8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 03-27-2020, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
ozzyjeep69
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rear Diff - cant get the axle pin out

Hi, need some advice please.

I have a 98 TJ 2.5 petrol project.

The rear diff was known to be bad, had a bad whine. Ive had the cover off and sure enough there is a tooth smashed on the big ring, loads of debris in there.

Luckily enough the previous owner left an entire new spare pumpkin (I think its called), in the boot / trunk for the americans! Yay.

Strangely there was no small bolt holding the big central "spider gear"? pin in place. However, I cant get the big central pin out. Ive given it a few gentle whacks with a persuader in both directions, but its not budging.

Should I pound on it? Is there a trick to getting it out? I guess I cant get the pumpkin unity out without getting the pin out so the axles can slide sideways - even if I unbolt the carrier covers..?

Help!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200327_152400.jpg   IMG_20200327_152113.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-27-2020, 10:24 AM
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

unfortunately you have a broken cross shaft bolt (pin) Beating on it will likely break the cast metal holding it in. There are different methods of removing it. Google "removing broken cross shsft pin" and take your choice. Now as you will have to replace the ring gear in any event and if you have some means of cutting the cross shaft without damaging the axle (torch comes to mind) then you could do that. then push in the axles, remove the "C" clips and remove the axles. Now you can remove the Carrier assembly and work on a bench to remove the broken bolt.

How can you trust an atom, they make up everything
post #3 of 34 Old 03-27-2020, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
ozzyjeep69
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The small pin/bold which goes through the big cross shaft pin IS definitely out, gone, all the way, no where to be seen.

If I get a small scewdriver / q-tip it goes all the way through. So does that make life easier?

I do not have any cutting equipment. Home amateur mechanic...

post #4 of 34 Old 03-27-2020, 12:28 PM
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, If you are certain that the pin is no longer there ( please be certain) and nobody has welded the cross shaft in place then by all means get a suitable sized punch and a good size hammer and drive it out. All that holds it in place is that pin. I am just amazed that it has not fallen out while being driven and caused some catastrophic damage.

post #5 of 34 Old 03-27-2020, 03:36 PM
Ben

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyjeep69 View Post
Should I pound on it? Is there a trick to getting it out? I guess I cant get the pumpkin unity out without getting the pin out so the axles can slide sideways - even if I unbolt the carrier covers..? Help!
The C clips need to come out first so you can take the axles out, so that means the rear has to be on jackstands with no tires or brakes.
Then the whole pumkpin (carrier) comes out. Mark the bearing caps so you put them back the same.
Then take the ring gear off of the carrier, remember the bolts are reverse thread.
The cross pin does not have a retaining bolt like others, it's a roll pin, and it sure looks like some or most of yours is still in there.
Then the cross pin will slide right out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 34 Old 03-27-2020, 04:17 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
The cross pin does not have a retaining bolt like others, it's a roll pin, and it sure looks like some or most of yours is still in there.
Some Dana 35 differentials do indeed have a threaded retaining bolt in there, not a roll pin. I assisted a friend with her broken Dana 35 axle shaft and I needed a 12-pt. 1/4" socket to get the threaded retaining bolt out so I could replace the broken shaft.
Ben likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #7 of 34 Old 03-27-2020, 04:18 PM
fromme

2003 TJ Wrangler 

In your photo I can clearly see the roll pin that holds the main cross pin is still in place. You need to drive that roll pin out and then the cross pin will slide out for you. You will need the correct size punch or driver tool to drive that pin out.

2003 TJ Rubicon, 3" Zone lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, 4.88s, Warn Zeon 8S winch
post #8 of 34 Old 03-27-2020, 05:18 PM
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
In your photo I can clearly see the roll pin that holds the main cross pin is still in place. You need to drive that roll pin out and then the cross pin will slide out for you. You will need the correct size punch or driver tool to drive that pin out.
That I was not aware of, front Dana30's yes. I am unable to discern the roll pin, but for sure I would try to emove it as suggested. I did not mean to lead you astray. But hopefully you now have the correct answer.

post #9 of 34 Old 03-27-2020, 06:27 PM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
In your photo I can clearly see the roll pin that holds the main cross pin is still in place.
To me it looks like a threaded bolt that has broken off at the threads. i 'zoomed in' and there appears to be threads showing in the housing.
BrokeJeepJoe likes this.
post #10 of 34 Old 03-27-2020, 06:59 PM
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I believe either supposition could be correct. IMO ozzyjeep69 it would be prudent to try to remove the "roll Pin" with a small punch first. If indeed you can put a Q-tip right through the pin, it would point to a roll pin securing the cross shaft, rather then a broken bolt

post #11 of 34 Old 03-28-2020, 02:18 AM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Not saying it isnt a roll pin, Ive seen strange stuff done to rigs, but there is no where for it to exit if you were to "punch it thru"
post #12 of 34 Old 03-28-2020, 02:36 AM
Arty McGeep

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Looks like maybe the bolt head broke off and someone already drilled a hole through it, in an attempt to remove it. Since you have an extra carrier, just keep drilling it out with larger diameter drill bits until all the threads are drilled out. The rest of the bolt/pin should come out then. I don’t think you can punch it through. It will have to come out the way it went in. I’ve never seen a roll pin there, but maybe? If it is, drill that sucker out. What do you have to lose? Use a left handed drill bit if you can. Maybe you’ll get lucky and it will catch and unscrew the bolt. A right angle drill such as this might be handy. Oh, don’t forget to make sure the new gear ratio is the same, obviously haha.
Attached Thumbnails
2212F309-3D87-48EA-A683-153000A6A389_1585385245378.jpg  
post #13 of 34 Old 03-28-2020, 06:48 AM
Ben

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty McGeep View Post
Since you have an extra carrier, just keep drilling it out with larger diameter drill bits until all the threads are drilled out.
The only benefit to keeping this carrier would be not having to set the gears back up.

The more I look at it the more I agree it looks like a bolt. Had to drill one out on an 8.8 one time. Fun stuff.
Seeing as you're 4.10 and the ring gear has to come off (other ratios the cross pin can slide past) you might as well pull the carrier and fight the good fight on your work bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty McGeep View Post
Use a left handed drill bit if you can.
yes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 34 Old 03-28-2020, 10:33 AM
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Some Dana 35 differentials do indeed have a threaded retaining bolt in there, not a roll pin. I assisted a friend with her broken Dana 35 axle shaft and I needed a 12-pt. 1/4" socket to get the threaded retaining bolt out so I could replace the broken shaft.

Jerry you are indeed correct. All dana 35 differentials use a cross pin locking bolt. The dana 30 front differentials use a drift pin.

If you are lucky, you may be able to heat the differential case with a propane torch to melt the Loctite, then back the retaining bolt out with a trans pick. If that doesn't work you may need a right angle drill and an EZ out kit.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4" Clayton long arm
35" Mickey Thompsons, lots of stuff
Black Magic Big brake kit
post #15 of 34 Old 03-28-2020, 04:12 PM
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think he may have a Dana 44 axle going by the photo?.

and if as the OP name suggests he is in Australia, then its certainly a 44 as all TJ Wranglers delivered there had Dana 44's as standard, but then again he mentions a 2.5 motor. all Aussie delivered TJ's only had the 4.0

2005 TJ Light Khaki

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in