Rock Slider Advice please? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
RubiconChris
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rock Slider Advice please?

I just put on full length smittybilt xrc corner guards on my 05 Rubicon and want to upgrade my rocker guards. I like the guards from metal cloak and poison spider customs. Any other companies I should be considering? I need them to come all the way up to the bottom of the door connect to the body mounts and have the slider tube on the side. Thanks guys

2015 Jeep Wrangler Willy`s Edition with 2.5 inch Tera Flex BB with quick disco`s. Much more to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 AM
calabrate2

1997 TJ Wrangler 

A to Z, great build quality
post #3 of 18 Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 AM
TexasTJ
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
x2 for A to Z Fab http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...cat=249&page=1
You can get it between flares or wheelwell to wheelwell.

Sold 11/18/19 :(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May TJ of the Month 2015

post #4 of 18 Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
RubiconChris
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thats funny, I just talked to Zack through email. I live about an hour away and already have his winch plate on my Jeep. He gave me a good price. Just weighing my options. He said they dont mount to the body mounts. That concerns me.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Willy`s Edition with 2.5 inch Tera Flex BB with quick disco`s. Much more to come!
post #5 of 18 Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 AM
TheRealKTrain
JK Wrangler 

Look into JCR products.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Μολὼν λαβέ
post #6 of 18 Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Barcus

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconChris View Post
Thats funny, I just talked to Zack through email. I live about an hour away and already have his winch plate on my Jeep. He gave me a good price. Just weighing my options. He said they dont mount to the body mounts. That concerns me.
Why does that concern you? I have some sliders that I cut the body mounts off and drilled 2 holes through the tub and sliders for extra support. My fear was ripping a body mount off one day and in the process tweak the tub and sliders. Plus, they are a pain to install on body mounts anyway.

98 TJ Currie arms-RC 2.5 coils-RC 2.0 shocks-1.25 BL-TF rear track bar-custom bumpstops-mud-scratches-gas.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcus View Post
Why does that concern you? I have some sliders that I cut the body mounts off and drilled 2 holes through the tub and sliders for extra support. My fear was ripping a body mount off one day and in the process tweak the tub and sliders. Plus, they are a pain to install on body mounts anyway.
i dont get it. in order to damage the body mount, you would have to hit the slider pretty hard. hard enough that you are going to be putting stress on the mount anyways. and most that connect to body mounts connect to atleast two of them, if not all three. I would think that would spread the stress a bit more than not connecting to the mounts. pain to install? lossen 5 bolts per side, use a jack and a 4x4. really not that difficult. i found that it made lining up the other holes, and drilling them, much easier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Barcus

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead_Jed View Post
i dont get it. in order to damage the body mount, you would have to hit the slider pretty hard. hard enough that you are going to be putting stress on the mount anyways. and most that connect to body mounts connect to atleast two of them, if not all three. I would think that would spread the stress a bit more than not connecting to the mounts. pain to install? lossen 5 bolts per side, use a jack and a 4x4. really not that difficult. i found that it made lining up the other holes, and drilling them, much easier
I meant hitting the actual body mount itself...with a rock or tree. I was probably just over thinking but I like the way I did it. I took them off recently to sand and repaint and didnt have to use a jack to take them off or put them back on. also, down the road I plan to replace the body mounts with raised mounts anyway from genright.

98 TJ Currie arms-RC 2.5 coils-RC 2.0 shocks-1.25 BL-TF rear track bar-custom bumpstops-mud-scratches-gas.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-16-2012, 01:46 PM
geiman
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure what the need for mounting to the body mounts are; it's not needed in my opinion, but to each his own. I'd suggest to look at Savvy's stuff as well, but they don't bolt to the body mounts. I've landed hard enough on my sliders more than enough to not question their strength. I'm not a fan of the tube style sliders, so Savvy's fit the bill for me. I have their step slider:

post #10 of 18 Old 10-16-2012, 03:41 PM
scot68

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I also have the A to Z ww2ww set, good quality and Zach was great to deal with however if I had it to do over again I would go with Savvy's due to the weight savings. The A to Z (or any other quality steel set) weigh in at approx. 80lbs for the pair!
post #11 of 18 Old 10-16-2012, 04:13 PM
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I will, like others, heartily endorse the A-to-Z product. I have one of the first of the Wheel-well-to-wheel well version, and they're niiiice.

Blue Jeep Club Member #197
'02 TJ - 33" BFG MT's's, some armor, yadda yadda. 2" BDS lift/1"BL
'94 ZJ - May it rest in pieces.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Jeepin72

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have TnT Customs. They are very well built. I have hit them plenty hard and they have survived. They do not use the body mounts. They wrap all the way to the frame rails though.

The Savvy's come with an internal brace which is a bonus, but you can down to any Lowes and pick up some cold rolled and make your own internal brace. GenRight has the internal brace option as well.

I have several buddys with the Poison Spyders. No complaints. They use the body mounts and are very solid. I have heard the body mount issue can be a minus. If you hit them hard enough you can tweak the body mounts instead of crushing the tub. I haven't seen it happen, but I read about it on JF!

post #13 of 18 Old 10-16-2012, 09:08 PM
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My rock ribz don't go under the body mount either and I don't see a problem with it.

I'd like to think Currie knows why it's designed the way it is.

An ugly Jeep with some stuff.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Ruff88
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'll add another vote for TNT Customs. Great products, I've got their front and rear tube fenders and the rocker gaurds. Very good quality and service!
post #15 of 18 Old 10-17-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
RubiconChris
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have any experiance with the Smittybilt XRC rocker guards? I know the powder coat is crappy but they seem to be made pretty decent. I would like to get them because I have the Smitty XRC 3/16 full length rear corner guards and they would fit together really well. They need to be tough. $208 shipped to my house seems pretty decent. Any Opinions?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in