Road Trip tips. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2jhanna

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-06-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Mitchell_ohl10

Road Trip tips.

I am about to take my jeep over halfway across the country, around 2100 miles. Anyone have any tips on how to prepare my TJ for this kind of a trip?

m.ohl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-06-2020, 09:01 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure the brakes work, tires are inflated properly, you have a good spare tire and tools to change it if need be, fill up the gas tank, and bring earplugs if you don't have A/C. A decent road atlas and a good attitude can make all the difference in the world. Don't forget to have fun.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 13 Old 07-06-2020, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Mitchell_ohl10

Thanks! Appreciate it.

m.ohl

post #4 of 13 Old 07-06-2020, 09:24 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Reach out to member, armyRN, or if you're lucky he'll chime in.

Are you just making a long road trip, or something more.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #5 of 13 Old 07-06-2020, 10:17 PM
natedenver

Have a couple thousand set aside for work on the J.E.E.P

Just Empty Every Pocket

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 Old 07-07-2020, 06:47 PM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Every other year I drive out west for a two week trip. May 2019 I drove 4,000 miles over 16 days. With a TJ, it's not how many miles it is to the next destination, it is how many gallons of gas that it takes. Best thing I did, especially in western states is to carry some extra gas. I never had to use it, but it was nice having it like a security blanket.

Enjoy the drive...

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Tacoma TRD OR

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

post #7 of 13 Old 07-07-2020, 07:00 PM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check the fluids, check for leaks, check all u joints and steering. That's it. Keep it simple and don't sweat it. I've done multiple cross country trips in my high mileage Jeep. Don't over think it and don't over pack.

97 TJ sport.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-07-2020, 07:04 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Gorgie, funny you mention extra gas and western states. Last year I made several trips on I-40 from Texas and California in my F150. My truck has a range of 500 miles per fillup. I almost got myself in trouble a few times on my first trip. I'd pass a city full of gas stations because I still had half a tank, and I hate to stop. I soon learned that these cities can be 100s of miles apart, and the half tank I had wouldn't get me to the next city.

Then you see an old single pump station in the middle of nowhere charging a pound of gold per gallon. After having to stop a couple times at these, I planned my stops a little more carefully, even if I had plenty of gas still in the tank.
grogie likes this.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #9 of 13 Old 07-09-2020, 03:26 PM
batman137
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you’re going through Montana or Wyoming and you have a half tank of gas or less, you stop at the first station you see and fill up!
Also bring an extra gas can.
And carry some cash in case you run out of gas and need to catch a ride.
A sturdy piece of cardboard and a sharpie should also be on your list as it can create a makeshift “help I ran out of gas” sign.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-09-2020, 04:14 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Batman, you're correct on the cash. I learned a few years ago to have a few hundred $ bills folded up and 5 twenties. And this was on top of my normal pocket spending money.

You never know when somebody doesn't take a credit card or "the network is down".

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #11 of 13 Old 07-09-2020, 05:19 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Funny, I've lost track of the number of long distance trips I've taken over the years and only once did I bring extra fuel with me, and all that managed to do was make me push the distance without filling up more than I should have, causing me to actually need the extra fuel. The rule of thumb that has served me well is to always fill up when I'm at or near a quarter of a tank, and when travelling in states with long distances between towns to take a look at my road atlas to determine if I need to fill up sooner than that.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #12 of 13 Old 07-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Take gas & cash, always good advice.

That reminds me that several yrs ago, maybe more, we were leaving Denver heading for Rapid City on a nice Sunday afternoon. Disliking using Interstates when leisurely traveling & the fact that no interstate takes you close to RC we left I76 & headed north on US 385, tank full as always. We were not actually looking for gas as we passed through several small towns but looking at gas prices. One problem, every town did have a station or 2 but being Sunday every one was closed! By the time we got to the larger town of Alliance & there were stations open we did not hesitate to fill up. With the extra gas we always carry (& never seem to need) we were not in actual danger of running out but seeing station after station closed does get your attention.

With limited space in a TJ take a basic set of tools, gas & jumper cables. Decide you will just buy whatever parts you may need if you do break down. If you take 20 different parts the chance whatever breaks will not be one of the 20 you brought.

Murphy’s Law, you know…
post #13 of 13 Old 07-09-2020, 07:45 PM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Funny, I've lost track of the number of long distance trips I've taken over the years and only once did I bring extra fuel with me, and all that managed to do was make me push the distance without filling up more than I should have, causing me to actually need the extra fuel. The rule of thumb that has served me well is to always fill up when I'm at or near a quarter of a tank, and when travelling in states with long distances between towns to take a look at my road atlas to determine if I need to fill up sooner than that.
I agree with this, and I advise not carrying extra gas. Know what you need and carry what you need. It's a slippery slope of packing too much junk.

97 TJ sport.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in