Repairing soft top frame worn/torn webbing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Repairing soft top frame worn/torn webbing

Thanks to Tecumsa for the link to Strapworks

I was able to get replacement webbing at $.50 a foot and I picked up some Stainless steel pop rivets at the local hardware store for $.20 each. I thought about using other methods of fastening to make the repair, but all in all, the rivets were cheap and simple. Easy to remove and install and I really don't plan on repeating this repair every few years. The new webbing appears to be a bit thicker and more durable. I also used Stainless flat washers under the rivets. I had those in my hardware drawer. I will insert a few pictures and I believe that if you click on a photo it will allow you to view the folder at Photobucket. I took many photos to try to document the process. I use a butane torch to seal the edges of the webbing after cutting was completed to keep it from coming unravelled over time. To make the holes in the material for the rivets and screws, I used a soldering iron. It melted right through the webbing and sealed the material from fraying as well. I managed to salvage one of the two straps that was still fairly intact and I used this as a template for the two straps I fabricated. It all worked well and total cost (less the small washers I already had) was $5.00, which is unbelievable. The shipping on the webbing was a few bucks and I ordered enough to do another jeep as well as some cool straps from Strapworks.com. I had fun doing the work and it just takes some patience. I hope the pictures do it justice.

REMOVING THE RIVET DEBRI FROM INSIDE THE TUBE:

OLD STRAPS

MEASURING UP FOR NEW STRAPS

USING SOLDERING IRON TO MAKE HOLES IN STRAPS

ATTACHING WITH RIVET GUN

DONE

THE OH SO HANDY CRAFTSMAN POP RIVET TOOL

POPS OLD WELLER SOLDERING IRON

Again there are many more detailed photos at photobucket. If you are interested in them. Try clicking this thumbnail to view:

Enjoy

Rich G. 2005 Wrangler 4.0 6-Speed.
just4effect 10" single sub, enclosure and amp 4 sale. PM me if interested, local only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nicely done.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-30-2012, 11:55 AM
robinmcj

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am Resurrecting an old thread.
I have lost sleep over replacing my soft top frame or my 1 year old soft top with the new frameless tops. JUST because the nylon straps are breaking on the frame. I KNEW there had to be a way to repair it. Without this write up, I would still be without sleep AND spending a crazy amount of money on things that are not necessary!
You're awesome!
You sir, have saved me $350 at least!
THANKS!!!

"MY MID-LIFE CHRYSLER"

post #4 of 24 Old 03-30-2012, 10:01 PM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mine were trashed. I ended up putting some small ratchet straps up there in place of the web. So far so good.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-31-2012, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I made sure to order some spare webbing as it was so cheap. It was really too easy as long as I already had the tools.

Rich G. 2005 Wrangler 4.0 6-Speed.
just4effect 10" single sub, enclosure and amp 4 sale. PM me if interested, local only
post #6 of 24 Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice...one of mine is broken, so I can fix it as soon as the top comes off for the summer.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 AM
jeepeno
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your ideas! Never used a rivet gun before. I'm $4.30 poorer (rivet gun and rivets), but now my passenger side webbing is attached securely to the back bow. I'm sure the drivers side will need the same help in a few months. My only concern, and a small concern at that, was the half rivets that were cut off will be forever stuck in the bow rattling around. I'm sure I'll never hear them... but that was my biggest concern. Not too bad. Easy fix. Thanks!
post #8 of 24 Old 05-22-2012, 10:35 AM
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey I need to ask...one of mine broke a while back...I couldn't tell that it was serving any purpose, other than making it only fractionally slightly easier to raise the top...what am I missing out on why should I make this repair...not that I won't, as cheap and easy as I know it is thanks to this great write-up ...but am I doing harm by not having the strap on there? My top still looks nice and tight and straight and everything. Thanks!
post #9 of 24 Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM
SpeedJeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Perfect! I'll be doing this soon.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-19-2014, 08:44 AM
Time_Out
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the same question as SlackJaw. I just got a New Jeep and the PO cut one of the straps off completely and sliced about 3/4 of the way thru the other one. How necessary are they ?
post #11 of 24 Old 06-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Necessary. Without them, the rear of the top will sag
post #12 of 24 Old 06-19-2014, 02:58 PM
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This what it will look like without the straps http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/wh...op-744338.html
post #13 of 24 Old 06-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Avast Web Shield reports malware on that wranglerforum link above. It may be a false positive, it may not. It's not the first malware report I've had recently from that site. I've reported it to them anyway so they can check it out. The page doesn't load at all for me now.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-20-2014, 06:40 AM
Time_Out
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
This what it will look like without the straps http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/wh...op-744338.html
Awww - that's so sad. It looks depressed . Good to know, I will be replacing those when I replace my windshield header channel. Still trying to figure out why the PO cut them...
post #15 of 24 Old 07-03-2014, 01:56 PM
billtheforth

Hey guys can you help me out on the size and type of webbing that you ordered, I just ordered a new sailcloth R-A-T, and want to replace the webbing as one side is all the way ripped and the other side is well onits way, thaks for your help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in