3Likes
  • 2 Post By 40vern
  • 1 Post By Tylervalo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-17-2020, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Tylervalo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing ball joints - knurled or smooth

The previous owner of my Jeep mentioned it needed ball joints soon, and actually had Mopar ball joints ready to go. Tonight I started replacing them and when I removed the old joints I found out they were knurled so someone must have already replaced them previously.

Can I replace them with my smooth Mopar ball joints or should I purchased some knurled one, and which ones are recommended right now?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 12:33 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Spicer.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/omix-...j-1803603.html

Mopar.
https://www.morris4x4center.com/knuc...00202ab-m.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #3 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 06:24 AM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i am sorry, please delete if you want, but i am wondering what is the difference and can you use either one. also how do you tell the difference? i have replaced them several times and never noticed the difference. it is possible that i have had one and replaced them with a different one.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 07:04 AM
ibikee

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
@Tylervalo Found out too late when I replaced mine they had knurled joints. I already had the new smooth ones and wanted to get her back on the road. Went ahead and pressed them in and they were tight going back in. Mine have been fine. I donít think youíll know till you press them in.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 07:07 AM
ibikee

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
@40vern The part of the shaft thatís hidden in the knuckle will either be a smooth surface of will look like a splined shaft.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 09:42 AM
skjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sometimes i had an issue with the knurled joints that it stretched the hole a bit and the smooth ones were too small and had play in the axle C-s
But you will not know until you drop it in.

current 2x XJ, 2x JK-U, SJ, M38A1, WJ
gone XJ, TJ, XK, ZJ
post #7 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Tylervalo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibikee View Post
@Tylervalo Found out too late when I replaced mine they had knurled joints. I already had the new smooth ones and wanted to get her back on the road. Went ahead and pressed them in and they were tight going back in. Mine have been fine. I donít think youíll know till you press them in.
They pressed in firmly, they definitely didn't just slip back in.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 10:54 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The new Mopar ball joints pressed in firmly? Did you have to use a ball joint tool to get them fully seated? They need to be so tight that a ball joint tool is needed to seat replacements. I ask because knurled aftermarket ball joints usually booger up the seating surface enough that it never seems to hang onto OE style ball joints well enough if you try to go back to them after having had knurled ball joints installed.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 11:10 AM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thanks everyone. i find this interesting. i must have been doing it right all along cause i have had to use a tool to press them in. very difficult
post #10 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Tylervalo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Jerry I was hoping you would chime in. They definitely required the press to get in, it was hard enough to get them seated enough to slip the press and get them in.
I'm going to run them for now, my hub bearings are probably due soon, so if I have any trouble I'll replaced the ball joints then. I won't know for a few days, I bent another set of ears on my outer axle shafts and had to order replacements. It's like those outer shafts are disposable items, I've never not bent one using hammer, u joint press or shop press.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The new Mopar ball joints pressed in firmly? Did you have to use a ball joint tool to get them fully seated? They need to be so tight that a ball joint tool is needed to seat replacements. I ask because knurled aftermarket ball joints usually booger up the seating surface enough that it never seems to hang onto OE style ball joints well enough if you try to go back to them after having had knurled ball joints installed.
Jerry Bransford likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 08:46 PM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjeep View Post
Sometimes i had an issue with the knurled joints that it stretched the hole a bit and the smooth ones were too small and had play in the axle C-s
But you will not know until you drop it in.
You can take a center punch and make a series of divots on the inside surface to hold the new ball joint firmly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in