Removing Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShawnAtTomWoods
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-10-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
TexasTJ
No Longer DD
 
TexasTJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,155
Garage
Removing Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE)

Long story short, the Jeep will be for sale soon and I've been trying to return it to stock-ish. I was planning on removing the 3" suspension lift and D44 in exchange for stock springs and D35. I'm assuming the SYE and rear cv driveshaft wont fit at stock height, so I was wondering if there was a parts list/kit to convert the NP231 back to a slip yoke.

If it can't be done easily I'll either leave the lift, or see if anyone with a stock NP231 wants to trade for an NP231 with SYE.

Setup when I installed it with Rugged Ridge SYE and Adam's rear CV drive shaft



Sold 11/18/19 :(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May TJ of the Month 2015
TexasTJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 01:02 AM
Shark_13
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Post falls
Posts: 1,930
Garage
There seems to be a decent amount of slip shaft showing, might be ok lowering it and leaving it.

Get out and explore.
Shark_13 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 01:59 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler
 
80cj's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 7,733
Theres hardly any angle at the joints. Was there really a need for the CV?
80cj is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 04:16 AM
hulkboy
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: home
Posts: 192
Are you the guy in benbrook parting out your rig. There’s a guy on FB Texas Jeep parts. That’s got a similar setup.

If your interested, I’d swap out my tcase, shaft, and rear axle with you, if you still plan on going to stock. Of coarse gotta convince the old lady it’s necessary for my build. I’ve got a 231 and d35 and i’m in Carrollton.
hulkboy is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 10:30 AM
fxrsliberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 162
I have just taken out my np231 and shaft for a rebuilt set with SYE. I'm in GA I will trade.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
fxrsliberty is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
TexasTJ
No Longer DD
 
TexasTJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,155
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_13 View Post
There seems to be a decent amount of slip shaft showing, might be ok lowering it and leaving it.
You think? I don't recall ever seeing anyone run stock suspension with a SYE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Theres hardly any angle at the joints. Was there really a need for the CV?
It wasn't a necessity. I ran the Jeep lifted for a while with stock driveshaft. When I swapped from a D35 to D44, I added the SYE, driveshaft, and adjustable control arms just because.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkboy View Post
Are you the guy in benbrook parting out your rig. Thereís a guy on FB Texas Jeep parts. Thatís got a similar setup.

If your interested, Iíd swap out my tcase, shaft, and rear axle with you, if you still plan on going to stock. Of coarse gotta convince the old lady itís necessary for my build. Iíve got a 231 and d35 and iím in Carrollton.

That'd be me. I posted on the DFW TJ/LJ page and got 6-8 PMs within the first 10 minutes of posting it. I have maybe 3 that are legitimately interested. I'm not on JF as much these days, send me a message on FB if you think you'd like to do the swap. I've got my HP30/D44 sold and will be trading for a D30/D35 as part of the deal. So I'm just going to need a stock NP231 and rear driveshaft.

Sold 11/18/19 :(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May TJ of the Month 2015
TexasTJ is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 10:45 AM
ShawnAtTomWoods
Vendor
 
ShawnAtTomWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ogden
Posts: 173
That shaft is a bit too short for your vehicle the way it is now. Once you lower the jeep the shaft will still fit, better than it does now. If you can find someone to trade with (as someone offered above), that might be a good deal. Honestly though, I'd probably just leave it. The SYE and double cardan shaft are no longer really necessary. . But because they are already there it seems like a lot of work and expense to convert things back over to the stock setup.

Shawn Wood at Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts.
ShawnAtTomWoods is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
TexasTJ
No Longer DD
 
TexasTJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,155
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnAtTomWoods View Post
That shaft is a bit too short for your vehicle the way it is now. Once you lower the jeep the shaft will still fit, better than it does now. If you can find someone to trade with (as someone offered above), that might be a good deal. Honestly though, I'd probably just leave it. The SYE and double cardan shaft are no longer really necessary. . But because they are already there it seems like a lot of work and expense to convert things back over to the stock setup.
I appreciate the input, good to know that it should at least work back at stock height. I may see if someone wants to trade tcase/drive shafts and a little cash for the swap. I don't mind doing the work of pulling the tcase, but removing the SYE and reverting my tcase back to stock might be a waste of time. My dog is in need of surgery, which is the reason for the part out, so any cash I can make from the Jeep helps.

Sold 11/18/19 :(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May TJ of the Month 2015
TexasTJ is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 12:07 PM
ShawnAtTomWoods
Vendor
 
ShawnAtTomWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ogden
Posts: 173
Oh no, poor puppy! Hey if there is a place where you have everything listed for sale, post the link. We'll share it on our FB page.

Shawn Wood at Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts.
ShawnAtTomWoods is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
TexasTJ
No Longer DD
 
TexasTJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,155
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnAtTomWoods View Post
Oh no, poor puppy! Hey if there is a place where you have everything listed for sale, post the link. We'll share it on our FB page.
Thanks a bunch, but I don't really have link for the parts. I just posted a list on a private local page. I'm not really sure of the most efficient way to ship large items (PSC cage, 35s w/ Beadlocks, tummy tuck, Highline Fenders, rokmen tailgate, etc).


Here's a picture of Gus btw, 1.5 year old Lab/Rhodesian Ridgeback rescue. Vet said both of his rear ACLs are torn and require surgery.


Sold 11/18/19 :(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May TJ of the Month 2015
TexasTJ is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 05:46 PM
ShawnAtTomWoods
Vendor
 
ShawnAtTomWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ogden
Posts: 173
Well if you end up with a public post or if you have it on craigslist or some kind of local classifieds send us a link. You can message us links through this site or Jeep Forum or email me at [email protected]. We'd be happy to share and hopefully help you find some buyers.

By the way. I have a German Wirehaired Pointer rescue that tore her ACL or whatever they call it in dogs. The vet did a surgery where they built a little bone shelf for her femur to sit in and they put in a metal plate. That was about 5 years ago, she is now 15 years old and hasn't even so much as limped since having the surgery. It was a tough expense to cover but well worth it. Better than all the other stupid crap that I usually spend my money on. I feel for you and wish you good luck!
TexasTJ likes this.

Shawn Wood at Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts.
ShawnAtTomWoods is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 06:17 PM
hulkboy
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: home
Posts: 192
Sending pm

I’d be interested in TT and swapping you t case and rear shaft, since you already have someone for rear axle.

Would it swap into the d35 (plug and play) or will I need something else? Have Mml/bl for tummy tuck.

My Jeep will be on OME 2in springs. What’s yours currently sitting on. Looks big.
hulkboy is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
TexasTJ
No Longer DD
 
TexasTJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,155
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnAtTomWoods View Post
Well if you end up with a public post or if you have it on craigslist or some kind of local classifieds send us a link. You can message us links through this site or Jeep Forum or email me at [email protected]. We'd be happy to share and hopefully help you find some buyers.



By the way. I have a German Wirehaired Pointer rescue that tore her ACL or whatever they call it in dogs. The vet did a surgery where they built a little bone shelf for her femur to sit in and they put in a metal plate. That was about 5 years ago, she is now 15 years old and hasn't even so much as limped since having the surgery. It was a tough expense to cover but well worth it. Better than all the other stupid crap that I usually spend my money on. I feel for you and wish you good luck!

That's good to hear, hopefully his goes just as well. He's young, so may recover even easier. I really appreciate the help.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkboy View Post
Sending pm

Iíd be interested in TT and swapping you t case and rear shaft, since you already have someone for rear axle.

Would it swap into the d35 (plug and play) or will I need something else? Have Mml/bl for tummy tuck.

My Jeep will be on OME 2in springs. Whatís yours currently sitting on. Looks big.
Im at work now, but will send a PM when I can. I don't see why it wouldn't be plug and play, I'm also running a BL/MML and the UCF ultra high belly skid. 3" springs and 1.25" body lift, but as mentioned above, the shaft may be a bit short for me, so it should fit even better for you at 2".

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sold 11/18/19 :(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May TJ of the Month 2015
TexasTJ is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 09-13-2019, 07:59 AM
1Old_Crow
Registered User
 
1Old_Crow's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bishop
Posts: 42
We had a Lab/Ridgeback mix for years. Best dog we ever had. Ours looked just like a giant black Lab with the ridge up his back.
Hope the Vet can fix yours, ours got taken out by a truck.

Wally Crow
ASE Master Auto Tech(ret)
'03 TJ Sahara
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads."
1Old_Crow is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 09-13-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
TexasTJ
No Longer DD
 
TexasTJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,155
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Old_Crow View Post
We had a Lab/Ridgeback mix for years. Best dog we ever had. Ours looked just like a giant black Lab with the ridge up his back.
Hope the Vet can fix yours, ours got taken out by a truck.
He's the sweetest pup, much better at cuddling that our GSD. His ridge gets more pronounced when he gets excited. Sorry to hear about your pup.

Sold 11/18/19 :(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May TJ of the Month 2015
TexasTJ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome