• 2 Post By Jerry Bransford
  • 1 Post By Raist11

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-22-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Raist11

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Red Loctite on pinion nut?

Alright, not sure how I missed this.

Couple years ago I did the rear pinion seal and axle shaft seals. I watched a bunch of videos and read writeups. Dropped the driveshaft, marked the pinion nut and all that. Replaced the seal and slapped it back together. Now I need to do the front and I'm finding writeups that state to use red loctite .

Does everyone use red loçtite? Really wish I would have seen this before. I can still find videos that make no mention of loctite.

Current: '00 TJ Sport
Past: '98 TJ Sport - lots of aftermarket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-22-2017, 10:32 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use blue Loctite on the pinion nut.
Shark_13 and WmGardner like this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-22-2017, 10:39 PM
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I either go get a new pinion nut, or use red loctite on it. If it backs off, even a tiny bit you'll lose your pinion bearing preload, and eventually ruin those bearings and likely the carrier bearings.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-22-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Raist11

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I was really hoping you were going to say you dont use any. After I'm done with these balljoints I'll have to take a look. Maybe my marks on the rear are still there. I suppose its not a big deal to pull the nut and throw some blue loctite on it.
WmGardner likes this.

Current: '00 TJ Sport
Past: '98 TJ Sport - lots of aftermarket
post #5 of 10 Old 06-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raist11 View Post
Quote:
I was really hoping you were going to say you dont use any. After I'm done with these balljoints I'll have to take a look. Maybe my marks on the rear are still there. I suppose its not a big deal to pull the nut and throw some blue loctite on it.
Depending on how long ago it was, I probably wouldn't worry about it. If your rear diff uses a crush sleeve, taking it off again just increases the chance of screwing up the preload. If it uses shims to set the preload, then nothing wrong with taking it off again and throwing some loctite on it, or a new nut, just make sure you torque it to the minimum torque for it
post #6 of 10 Old 06-22-2017, 10:49 PM
ftgiles

It's a one-time use nut. You should always use a new nut. Many people use red lock tight in addition.

Are you working on an axle with a crush sleeve? If yes, there's more to it than just taking the nut off. And marking the nut is not the best way to do it.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-23-2017, 08:13 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw View Post
If your rear diff uses a crush sleeve, taking it off again just increases the chance of screwing up the preload.
Crush sleeves have some degree of elasticity so the there's less chance of them having their preload screwed up than with a fixed non-crush sleeve axle.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-23-2017, 08:39 AM
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw View Post
If your rear diff uses a crush sleeve, taking it off again just increases the chance of screwing up the preload.
Crush sleeves have some degree of elasticity so the there's less chance of them having their preload screwed up than with a fixed non-crush sleeve axle.
As far as I know there are two ways that axles set pinion preload, crush sleeves and shims. Non crush sleeve axles are much easier to remove the nut and achieve the correct pinion preload again, as you just have to torque the nut past a certain value and the preload won't increase anymore.

With crush sleeves, 1/16 of a turn with a 3 foot bar on the nut can be the difference between 2 inch pounds of preload and 50. There is a much higher chance of screwing up the preload taking the nut off with a crush sleeve axle, and I doubt you would be able to tighten that nut back exactly to where it was when you took it off. The correct way to do it is to install a new, uncrushed crush sleeve. There are shortcuts that may work sometimes, like marking the nut, but I would never do that
post #9 of 10 Old 06-23-2017, 09:56 AM
ftgiles

Quote:
You can screw up the preload very easily with either shims or crush sleeves... if you don't know what you're doing. Even non-first-timers over crush the sleeves and have to discard it for a new one.

And a crush sleeve axle is NEVER as stable as one set up with shims.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Same here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in