Recovery questions inside. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
zachy1029
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Recovery questions inside.

OK guys, I just have a few questions about my new LJ. I've been searching all day but can't seem to find too much info on the stock bumpers for the TJ/LJ. Are either of them strong enough to be recovered with? I'm planning on getting a winch plate for the front bumper for my Mile Marker PE8000. Am I correct in believing this ties in to the frame and not the bumper? Also, would it be viable to weld some tabs for D-rings on the rear bumper? If it's possible I'd like to avoid buying new bumpers, provided the stock ones can do what I need them to. I also plan on shortening the front one on each side. Really what I need answered is if these babies would hold up if I needed to be pulled out with them. Hope you guys can help! thanks.

2004 LJ Wrangler

Anyone wanna give a struggling college student some free mods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 PM
tjsooner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

winch plate mounts to the frame, don't weld d-rings to the rear sheet metal Jeep calls a bumper. There should be a rear tow hook mounted to the frame from the factory. If not you can get one here in the classifieds for cheap.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-05-2010, 02:09 AM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

... searching all day but can't seem to find too much info on the stock bumpers for the TJ/LJ.

There's plenty about them, but not what you're looking for.

Are either of them strong enough to be recovered with?

NO. Not even close.

..winch plate for the front bumper for my Mile Marker PE8000. Am I correct in believing this ties in to the frame and not the bumper?

Correct.

Also, would it be viable to weld some tabs for D-rings on the rear bumper?

Um. No.

If it's possible I'd like to avoid buying new bumpers, provided the stock ones can do what I need them to.

They hold the license plate up and the milk jugs on. That's about it.
(Consider this - ever see what's inside a modern car bumper? The plastic fascia is hiding styrofoam! All the TJ bumper does is sacrifice itself - willingly - if you hit something. It's hardly thicker than the sheet metal the body is made of.

Really what I need answered is if these babies would hold up if I needed to be pulled out with them. Hope you guys can help! thanks.

If you search well enough though, you can find pics of them Vee-shaped because someone tried to use them for recovery...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 9 Old 08-05-2010, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
zachy1029
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I know that was a lot of questions haha, so I appreciate it.

2004 LJ Wrangler

post #5 of 9 Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
If you search well enough though, you can find pics of them Vee-shaped because someone tried to use them for recovery...
Or broken, entirely. Winch lines need a stable mounting point.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage:
post #6 of 9 Old 08-05-2010, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
zachy1029
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well if the winch plate mounts onto the frame, that should be stable enough i'm guessing, right?

2004 LJ Wrangler

post #7 of 9 Old 08-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachy1029 View Post
Well if the winch plate mounts onto the frame, that should be stable enough i'm guessing, right?
Well, unless you have a structural member that's more inherently strong than the frame, it's going to have to work.

Serious Answer: yes...that's why they're made that way.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage:
post #8 of 9 Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 AM
woodie416
2011 JK Wrangler 

to make a very long story short, there was one time when i was stuck in ice. i broke through a thick sheet of it, which caused my hitch to be under the ice and my rear bumper was the only thing exposed. It was the only way i could think of to have my buddy recover me because i didnt have front tow hooks either. Basically the stock rear bumper is good enough for one hard pull and its over. luckily the hard pull my buddy gave me was enough to get my rear tires up over the thick sheet of ice, but it also ripped the bumper halfway off. just search around for factory rear tow hooks or look around because you can get a decent rear bumper with d rings for relatively cheap.
And i have a smittybilt xrc8 winch mounted on the front bumper of my tj with a smittybilt winch plate. it has worked fine that way for me multiple times and my stock front bumper is fine.

2011 JKUR 6 speed.
The Weekend Warrior
post #9 of 9 Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
zachy1029
2004 LJ Wrangler 

sweeet. sounds like i'll go with the winch on the front and a rear bumper.

2004 LJ Wrangler

Tags
tj , lj , wrangler , bumper , strength , recovery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in