Rear Main Leak? - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
bamaham

Rear Main Leak?

My daughter, living away from home for school, has a 2005 TJ with a 4.0 that she purchased in May. I drove up and met her and we test drove the vehicle and all seemed fine. I got under it to look for the common rust issues and it was clean. Last week the transmission went out and she took it to Aamoco for repairs. They replaced the transmission and now there is an oil leak. I am thinking it is the rear main leaking since these things are notorious for that problem. It was not leaking before the repair, but now it is.

Question, is it possible that they were a bit too rough removing and installing the transmission and caused the rear main to develop a leak? She lives 4.5 hours away, so I am just guessing here. I am already dealing with a crappy power train warranty where the provider has denied the claim on the transmission. I just dropped $3,400 and I am broke. If it is possible the transmission shop helped create the problem, I'll even share in the cost of the repair.

Thanks for any suggestions -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 12:03 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, but I can't answer your question regarding if the trans shop could have caused the leak. But, RMS leaks are very common with our 4.0s, some think about every 50k miles. Secondly, I just replaced mine myself, after many years of leaking, and while pretty labor intensive, parts were less than $50.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
bamaham

2jhanna - was it an all day job or a two day job? I just read the instructions another user posted a while back. I usually double the time others say it took them. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty, just seem to always run into bad luck!

post #4 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 12:44 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bama, it could be a one day job, but I spent 2-3 days on it. I actually started disassembly even before I had the parts. I tend to take my time, do a lot of clean up, walk away when need be, etc.

Here's a link below where I made several post. I just again made the last post a few minutes ago. Not happy right now, you'll see why when you read it.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/r...plate-4395577/

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #5 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 01:04 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I can't see how changing the trans could damage the RMS - but I'm no expert.

Both my (running) XJ's leak but not seriously but when I read how to do the job it scared me a little. However, now I've seen a couple of vids on how it's done I feel more confident & will probably tackle one when I'm swapping in another trans, as access is better - then (hopefully) I'll feel up to doing the other one. Of course this is of little help to OP whose major problem is distance separating him from the Jeep. I think what I'd do is tell her to live with it until she can bring to him - say, next Easter.

$3,400! What, for the trans job? How can that be? It's well over 3-times what I was quoted (albeit a couple of years ago) to rebuild mine - & THAT was far more than I was prepared to pay.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
bamaham

2jhanna - Just read your posts. Sorry - gotta be rough. I am torn between going up and trying to do it or just trying to scrape up the money to a pay a shop. She lives in an apartment complex and I am not so sure they would appreciate me doing this in the parking lot.

Thanks for all the advice in your write-up -
post #7 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
bamaham

UKXJ - $3,400 is the going price in our area. I checked around because my Tahoe transmission was half that price just 18 months ago.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 01:49 PM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have removed many a transmission in my day- all out of older GM V-8's all with similar 2 piece RMS's
I just dont see how its possible to damage it by R&R a tranny

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #9 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
bamaham

Thanks guys for all your help. I just did not have a clue. The more I read, the more I see that the main seal (if that is the problem) can just suddenly start leaking. After the $3,400, I was jsut trying to grab onto anything I could. I appreciate all the input!
post #10 of 17 Old 07-14-2020, 03:44 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

this is not a fun job even in a shop, much less an apartment parking lot. Never know what you may run into or what tool you left at home.

Depending on how bad its leaking, you may can wait till next time your daughter comes home. Have her check the oil form time/time, and even have a quart and a funnel if need be.

Mine leaked but never had to add oil between changes. The 4.0 holds 6 quarts, so being 1/2 qt lo isn't a big deal.

Good luck.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #11 of 17 Old 07-15-2020, 07:06 AM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I would first verify if the Jeep is leaking engine oil, or transmission fluid. If it's transmission fluid, it is related to the work that was done, and probably more likely if it wasn't leaking anything before. If it's oil, then it's just a coincidence the rear main seal started leaking when the work was done on the transmission. The 4.0L has a 2 piece rear main seal that can be changed without even removing the transmission, so I don't believe replacing the transmission is likely to interfere with it.

Depending on how bad the rear main leak is, it really won't hurt anything besides maybe the asphalt she parks it on. Just remember to check the oil every so often, which on a 15 year old Jeep she should be doing anyway.
bamaham likes this.

0331 head swap DIY:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Build" thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous: 1990 XJ Limited, 2000 XJ Sport, 2000 XJ Sport
Current: 1998 Wrangler Sahara
post #12 of 17 Old 07-15-2020, 01:45 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaham View Post
UKXJ - $3,400 is the going price in our area. I checked around because my Tahoe transmission was half that price just 18 months ago.
Never cease to be surprised at price differences between our 2 countries, especially the parts for US vehicles that are cheaper here but one thing I'd have expected to be (much) cheaper for you guys would be auto. trans. work. I was quoted a couple of years ago (by the only trans. shop in town) £800 - say $1,000 - either to repair my 2nd XJ's trans 0R pull the one out of my 1st one (already reduced to parts status) & swap that in - so I bought a 3rd one for a few $'s more.
bamaham likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-15-2020, 02:48 PM
shortydog33

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Verify it is the rear main and not the valve cover, they tend to leak from the rear and oil runs down the back of the engine and appears to be a rear main seal, a lot of times it is just the valve cover and an easy fix. Just something to check.
bamaham likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-16-2020, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
bamaham

Thanks for all the input folks. I am going to try and drive up in two weeks. She knows to check the oil at least every two days for now until we find the cause.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-16-2020, 10:15 AM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortydog33 View Post
Verify it is the rear main and not the valve cover, they tend to leak from the rear and oil runs down the back of the engine and appears to be a rear main seal, a lot of times it is just the valve cover and an easy fix. Just something to check.
It could be the valve cover since it will run down the block to the same spot, but in my experience the valve cover is usually just a seep, and won't create as much of a drip onto the ground as the rear main seal or oil pan unfortunately.
bamaham likes this.

0331 head swap DIY:

"Build" thread:

Previous: 1990 XJ Limited, 2000 XJ Sport, 2000 XJ Sport
Current: 1998 Wrangler Sahara

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in