Replacing door hinge bushings. They don't fit - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-23-2020, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
dinosaur12
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Replacing door hinge bushings. They don't fit

I have a 05 LJ Rubicon and the doors have always been very difficult to take off. I end up using a hydraulic jack to assist in taking them off. I thought I would replace the door bushings and see if this helped the issue.

I ordered this kit from Amazon.com. I was not able to hammer them out with the removal tool so I ended up using a 3/8" drill and they came right out. Now I am not able to install the new bushings. I sanded the inside of the hinges but was no help. I am also unable to push the removal tool through the hinges, its like the hinges are too small. I test fitted the bushing on the door and they slide right onto the door pins, no problems.

Anyone else have this problem? Are the 04-06 hinges a different size? The kit lists 1976-2006, was there a range of jeeps that had smaller bushings?

Attaching pics to help illustrate.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1887.jpg   IMG_1886.jpg   IMG_1884.jpg   IMG_1883.jpg   IMG_1882.jpg  

IMG_1881.jpg   IMG_1880.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-23-2020, 07:21 PM
vlackattack
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just did this on my 06. The factory bushings have two "layers", a metal one and some kind of plastic material, did you get the metal part out? It looks like it's still in the hinge. I found the best way to get it out was to use a straight pick to get between the bushing and the hinge and pry it toward the middle of the hole then knock it out with the provided tool.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-23-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
dinosaur12
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You are right, I only got the plastic part out. Thanks for letting me know. I didn't realize it was a 2 layer bushing.
Thanks!

post #4 of 5 Old 05-24-2020, 08:11 AM
GermanyChris
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Iíve never found a hinge bushing that fit, that led to me replacing the whole hinge

I'm generally a very pragmatic person: that which works, works. -- Linus Torvalds
post #5 of 5 Old 05-24-2020, 12:10 PM
yv4me

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Iíve never found a hinge bushing that fit, that led to me replacing the whole hinge
I used these on my 99 and they worked perfectly. My kit had the long bushings that are marked for shortening them.
Weird, but one door had the long bushings, the other the short ones? These were the original hinges that didn't appear to have been changed before.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrate...des-jeep-yj-tj

Expediency is no excuse for substandard work!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in