Replacing an automatic tranny with a manual??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-29-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
YellowJeepGuy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing an automatic tranny with a manual???

So my 42RLE Transmission is on its last legs of life. I always wanted a stick shift that's the one thing I don't like about my Jeep. Would it be cheaper to bolt a Manuel transmission then a new 42RLE? Thanks in advance. Sorry if it is a dumb question I'm really curious.

Last edited by YellowJeepGuy; 09-29-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

i think you made a typo. can you explain what you want to do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-29-2013, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
YellowJeepGuy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My bad, I fixed it

post #4 of 13 Old 09-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

it can be done, thats for sure, but it is a bit of work. you would have to change out the PCM as well

if you really want a manual, then go for it. personally, i would swap in an AW4, but I prefer auto while off-roading

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJeepGuy View Post
I always wanted a stick shift that's the one thing I don't like about my Jeep.
Hmmm.....in my work group, making that kind of statement would result in my manager issuing a "drug testing for cause" request.

The cost of the transmissions would be the lesser thing to worry about, if I were considering it. There are other issues to consider.....clutch pedal, clutch, clutch master cylinder and slave, and manual shifter. I'm pretty sure you'll need to also consider the engine computer and perhaps the input shaft of the t-case. (on my TJ, they are different lengths)

It is not a minor undertaking.....but it can be done. I did just the opposite and went from a manual tranny to an AW-4 automatic.

Stu Olson
ARB Locked & Loaded

post #6 of 13 Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I swapped out a 32RH for a NSG370 or whatever the 6 speed is. It was a simple swap, except for the long list of parts i had to locate.

Manual PCM
Clutch pedal assembly
I used all LUK parts for the swap
Flywheel,clutch kit
Trans cover OEM
OEM slave/master cylinder come preassembled and bled
CPS from a 05 for me
Longer front DS
shorter rear DS
Trans mount

Total cost was around 900.00 I think I got off cheap.

K.C.C.O.
Carpe Diem

post #7 of 13 Old 09-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Rollbar12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I thought about this for my TJ, but decided it would be simpler to buy a different Jeep with a manual
post #8 of 13 Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
YellowJeepGuy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah well my Jeep is more of a sentimental thing to me. My grandpa bought be the Jeep stock for me when I was 16 and we drove it from where he lives, Oregon, to where I live in Texas. It's one of the greatest memories that I have with him sooo no selling the Jeep. As far as cost goes. Would it be cheaper just to get the Trany rebuilt or converting it to standard?
post #9 of 13 Old 09-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Before you can make a determination on which would cost less to do, you need to take the Jeep to a small Better Business Bureau rated INDEPENDENT NON-CHAIN transmission repair shop & get an estimate. Do NOT take it to a chain transmission shop like Aamco who is more likely than not to rip you off by estimating a low cost up front & then calling you later to say it's going to cost more... a lot more... than their original estimate. By then they have you by the short hairs. There are honest transmission shops out there but one that is a member of your local BBB is likely to be more honest than others.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Rollbar12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I get the sentimental value, do what Jerry suggests. I dont like large chain outfits for the same reason he posted.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-04-2013, 08:42 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A trans rebuild will be a LOT less trouble than a conversion.

When you go for a quote, just ask for full rebuild... trying to save a few bucks by selective work is not worth it. If it's going to come out, do everything at once.

Mine was still working ok (though a bit lazy in very cold weather) when the shifter seal started to leak. I had the full rebuild done, and never regretted it.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #12 of 13 Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 PM
digdug18

I just searched car-part.com in you area, nobody has a low mileage one, which would have been one option. Like stated above, check out the transmission shop. Checking online it seems prices for a fully rebuilt unit will run you $1300. Depending on the availability of jeeps in your area, you might be able to find a rear ended donor jeep for all the parts that you need to pull. Will you be doing the swap yourself? As swaps are very labor intensive, though I'm sure if you post up that you need help in your local forum, offer free beer and food you'll find people gladly willing to help you out.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-06-2013, 02:51 PM
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

In Texas is kinda vague, SA, DFW, Houston? If Houston, call thunderbolt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in