RHD 99 TJ Sport elec Q - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

RHD 99 TJ Sport elec Q

Please keep in mind I'm living in Japan now so just running to AutoZone is no longer an option.

Problem: front parking lights don't work

Info: headlights high and low beam, front and rear blinkers, hazards, tail lights, brake lights and reverse lights all work. No blown fuses. Even replaced #s 1, 2 & 13 just in case. Old style pull headlight switch replaced with new one. Multi function switch replaced (hazards didn't work when I bough it), bulbs are all fine: was able to duplicate issue with new bulbs.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 01:52 AM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Check the black/yellow wire going forward from C-107, the yellow connector located in the big stack of connectors in the driver’s side kick panel. It should be on 1 corner of that connector. One side will have 2 wires going into 1 pin; the other will have just 1 wire in the corresponding pin. The one to check is the 1 wire pin. That is the wire for the front park/marker lights. The other side has the supply wire from the switch & the one going to the taillights. There must be power to that side if the taillights work. See if you have power on the other side. If not make sure the terminal pin is not pushed out of its lock & losing connection. If good there go under the hood & check the same color wire at the C-110 black connector located along the fender going toward the headlights, on the right side for RHD models. Check on both sides of that connector there too. If good so far go to the headlight area on that side where the wires are spliced & separate to cross over to the other side. The actual splice may be bad & you will have to open the harness to check it. That is the last place where both parking lights would be affected.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 04:42 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

On exports H4 headlamps are used with side (city) lights fitted in the headlamp. Exports use the front/side amber lamps as indicators only and don't have them lit on the marker light circuit. The differences in wiring are shown in the wiring diagrams. If you have the export wiring and want to convert to US style marker/indicator lights you will have some minor rewiring to do.

Online FSMs are linked in my sig if you need them.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
On exports H4 headlamps are used with side (city) lights fitted in the headlamp. Exports use the front/side amber lamps as indicators only and don't have them lit on the marker light circuit. The differences in wiring are shown in the wiring diagrams. If you have the export wiring and want to convert to US style marker/indicator lights you will have some minor rewiring to do. Online FSMs are linked in my sig if you need them.
It does have "running" lights built into the headlamp but all markers would illuminate when the headlights were on as well. I'm not arguing with what you're saying, only telling you how it used to work. That said, the PO did do some crazy add ons. He spliced fogs into the stock harness... I removed everything and the remaining red crimps are the only spot that remain. The parking lights would illuminate when his ghetto fogs were installed (before they crapped out and I removed it all). If you look at the pics, what are the 2 connectors (one on each side) that aren't plugged into anything? What do the connect to on the US spec setup?

Name:  image-3957227981.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  475.8 KB

Name:  image-1971942956.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  436.1 KB

Name:  image-478910343.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  399.0 KB
post #5 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 04:19 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Those connectors are for the headlamp levelling motors fitted to RHD (and LHD European) exports. I'd assumed you had an export with being in Japan. The same loom will be used on US spec RHDs to keep costs down with the levelling system just not fitted. The large holes you have in the grill to the outsides of the headlamps is where the levelling motors stick through.

Since the tail lights work the problem may well be a bad splice on the black/yellow wire, you'll have to check along the wire as Rubi4MyMrs directed. Just to correct what Rubi4MyMrs said about the location of connector C110, you'll find that down the left fender on RHD models too. Might be a little difficult to get too though as it should be somewhere down between the battery and PDC against the side of the fender.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks again for all the help here.

I traced the connectors as Rubi4MyMrs said (and did suspect that the connector was under the battery, thanks for clarifying). I'll remove the dead splices and reconnect later today. So far no loose connections.

I'm more interested in the fact that you said they don't run intentionally. I've asked a couple of locals to check their TJs as well. I'm actually hoping that they're not supposed to run. I honestly don't care either way but we have an insane Japanese inspection every 2 years to keep the Jeep on the road. Something like the markers not coming on would definitely keep me off the road if they were supposed to work.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

And the more I'm reading on other sites, you're absolutely right. Apparently they're not supposed to light up. Possibly a tradeoff for having the city lights incorporated into the headlamp? Great info. I'm assuming the only way they used to light up was somehow the PO completed a circuit to get them to run. All fine and dandy but his wiring was garbage and the fogs he installed were junk.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of countries follow EU rules regarding motors and white front marker lights are normal. In the UK marker lights can be yellow also, and since additional lighting isn't taken into consideration for the UK annual inspection I wired up my front and side markers to come on with the sidelights.

I have no idea if the same is allowed in japan but I think it does give the vehicle a bit more visibility, especially from the side.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-20-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
A lot of countries follow EU rules regarding motors and white front marker lights are normal. In the UK marker lights can be yellow also, and since additional lighting isn't taken into consideration for the UK annual inspection I wired up my front and side markers to come on with the sidelights.

I have no idea if the same is allowed in japan but I think it does give the vehicle a bit more visibility, especially from the side.
How difficult was it to get the markers to run? Im definitely not the brightest when it comes to reading elec schematics. Simple splice or 2 to complete a circuit or are we talking additional fuses/relays etc...?
post #10 of 10 Old 11-22-2014, 05:49 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't remember it being particularly difficult for me I think it may have involved a splice and maybe moving one of the pins in a connector. I'd have to look over the wiring to remind myself. If you were to run the side marker as in the US you'd get the wig-wag effect when indicators are used when lights are on.I don't know if Japan requires the side repeaters to flash on and off at the same time as the main indicators so I'd look into that first before making that alteration anyway.

No extra fuses or relays were used just changes to the wiring. If you are able to change bulbs for LEDs you could do the three wire to two wire LED mod and run an LED in the side that would be dim with lights on and flash brighter at the same time as the main indicators.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in