ROKMEN Highline fender hood mod. Body tech style. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 186 Old 04-13-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

ROKMEN Highline fender hood mod. Body tech style.

I recently ordered and installed a set of Rokmen Highline Fenders. Anyone that has seen these knows the quality I am talking about.

I am a body tech, so I figured I would do a Highline hood modification thread on JF.
I am not affiated with Rokmen in anyway, Just another very satisfied customer. I just thought JF needed this thread for the technical aspect. Thanks for looking and stay tuned for more pictures and descriptions .

Starting with the Highline Install. The kit Rokmen sells is a DIY configuration. I would of loved to have the egdes TIG welded who wouldn't. But I am in Nashville. Rokmen is in Colorado. Not gonna happen at his time. Maybe a cage later.
I assembled the fenders, clamped in place and started welding with my 120v mig wire welder. Tack everything possible. Then grinded all my welds although they are good. But no sexy TIG. I then layed down a very thin coat of dynaglass body filler, then a thin coat of Platinuim body filler. sanded with 180 grit. Primed and based out. Waiting on the Hood for finish painting.

Now for the Hood.

Cut one time 1/4 in above the body line.
Then close hood.

Nice fit in the back, but the hood is sloped towards the front.
Make second cut wedge style from back to front.
This is a nice fit, You can stop here and add some trim and add some Hood pins.

But why?
I then took the pieces I cut off. cleaned them up, trimed off the reinforcments from the inside. Cleaned up the egde of the hood with a grinder and began the finished mod.

I tack welded the original edge from the hood back on the hood.
The problem now is the front does not match up, Easy just split the end like a wedge.

Then use a hammer lighly form the new front corner then repeat on the other side.

More pictures and write up to come. I am still in the process of finishing the body work on the hood and intstalling the hood catches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K.C.C.O.
Carpe Diem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Hendrix; 04-19-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 186 Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 PM
rats

2004 TJ Wrangler 

great DIY. I really haven't cared for the hoods that are just trimmed. You really do lose a lot of strength when you trim off the bend at the bottom. Really nice job.
post #3 of 186 Old 04-13-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

More pictures.

K.C.C.O.
Carpe Diem

post #4 of 186 Old 04-13-2010, 09:00 PM
rats

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't forget to spray the sides of the grill. Just a little touch-up where the fenders were at would make it look great.
post #5 of 186 Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 AM
gribbles

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks really good man, excited to see this thing finished

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
post #6 of 186 Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribbles View Post
Looks really good man, excited to see this thing finished
Dude. New pictures 2marrow

K.C.C.O.
Carpe Diem

post #7 of 186 Old 04-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Polecat

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice pics...for some reason it looks like an old school Willys.

Over the mountains and through the woods, across the stream and up the slickrock, down the canyon and over the rocks to nobody's house I go.
post #8 of 186 Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Updated new pictures I am a little behind so I will have some inprocess and finished pictures later this week.

I will be adressing the inside of the Hood tomarrow. I have to make a filler plate to the front stucture on the inside of the hood. Also smooth out the seam along both sides where I spot welded the trimmed off edge back on.

I finished up the outside tonight. I decided to fix a few other dents. I will prime tomarrow and hopfully paint later this week.

Any questions feel free to PM or post I am on here about every night.

K.C.C.O.
Carpe Diem

post #9 of 186 Old 04-19-2010, 08:02 PM
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When can I come drop my jeep off and I will buy food and beer and we could get to work?
post #10 of 186 Old 04-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That looks pretty good. Lots of attention to detail here
post #11 of 186 Old 04-19-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhallissey View Post
When can I come drop my jeep off and I will buy food and beer and we could get to work?
I do work for good Food and great Beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
That looks pretty good. Lots of attention to detail here
Thanks I am very picky. I just did not want the edge to cut me or always getting bent up.

So I decided this was the only way to do it right. Without buying a AEV hood.
The finished mod is very easy I think.

K.C.C.O.
Carpe Diem

post #12 of 186 Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 PM
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well then I will bring down the 30 dollar a pound rib eyes and a keg of Guiness and Sam Adams sound good?! I will supply parts we can solve the labor with the food
post #13 of 186 Old 04-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Recoil

1988 MJ Comanche 

looking great man Im crawling this

\/ \/ \/

post #14 of 186 Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhallissey View Post
Well then I will bring down the 30 dollar a pound rib eyes and a keg of Guiness and Sam Adams sound good?! I will supply parts we can solve the labor with the food
Sounds great.

K.C.C.O.
Carpe Diem

post #15 of 186 Old 04-19-2010, 08:52 PM
atxzj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nicely done.

Old stretch thread:
New stretch thread: http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=48591

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in