Rock Hard Sport Cage Install Problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 91 Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Rock Hard Sport Cage Install Problem

I got my sports cage installed this weekend, but I now have a problem. My door surrounds won't slide far enough forward because the main A-pillar bars attach to the spreader bars too far back. I can't move the bars back any further because they're bolted to the firewall and I can angle the bars back with a spacer because my door won't shut then. Do I just have it bolt up funny or do I need to trim my door surrounds so they'll work. I'm at least 1/8" off, probably closer to 1/4". You can see in the picture below that the collar on the a-pillar bar wouldn't tighten any more. Its as tight as I can make it, and I can't raise it based on where it is attached to the firewall. Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

put the door surrounds on and take a picture from the top looking down onto the interference. i can't picture what your saying...

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #3 of 91 Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 PM
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

try putting them on the top first and then wedging them into the back part? I'd like to see pictures too...I know people use this with a soft top...

Other Vehicles:
07 Mustang, Whipple, 465 rwhp, Magnaflow, Hurst , AVIC D3, Spec 3+, BMR CA's, Autometer, FRPP Springs

08 F150 5.4L, Super 40 SIDO, Roush Grille, Edge Evolution, Truxport, 2.5" AS Level, 1.5" AAL, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers

post #4 of 91 Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 PM
kolten493

i had the same problem, take a dremel to the edge of the door surround and just clearance it out (shave off a bit)
post #5 of 91 Old 03-09-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I can't get any pictures until tomorrow (too dark outside), but I had another idea. I thought that maybe my windshield isn't far enough back. I'm going to try loosening the the couplings on the a-pillar bars and the horizontal bar between the spreaders as well as the bolts that hold the stock spreader bars in place. Then I can see if the windshield frame can pivot toward the rear of the vehicle any farther. If it does, then the a-pillar bars will stay in place increasing the distance between the coupling and the door surround bolt hole. Crossing my fingers. I'd rather not trim my door surrounds if I don't have to.

post #6 of 91 Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 PM
JakeAW
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I also had the same problem and also used a dremel to cut out the surround piece that was in the way.

'98 TJ Emerald Pearl Coat
post #7 of 91 Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Tom Hartz
1967 CJ5 

I have installed three of them and they all had to be cut a little, not a big thing.

Tom
post #8 of 91 Old 03-10-2009, 08:00 AM
puttputt56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Rock Hard Sports Bar

I installed the same Rock Hard Sports bar and if my memory serves the instruction says you may have to trim door top trim some. You also need to loosen all the mounting points so those bar clamps can be tightened all the way. Even the rubber stops near the bottom of the windshield may have to be trimmed some (mine did). Tighten everything in steps not one all the way then going to the next one. puttputt56
post #9 of 91 Old 03-10-2009, 08:30 AM
nriver
2011 JK Wrangler 

Just trim the plastic. Its more important that the cage fits properly, IMHO. I left my surrounds off. I have not noticed any issues.

Nice looking color match on the cage, btw.
post #10 of 91 Old 03-10-2009, 08:35 AM
gabriel05
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hijack a bit but I notice that the dash spreader bar looks like it's sitting on top of the windshield defrost vent. Has anyone notices this being an issue? I'm looking into this cage but this is my DD and being in Michigan I'm going to need that defrost.
post #11 of 91 Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 AM
DBLJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

People have said that the defroster still works well with that bar.

Buy my transmission cooler. Derale TJ cooler.

post #12 of 91 Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I actually have some space between the bar and vent, the picture just doesn't show it. Does anyone have pictures of how they trimmed the door surrounds?

post #13 of 91 Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 AM
nriver
2011 JK Wrangler 

my defroster works with the bar in place. Makes a nice hand warmer, just hold the bar.
post #14 of 91 Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
cvd

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Does that bar across the dash block your view out the windshield?
post #15 of 91 Old 03-10-2009, 01:03 PM
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvd View Post
Does that bar across the dash block your view out the windshield?
I've looked at pictures of this setup...hundreds of pictures...and it doesn't appear to be an higher than the dash where the gauges are.

Other Vehicles:
07 Mustang, Whipple, 465 rwhp, Magnaflow, Hurst , AVIC D3, Spec 3+, BMR CA's, Autometer, FRPP Springs

08 F150 5.4L, Super 40 SIDO, Roush Grille, Edge Evolution, Truxport, 2.5" AS Level, 1.5" AAL, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in