Rear upper control arm bracket - broken weld - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
enfuego
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rear upper control arm bracket - broken weld

I've read a couple of threads on this, but I have some questions that I couldn't find decent answers to. The welds broke recently on my rear upper control arm brackets at the frame on both sides. One side looks like it could be welded back on, but the other side is a bit mangled. My frame's rusted and has some slight rot in the area (13 years of Buffalo winters).

First, what are my options? Obviously, new brackets are in order, but I spoke with a guy at a welding shop and he was concerned that they'd have to plate up my frame to get a halfway decent weld. Told me it would take two weeks. I don't have any welding experience, but looking at the piece, it looks like it would be a much easier job than what he quoted. I've included pictures so you guys can take a look. Where the weld is, the frame is very solid.

Second, this is my main vehicle. There's 4 other points where the axle is connected to the frame, so I'm not particularly worried about the rear end dropping out while driving, but I do realize there's some safety concerns. It might be 2 weeks or more before I can take care of this, because of the cost in both time and money. Assuming I drive as carefully as possible to avoid extra stress on these joints, is there any huge safety concern I might be missing? I haven't driven over 40 since I noticed the passenger side weld broke, but I drove from New York to Texas with the driver's side weld broken and noticed no stability problems.

Thanks for the input guys.

EDIT: On closer inspection of the pictures, it looks like the brackets broke instead of the weld.

Passenger's Side:

Driver's Side:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 01:00 PM
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

The brackets were available from the dealer when mine went. If I remember correctly the drivers side was alot more expensive than the passenger side

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Well, I've never eaten a turd sandwich, but I wouldn't have a problem recommending not to try it.:thumbsup:

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
post #3 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Currie Poly or Ruffstuff have them. Cut the old POS off and weld some beefier one back in.

SAVVY OFF ROAD - Winner of the King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge FIVE years in a row!

Email me for the fastest response:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on Facebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee

2003 TJ Project Unrolled

post #4 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't drive it like that, if both sides completely let go the only thinge keeping the housing from flipping around are the driveshaft, anti-sway bar, and tracbar, none of which are meant for that. Find a cheap rental car and get that sucker fixed right. If it lets go you could end up getting pitched into oncoming traffic or some school bus, it just isn't safe to drive as is. Honestly, as long as your at it I would get in there with a steel chisel and find out just how much rot your dealing with, see if the frame needs more work then what you already know about... like you said, 13 years of Buffalo winters that frame might be swiss cheese. If its salvageable then get in there with a scraper, wire wheel, and some POR15 to try to prevent more damage.

"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
post #5 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
enfuego
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Savvy, I wasn't able to find the brackets that mount to the frame at any of those. I sent them emails, so hopefully they'll be able to track the parts down. Would you happen to have a link to the part?

stwilson, the lower control arms are still in pretty good shape, but I'm keeping my driving to an absolute minimum and low speed. I'm definitely gonna scrape that whole area to check the extent of the rust/rot, but luckily it doesn't look too bad. It's mostly confined to one area on the outside of the frame.

I keep thinking that all of this would make a great project if this wasn't my main car!
post #6 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 05:18 PM
BoarderX47
2005 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=1035

There ya go

post #7 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
enfuego
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I saw those, but they're just bracers that go over the mount. My mounts are both snapped, so I have to find those first ;-)
post #8 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 05:52 PM
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

We've all probably driven something that had some degree of safety issues, but I would NOT drive that.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
enfuego
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the more I read around, the more scared I am to drive it. Guess I'll keep it parked until I can figure this out.

I did find this:
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...41_p_1174.html
in another thread. I don't know the specifics of what I would need though as far as the angle and bolt size goes.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 PM
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfuego View Post
stwilson, the lower control arms are still in pretty good shape, but I'm keeping my driving to an absolute minimum and low speed. I'm definitely gonna scrape that whole area to check the extent of the rust/rot, but luckily it doesn't look too bad. It's mostly confined to one area on the outside of the frame.
The problem with just having the lowers is that when you accelerate the axle shafts will rotate forward from the top, the axle housing tries to some extent to rotate backwards. The combination of upper and lower CA's both locates the housing and resists that rotation. If both uppers let go then that housing is free to rotate which will cause your tires to hit the backs of the wheel wells, your pinion angle will be all screwed up causing the U-Joints to snap, you'll mangle the track bar and anti-sway bar, and if it happens at speed then I wouldn't want to guess where that Jeep is going to end up landing... stop driving it until its fixed, if you survive the wreck the people you hit will use this thread to prove you shouldn't have been driving it when they sue you, sorry man but its just too dangerous and I know that sucks but I'd rather piss you off a little here and let you think about it and live to fix your Jeep. Good luck man.

"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
post #11 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
enfuego
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Understood. I've got her parked until I find the right parts.

Ripping out the control arms right now to see the full extent of the damage.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-06-2011, 12:36 AM
26679cj5

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The jeep just 3-linked itself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in