probably still work now that I look at the picture. Last was it let me run the cable straight down to the firewall.

Servo Cable Route

Quote:
Can you provide any pics and info on how you tied wires to fuse box for brake, clutch, and anything else? Also please provide pic of connection to vss? Did you need any addition parts or wiring that was not included in kit?
I have a fuse block mounted under my dash that I use for positive/negative wires. The clutch switch was mounted with an included bracket to an existing hole in front of the clutch pedal. It just took some test fitting and bending to get it to contact correctly. For the hot wire that was switched off the ignition I tied into the 12v cigarette lighter wire

As for tying into the VSS I knew the wire color was White/Orange for mine so I followed it from the transfer case back up to where it ties into the main harness and spliced into it about a foot from the PCM.

Clutch Switch Mount

Fuse Block

VSS Wire Tie-In

No other parts except some zip ties, some electrical tape, and some extra wire butt joints was needed. The kit actually comes with more then you need to install it.

Quote:
Did you need to tie into the PCM? I take it you dont and that is why there is no need to have dealership reflash PCM. Is that correct?
You do not have to tie into the PCM and no flash is required.

Quote:
How well does the cc work? Some tend to over accellerate on steep climbs. Some only have preset speed options, like 50 or 55 mph nothing in between. Hope that's not the case.
The cruise control works great. I set it with the recommended starting settings and haven't had to change it. I holds speed exactly where you set it at, the accelerate/decelerate function works great. I think you'll be pleased with it.

post #4 of 20 Old 01-08-2012, 08:43 AM
hughes278

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would have just made a hand throttle for 10$
post #5 of 20 Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
liventoride

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
A hand throttle would have accomplished the same thing if tightened down and I could use mine as a one. I just don't like the idea of having my throttle physically set open at highway speeds.

post #6 of 20 Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 AM
hughes278

2006 TJ Wrangler 

At any rate, good write-up
post #7 of 20 Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 AM
danielbuck

1946 CJ2 

Quote:
How well does the cc work? Some tend to over accellerate on steep climbs.
My factory cruise control over accellerates on some hills if I have enough power in that gear to do so. Not by alot though, only by like 2mph or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Teal97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you very much for posting this. I`ve been looking at this very same kit for my TJ, going to order one tomorrow.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-08-2012, 07:03 PM
rdock31
1999 TJ Wrangler 

With this setup does the cruise light in the dash light up when cc is on? How do you know If you forget to turn cc off?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BDS - Savvy - Brown Dog - AtoZ - Metalcloak - Falken - RC
post #10 of 20 Old 01-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Teal97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Look at the pic of the lever install. The green light on the stalk shows when on or off.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-08-2012, 08:10 PM
rdock31
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely must have just looked right past that, thanks!

BDS - Savvy - Brown Dog - AtoZ - Metalcloak - Falken - RC
post #12 of 20 Old 02-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Teal97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got mine in and installed. Works great.
post #13 of 20 Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 PM
jeffreybomb
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This is just the thread I've been looking for. Any updates? Does it still work without a problem?

I've been looking for cruise control information because I don't think I can make the 1,352 mile trip to Moab next year without it.

"And the Chicago Cubs win the World Series!"
post #14 of 20 Old 04-28-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
liventoride

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Mine still works as good as then day I installed it. No problems so far.

post #15 of 20 Old 04-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Teal97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine works like a charm. Really glad I got one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in