rebuilt title - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-20-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
jeeper guy

rebuilt title

Hello All,
So, looking for a little insight here. i am looking at a 06 Rubicon TJ it has 10,315 miles on it, it has a rebuilt title it has a little visible damage to the left front fender. i was told it got jack knifed behind a motor home that was towing it. not being a jeep guy what should i look for when i go over the vehicle? the seller wants $13,900 for it. does having a rebuilt title make it less than book value? or is $13,900 a good price? interior is in real good condition (minus the mouse house in the glove box) 4.0 straight 6 with 6 speed no lift stock tires.
any help would be great
thank you
and a update on the Cherokee still no run putting in a new fuel pump, cleaned out tank fuel inside icky fuel was yellow like urine so i i will update when new fuel pump is in

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-20-2019, 08:11 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A salvage or rebuilt title reduces the retail sale value by about %40, assuming the repairs were done correctly. If you decide to buy, make the sale contingent on an independent safety inspection that includes measuring/inspecting the frame.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-20-2019, 08:40 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just my opinion, once a rebuilt title has been issued, that vehicle is branded and will never have normal value. Maybe even 50% less.

And, again in my opinion, $13k is way too much.

If it's in good condition and i don't have to put any money in it and I was going to keep it for years and years, and the price was much lower, I might would consider it.

Also, if you're going to make a heavily modified crawler out of it, rebuilt title doesn't matter that much.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

post #4 of 9 Old 08-20-2019, 09:52 AM
07wurubi
2006 LJ Rubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Last year I bought my LJ rubicon with a rebuilt title. For my needs and use for it, I didn't care. I didn't buy it for an investment, I bought it to make it a better trail rib than my previous TJ was. So for me, rebuilt title was just fine. Now, if I was looking for more a daily driver and something to get good resale value, rebuilt wouldn't be the way to go.

And with just over 10k miles on the TJ you are looking at, having it inspected as stated is a good idea to see if there is any damage you can see in the frame or something else. Or maybe even flood damage depending on where it is. If those things check out ok, probably somewhere between 8 and 10K would be more reasonable of a price with the title as it is. Just my opinion. Others will vary on theirs.

Mike Fox

My Jeep:
06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon
work in progress.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-20-2019, 10:54 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, and if you didn't know, the low 10k miles odometer reading is due to being a rv towed vehicle. Towed miles don't show.

So, while the engine may be near new, some of the driveline parts and chassis parts have who knows how many miles.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #6 of 9 Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper guy View Post
I am looking at a 06 Rubicon TJ it has 10,315 miles on it... i was told it got jack knifed behind a motor home that was towing it.
Keep in mind the odometer doesn't accrue mileage when the Jeep is switched off and being towed behind a motorhome. While the engine and transmission may have the low miles indicated, the vehicle as a whole has more -- how much more depends on how much they towed it.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 9 Old 08-20-2019, 09:46 PM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

$8,000 would be generous for it with a rebuilt title. Mileage is a mute point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #8 of 9 Old 08-20-2019, 11:22 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Nearly$14k will buy a clean titled Rubicon if you spend some time looking.

Get out and explore.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-21-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
jeeper guy

thanks everybody, i have decided to offer him 8500 and see what a shop says about the frame and any hidden damage. i also found out banks wont finance a rebuilt title.
i appreciate all your input thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in