Replacement fan blower switch - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-21-2021, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Extremejmfl

Replacement fan blower switch

I recently replaced the blower fan switch and after two tries on switches from Amazon that both said they were compatible with the TJ, I got the same dang switch that doesn’t work properly. Does anyone have a source for a replacement blower switch that actually controls the blower like the original factory switch? This is for a manual fan speed switch.

Attached Thumbnails
24756CD9-2C61-460A-A104-CA50E5C7F227.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-21-2021, 04:44 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What model year TJ? I checked your Profile for that information but there's nothing there yet.

Edit: Nevermind I found an early post of yours that said you have a '97. Early '97 TJs like my 3/96 build TJ used a lot of 1995 Wrangler YJ parts, especially electrical parts. IF your '97 has an early manufacturing date (it's on the doorjamb), it may be using a '95 model fan switch.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-22-2021, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Extremejmfl

Jerry, my TJ was manufactured 1-97. I looked up the switch for A 95 YJ and they're still showing that crappy switch that I bought twice... My original switch has 2 holes for screws whereby this one only has 1 and the the shaft is much smaller than the original equipment

post #4 of 21 Old 10-25-2021, 01:20 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Contact JeepAir.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-25-2021, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Extremejmfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Contact JeepAir.com.
Yeah, they don't have that switch for 97...
😡
post #6 of 21 Old 10-26-2021, 05:52 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremejmfl View Post
Yeah, they don't have that switch for 97...
😡
Jeepair has everything. Only 2 switches were made, unless yours was changed. Ebay and everyone sells them both. Post a pic of what you have/need.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-26-2021, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Extremejmfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepair has everything. Only 2 switches were made, unless yours was changed. Ebay and everyone sells them both. Post a pic of what you have/need.
Well I contacted them and they said the do not have it, so I have to take it they know their products.

I uploaded pictures of the difference between my switch (gold) and the replacement (silver). It is NOT the correct switch although I have ordered 3 from 3 different companies. Screw holes are wrong, shaft diameter is wrong and most importantly, although it plugs in and can turn four clicks, it only has TWO speeds. You turn the dial counter clockwise to turn the air UP (opposite my old switch) and max AC is about 3/4 the fan speed of my previous switch.

When I look this switch up it appears identical to those found in the 99 AC panel.
Attached Thumbnails
20211022_165640.jpg   20211022_165614.jpg  
post #8 of 21 Old 10-27-2021, 08:02 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremejmfl View Post
Well I contacted them and they said the do not have it, so I have to take it they know their products.

I uploaded pictures of the difference between my switch (gold) and the replacement (silver). It is NOT the correct switch although I have ordered 3 from 3 different companies. Screw holes are wrong, shaft diameter is wrong and most importantly, although it plugs in and can turn four clicks, it only has TWO speeds. You turn the dial counter clockwise to turn the air UP (opposite my old switch) and max AC is about 3/4 the fan speed of my previous switch.

When I look this switch up it appears identical to those found in the 99 AC panel.
Try Ebay.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-27-2021, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Extremejmfl

I have looked everywhere. I even tried deadjeeps.com but they want to sell the entire ac panel for $300
post #10 of 21 Old 10-27-2021, 12:53 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Although the switches have 5 slots I think your wiring connector only has 4 terminals. Is that right?

Other than the speeds are backwards &/or missing, does the switch fit in the panel?

If yes & yes I think I can help.

post #11 of 21 Old 10-28-2021, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Extremejmfl

Sorry, no it's 5 prong. It fits perfectly into the plug but my guess is that somehow it's not wired right
Attached Thumbnails
20211022_165542_1635434929868.jpg  
post #12 of 21 Old 10-28-2021, 01:33 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

That is strange because the ‘97s should have 4 wires into the 5 slot connector with the 5th being open that has the same arrangement as the later yrs so the connector will plug into the later switches (but wires in different positions). That was unique to ‘97s.

If it does have 5 wires can you post a photo or 2 of the connector showing the wires so that I can see the colors & the arrangement going into the connector?
post #13 of 21 Old 11-17-2021, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Extremejmfl

97 TJ Wrangler Blower Switch Wiring pictures

See the attached pics. I tried to give the best angle in relation to the orientation of the switch. The bright green wire is oriented to the single top connector on the switch.

Here's the plug orientation from top to bottom.

______________bright green
brown with br/stripe_______light blue
light brown______________turquoise

Thanks in advance for looking at this. Sorry for not responding sooner but we've had serious family issues.
Attached Thumbnails
20211117_114713.jpg   20211117_114734.jpg   20211117_114737.jpg   20211117_114654.jpg  
Attached Images

post #14 of 21 Old 11-17-2021, 01:26 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

That is very well illustrated & helpful. The FSM for 1997 shows there is only 4 wires & the 1998 shows 5. The FSMs are certainly not always correct & the vehicle changes do not necessarily follow the model year change over so there are inconsistencies to deal with.

Your diagram & photos follow the ’98 FSM so now we have that info. Besides the number of wire difference the position of the wires (according to their colors) is different too.

I can see in your photos that the connector has letters to identify the terminal positions (D & E showing). I’m sure the others are there too. So you have A-E. I’m posting both the ’97 & ’97 connector pin outs from the FSMs & notice that they show the terminals cavities by letter & also the wire colors. The description of the wires is a bit different but we should be able to figure that out.

So far positions B,C & D are the same both in which speed they control & their wire colors so that should be OK. A & E appear to be the problem. According to the FSM they used the tan wire for both low speed & the blower control in ’97 but it is not labeled that way in the pin out diagram. Then in ’98 they split that & used the tan only for low speed & added the blower feed (control) as its own wire. But they basically switched the low speed position instead of just leaving it as it was & adding the control to the open (A) cavity.

I think what you need to do is to remove the A & E wires & swap positions to get everything to work with the switch you have.

The way to verify this before swapping them is to make a jumper wire (a paper clip should work) & put one end in the E, dark green slot & with the key on jump across to the A, tan. You should get low speed. If so, then try jumping from E to each of the others, B for high, C for med high & D for med low.
If this all works you can then verify that the switch you have will also work correctly. You can do continuity checks for each switch position using the same procedure but use the meter leads on the switch terminals as you rotated it, keeping one lead on the E tab & checking A thru D for speeds low to high.

If this all works you can swap the 2 wires (A & E) & everything should work. It is a bit tricky getting the terminals out of the connector cavities since there is a locking tab holding them in. They make terminal removal tools but usually you can release them with a small pick or similar “tool”. Probably U-tube will have some solutions if needed.

The problem may be that Chrysler never supplied the speed switch used in so called 1997s as a separate part & all aftermarket apparently just listed the 1998+ as also fitting 1997s.

Post if this works.

Attached Thumbnails
97-98 Speed SW.jpg  
post #15 of 21 Old 11-18-2021, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Extremejmfl

Thank you so much for the detailed email. I will use that to work with it today.

My 97 was produced in January of 97 so it's possible that being an (somewhat) early production model, they hadn't moved to the new pin out/switch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in