Retrofitting a 03-06 TJ Hardtop Wiring Kit to 97 TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 42 Old 11-13-2019, 12:22 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You need to tap into fuse 6 as shown in the instructions then through an inline 20a fuse & connect that to your brown/pink wire rather than plugging it into the connector shown in frame 32.

The fuse 15 is different. You don’t need fuse 15 (or fuse 17, the one they used in 98-99). Fuse 15 was used in 04 for factory HTs to fuse that wire. You need to tap into the black/white wire that goes between the defrost relay & the heating element in the back glass & run that tapped wire through an in line 10a fuse then tap into the defrost switch indicator light which is the dark blue/red wire at pin 3. That will light the indicator whenever the element has power (is on).

I think that is most of it as long as you have the defrost cluster timer figured out.

Here are 2 pages from the ’98 FSM which are for the rear wipers & defrost, The should help, especially with the connection to the defrost switch. Basically you run a wire as shown from & to fuse 17, replacing the fuse with an inline one. You can also see where your new fuse 6 wiper wire needs to connect in at where C-323 is in the diagram.

Attached Thumbnails
98 R Wipers.jpg   98 R Defrost.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 Old 11-17-2019, 09:58 PM
Scoutmapper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am mostly done with this, got the wiper working and washer pump. Still need to wrap up the defogger but its all looking good. Either I don't have power to the switch or the bulb is out but I didn't test it much, just enjoyed squirting washer and wiping in the garage
Once I am done I will finish the write-up and post. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #18 of 42 Old 11-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good so far, I’m assuming you are not getting the indicator light in the defrost switch to come on when you hit the switch. If so…

First thing would be to set the switch on then see if you have 12v power to the element in the back glass. If I recall the 12v side is on the drive’s side & grounded on the passenger side. Check the other side if nothing on the driver’s side. If you do have 12v to the glass you can go to the switch to see if you have 12v at terminal 3 (indicator light terminal).

If nothing at either back glass terminal you should go to the relay & see if you are getting a ground signal from the cluster timer. Or you can check that at the cluster.

That should tell you where the problem is.

post #19 of 42 Old 11-20-2019, 06:03 PM
Scoutmapper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think I need to do some training on using a multi-meter because you are right, the indicator for defogger is not working. I cant seem to pull a reading at the back glass or at Terminal 3 of the defogger switch.
Switch illuminates works but the indicator doesn't come on. Take a look at this diagram I put together. This is what I am looking at with my wires. The only difference are:
  • The harness I am using bypasses C202
  • The two switches OR wires are spliced together and soldered to an OR wire nextdoor (Overdrive I believe) this powered the switches to have illumination.
  • The grounds are assumed to be spliced together in the harness.
I don't think i am getting power to the defogger or switch. I used the fuse block instead of inline fuses because I had the right connectors, but I don't think Fuse 15 has B+ at either pin there. Could this be my problem?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hardtop Wiring Diagram 2004 Jeep Wrangler.pdf (867.5 KB, 4 views)
post #20 of 42 Old 11-20-2019, 08:27 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The pdf you posted appears to use wiring from a donor harness coming from a HT equipped ’04. Since you don’t have that & the kit you are using doesn’t either I think that over complicates how you are approaching this. However, the diagram looks correct & wiring fuse 15 in is OK but adds some difficulty. Using the kit you have with the few mods I have outlined seems easier. (?) Still either way works...

I will try to address this best I can. If you are not getting power to pin 3 of the switch or the glass either the relay is not closing or you are not connected to the c3 terminal of the relay. That can be checked by making a jumper wire, removing the relay checking that terminal c1 has 12v from fuse 2 & jumping from c1 to c3. That should send power to the glass. You are correct you have no power at fuse 15. That power comes from the relay when closed to then power the pin 3 indicator through the fuse. So you need to address that first. The way I recommended is in my post 16.

The way you did the orange wire to pin 4 is good.

Those are the only 2 switch pins (1&3) that need 12v, one when the lights are on & the other when the defrost is on.

What you need to understand is that the switch activates the timer by sending a ground signal to it.

So to activate the relay (& power the glass) you need to have 12v at terminal c4 (which you should already have from fuse 7) and most importantly have ground at terminal c2 which comes from the cluster timer which is set from the switch (pin 2) when you hit it & it sends a momentary ground signal (pin 1) to the timer. The timer must then hold the relay grounded (closed) until it times out. Around 10 minutes if I recall or until you release it by hitting the switch a second time. You can check that pin 1 is grounded.

Most of the time this is where problems come up. Assuming you have switch-to-cluster & cluster-to-relay wired correctly if you are not getting the relay grounded the timer may be bad.

So to summarize, make sure you have power to the glass by jumping the relay.

If good:

See if you have ground signal to the cluster when you hold the switch down.

If good:

See if the timer is grounding the relay.
post #21 of 42 Old 11-21-2019, 10:25 PM
Scoutmapper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK this is great info. I think you have me on the right track here. Before I dive into your info I need to check something:
This harness has a few BK/WT wires. There is one BK/WT wire at Pin 2 of the Wiper Switch and one at Pin 3 of the Defogger Switch plus one or two others. I may have spliced into the wrong BK/WT wire for the fuse.
I will check these out in a few days due to Thanksgiving I will be out of the garage for a bit. I will let you know. Thanks!
post #22 of 42 Old 11-22-2019, 12:57 PM
Scoutmapper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So I had a few minutes to test. I'm not getting power at fuse 2 in the PDC when the key is turned on. I tested the pins and no continuity either. Is this my problem?
post #23 of 42 Old 11-22-2019, 01:18 PM
Scoutmapper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have continuity between the hardtop wire (pin1) and the relay (pin 3) with fuse in between.
post #24 of 42 Old 11-22-2019, 01:21 PM
Scoutmapper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have tested the relay for the click with 12v and continuity so it's good. Fuse 2 in PDC is good. Seems no power to the fuse to feed the relay?
I also have continuity between Fuse 7 and relay pin 4.
I made the jumper for the relay terminals between C1 and C3...nothing.
post #25 of 42 Old 11-22-2019, 02:45 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Fuse 2 should definitely have B+ power (not just when the key is on). I think there is a bus bar that powers a bunch of those fuses. If so I don’t see how #2 would be dead but if you do not have 12v to one of the fuse 2 terminals you will have to lift the PDC & inspect.

In the mean time you can jump from battery (+) to terminal c3 for testing purposes to see if that part of the circuit is good. From what you have done in post 23 I think it will be good.

You can also see if the relay clicks closed when you hit the switch (key on) which will verify if the switch/timer is working.

If good, all you need is power at fuse 2.
post #26 of 42 Old 11-22-2019, 03:00 PM
Scoutmapper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just tried jumping B+ to c3 and nothing. I'll be honest, I'm wanting to avoid opening the PDC at this point. I'd consider workarounds first as that is unknown territory.
post #27 of 42 Old 11-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK then if you have continuity HT connector pin 1 to relay pin 3 you must have 12v at pin 1 if you jump 12v to pin 3.

Right?

If yes, but no 12v to the glass, the problem is between the HT connector & the glass.

Also with the jumper in you should have the switch indicator coming on (or at least getting 12v there). Do you?
post #28 of 42 Old 11-22-2019, 03:35 PM
Scoutmapper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have continuity as stated but not 12v.
Tried the jumper and nothing lit either.
post #29 of 42 Old 11-22-2019, 03:59 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Something is not adding up.

If you have continuity from one end of a wire to the other end then connect one end to a 12v source how can you not get 12v at the other end???

And

I don’t understand what Tried the jumper and nothing lit either.” means. Jumper from here to where? What is lit?
post #30 of 42 Old 11-22-2019, 05:46 PM
Scoutmapper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry... I put a jumper wire on slot 1 and 3 of the relay connection... Pulled the relay and jumped the two slots and no power to anything. I also tried a wire from battery + to the relay slot but did not get any power anywhere either. Either I'm doing something wrong or the PDC doesn't have wiring for fuse 2 to the relay.

Tags
hard top wiring , hardtop wiring , hardtop wiring harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in