Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rear D44 (Rubi) Axle Noise on Takeoff

721 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  F9K9 
#1 ·
All,

My 2006 Rubicon is making an odd sound when I first begin to accelerate from either stop or while going very slowly (<5mph). The sound is a dull pop that seems to be coming from the rear passenger side axle. It happens on all surfaces, with the locker engaged or not.

I recently upgraded to 285/75R16 tires after a lift and all new adjustable control arms. I don’t think it is a suspension noise, but I checked all the bolts, greased everything again, and made sure there was no incidental-contact under there.

Because it sounded to be coming from the drive train somewhere, I checked it all out. U-Joints are in great shape. I pulled the differential cover, and there was only a very light dusting of metal, no chunks or shavings. There is no play on the carrier, and no bearing sounds when free-spinning. The passenger-side axle is in great shape – no wear on the splines to speak of, and the bearing is free of any catches or slop.

However, the locker was making quite a racket as the dogs were not fully engaging when it was actuated. The noise it was making was similar to what I was hearing, but it happened rhythmically – once per revolution it seemed. I cycled the locker many times, while a buddy of mine checked the engagement. When it was fully disengaged or fully engaged, there was no sound to speak of. The gear oil was a little old, so we figured that there was some build up or gum on the dogs and actuator. I cleaned everything as well as I could without taking anything apart, and reassembled everything.

On my first test drive I did not hear the noise. But, this morning it was back. I’m a lot more confident about the condition of the axle, but I cannot stand having a noise that I don’t understand. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Its the factory Rubicon air-locker. The noise is new, the locker is original.

#4 ·
sounds like the locker is starting to go out. Very common for the factory rubi lockers. Ive blown one up myself with my swapped in rubi 44. And have a customer at the shop that is on his 4th factory locker. I would start looking into a different locker option or get a rubi front locker and have it put in the rear.

The problem with them is that the factory limited slip that they have goes bad and starts taking teeth off of the gears that are in the locker that active the lsd. The front lockers are much stronger since the don't have the lsd in them.

#6 ·
sounds like the locker is starting to go out. Very common for the factory rubi lockers. Ive blown one up myself with my swapped in rubi 44....................
X2
.....have a customer at the shop that is on his 4th factory locker..............
I might understand a second stocker but, a third is ridiculous on his part. They do not come cheap unless you are very lucky.
What causes these failures?..........
The limited slip takes up room so, the locker is not as big as the front ones. It is extremely common to have the rears break first and to swap a front into the rear.

Somehow, I broke my front first and decided right then and there to upgrade and not fool with a stocker again. I have heard but, can not explain why or even if, it is factual, to just lock the rear oem locker once you get into 4 Low and just leave it there. Maybe that is why mine is still going and my front one broke.

#5 ·
What causes these failures? On mine, the sound occurs with the differential locked, so I don't see how the Limited Slip portion would be at fault as it still occurs when the locker is engaged. The locking action seems simple enough that there isn't all that much to fail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.