Rear caliper flip write-up. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 12-04-2011, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Rear caliper flip write-up.

Doing a rear caliper flip is straight forward, and easy. I figured snapping some pictures, and throwing up a “write-up” was the least I could do for Mr.Blaine setting me up with his new parking brake flip set-up.

I will post a link to the product here as soon as I find one.

I flipped my calipers to free up space for out boarding my rear shocks. It also gets the calipers more out of the way. The extra leverage from the kit is an added bonus I didn’t expect.

First thing to do is drain the rear differential, get the rear on jack stands, and the rear wheels off.

Remove the caliper bolts and set the calipers and rotors out of the way.

Use a 9/16th” wrench to remove the four nuts holding axle plate on.

Carefully remove the axle shaft. Now the backing plate for the calipers will slip right off. You will need to remove the parking brake cable.

I used a flat head screw driver to pry up and slip the end of the cable off.

This part of the only PITA I found. The first one took me a few minutes to get out. I found pulling a little tension while using a very small flat head screwdriver to push the prongs down worked ok.

At this point I swapped the calipers, and the backing plates from one side to the other.

You will need an allen wrench and 3/8th” wrench for the bolt on the kit. It’s very obvious how the adapter fits on.

The cable ends needed some minor grinding to clean them up for a nice fit.

Make sure and test fit it all. I cheated and clearanced the pin a little to speed things up.

I found it easier to fit the end in place first. Then pull the spring and the adapter until you have enough cable to fit through the opening.

Slide the backing plates back on the four axle bolts. I found a small bungee cord helpful since the angle of the cable wanted to push the plate forward. Clean up any sealant you may have had on your axle seals, recoat with sealant. Install the axle shafts. FSM for my 06 said 45 ft lbs on the four nuts. It also says never reuse the nut and bolts. I also like to use some red thread locker on them.

Install the calipers making sure the bleed stop cock is on top. 11 ft lbs, and don't forget some anti-seize on the bolts.

If you have this bracket on the rear coil bucket you may have to adjust it. It has a folded out prong and a bolt that hold it in place. I removed the bolt, bent the prong out of the way. I could them adjust the angle of the bracket so the adapter would not hit it.

This was a good time to double check the parking brake pads, and adjust if needed.

Now bleed your brakes, fill the rear with gear lube, and take a test drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 12-04-2011, 11:38 PM
55willystruck

Excellent post, nice writeup. I'll have to save this for later, and mark this as a necessary upgrade when funds allow. Should also free up a little room for the rear anti-rock axle mount to be moved a bit further back as well-mine is currently a bit higher on the axle than I'd like. The outboard and this will resolve a handful of issues at once.

Nicely done, Thanks!!!

Best of Luck,

Mike
post #3 of 37 Old 12-05-2011, 08:34 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
Doing a rear caliper flip is straight forward, and easy. I figured snapping some pictures, and throwing up a “write-up” was the least I could do for Mr.Blaine setting me up with his new parking brake flip set-up.

I will post a link to the product here as soon as I find one.
You're welcome and we're working on getting them listed.

Quote:
I flipped my calipers to free up space for out boarding my rear shocks. It also gets the calipers more out of the way. The extra leverage from the kit is an added bonus I didn’t expect.
I've had issues with my calipers hitting the shock bodies and really messing stuff up under high articulation. I installed this kit before the last trip and the issues are gone and I now have the best parking brake I've ever had.

Quote:

First thing to do is drain the rear differential, get the rear on jack stands, and the rear wheels off.

Remove the caliper bolts and set the calipers and rotors out of the way.

Use a 9/16th” wrench to remove the four nuts holding axle plate on.

Carefully remove the axle shaft. Now the backing plate for the calipers will slip right off. You will need to remove the parking brake cable.

I used a flat head screw driver to pry up and slip the end of the cable off.

This part of the only PITA I found. The first one took me a few minutes to get out. I found pulling a little tension while using a very small flat head screwdriver to push the prongs down worked ok.
That part is very easy to do with a small hose clamp. Just slide it about 1/8" back from the inside of the bracket, tighten it down to squeeze the prongs in while pulling the cable out.

Quote:

At this point I swapped the calipers, and the backing plates.
I did it the same way, but, I also figured out that if you aren't messing with the brakes, you don't have to move the calipers unless you open the bleeders. They only need to be moved to put the bleeders on top and they'll work just fine "upside down".

Quote:
You will need an allen wrench and 3/8th” wrench for the bolt on the kit. It’s very obvious how the adapter fits on.

The cable ends needed some minor grinding to clean them up for a nice fit.
That's odd. I checked the fit on Crown cables, Unlimited cables, and TJ cables and they fit just fine. Which ones are you using?

Quote:

Make sure and test fit it all. I cheated and clearanced the pin a little to speed things up.
What was the clearancing for?

Quote:

I found it easier to fit the end in place first. Then pull the spring and the adapter until you have enough cable to fit through the opening.

Slide the backing plates back on the four axle bolts. I found a small bungee cord helpful since the angle of the cable wanted to push the plate forward. Clean up any sealant you may have had on your axle seals, recoat with sealant. Install the axle shafts. FSM for my 06 said 45 ft lbs on the four nuts. It also says never reuse the nut and bolts. I also like to use some red thread locker on them.

Install the calipers making sure the bleed stop cock is on top. 11 ft lbs, and don't forget some anti-seize on the bolts.

If you have this bracket on the rear coil bucket you may have to adjust it. It has a folded out prong and a bolt that hold it in place. I removed the bolt, bent the prong out of the way. I could them adjust the angle of the bracket so the adapter would not hit it.

Yep, I've had to move that bracket on all of them so far.

Quote:
This was a good time to double check the parking brake pads, and adjust if needed.

Now bleed your brakes, fill the rear with gear lube, and take a test drive.

Nice job, thanks.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.

post #4 of 37 Old 12-05-2011, 08:50 AM
TJRHD

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write up! Props for finding cool solutions to these issure!

NOT A HATER
post #5 of 37 Old 12-05-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You're welcome and we're working on getting them listed.
Thank you again for the parts. When they are listed I will put a link up above.

Quote:
I've had issues with my calipers hitting the shock bodies and really messing stuff up under high articulation. I installed this kit before the last trip and the issues are gone and I now have the best parking brake I've ever had.
The parking brake is great. I hardly have to pull the handle now. I feel better about parking in my steep driveway on the hill now.

Quote:
That part is very easy to do with a small hose clamp. Just slide it about 1/8" back from the inside of the bracket, tighten it down to squeeze the prongs in while pulling the cable out.
That sounds like a much better way to go.

Quote:
I did it the same way, but, I also figured out that if you aren't messing with the brakes, you don't have to move the calipers unless you open the bleeders. They only need to be moved to put the bleeders on top and they'll work just fine "upside down".
That would have been nice, and would cut the time in half. I gave it a quick look. I assumed they had to be moved because of the short amount of play in the rubber hoses.

Quote:
That's odd. I checked the fit on Crown cables, Unlimited cables, and TJ cables and they fit just fine. Which ones are you using?
I swapped this D44 in a couple years ago. It didn't come with cables, so I pick some up from RockAuto.com. At that time they only had Omix-Ada cables, not my first choice.

Quote:
What was the clearancing for?
The pin would not fit through the cable end on one of the sides. A couple seconds with a Drumel seemed easier then drilling. I'm guessing better quality cables would have saved me the trouble.

Quote:
Yep, I've had to move that bracket on all of them so far.

Nice job, thanks.

Thanks again for the kit! I was hoping you would add your advice here.

post #6 of 37 Old 12-05-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck View Post
Excellent post, nice writeup. I'll have to save this for later, and mark this as a necessary upgrade when funds allow. Should also free up a little room for the rear anti-rock axle mount to be moved a bit further back as well-mine is currently a bit higher on the axle than I'd like. The outboard and this will resolve a handful of issues at once.

Nicely done, Thanks!!!

Best of Luck,

Mike
Thanks. The plan was to get the springs straight and the shocks outboard right after this. Flu season kept that from happening, but it will happen soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD View Post
Nice write up!
Hope it helps.

post #7 of 37 Old 12-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Would these work with the 8.8 rear axle as well?

If the calipers are flipped to the forward side of the brakes should they also be flipped from left to right to get the bleed screw above the caliper?

Nice write up! Thanks for posting it!
post #8 of 37 Old 12-05-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Would these work with the 8.8 rear axle as well?

If the calipers are flipped to the forward side of the brakes should they also be flipped from left to right to get the bleed screw above the caliper?

Nice write up! Thanks for posting it!
IIRC from the thread when Blaine first posted the adapters they will work on the 8.8.
Edit for quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
They should work with any rear discs that the TJ, ZJ, and LJ parking brake cables plug into and yours will be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
They will work with the Explorer discs and no TJ 35 came with discs that I know of although I haven't paid any attention to the 04 and up stuff, so if the 04 up 35's did get discs at some point, they will be fine. If they didn't come from the factory with discs, then they likely have some from a TJ, Liberty, Unlimited, or ZJ in which case they will also work fine.

I swapped the calipers, but from what Blaine said above you could position them to work with out swapping sides.

post #9 of 37 Old 12-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Boundless

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Subbed

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker

post #10 of 37 Old 12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I wasn't sure if you switched the calipers from side to side from your write up. I eventually plan on outboarding my rear shocks, so I appreciate the time you took to post up this mod! Thanks again!
post #11 of 37 Old 12-05-2011, 05:08 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
IIRC from the thread when Blaine first posted the adapters they will work on the 8.8.
Edit for quote:

I swapped the calipers, but from what Blaine said above you could position them to work with out swapping sides.

Probably depends on the length of your flex hoses. I have 8.8 rear discs on my HP 60 with the Currie hose kit and they are about 10" long. I didn't have to relocate or bend anything to move them from side to side.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #12 of 37 Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 PM
jon1371usmc
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Is this part available yet? What axles will it work with? Possibly a Ford 8.8, or are we limited on Dana axles? Thanks.
post #13 of 37 Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 PM
TJRHD

2005 TJ Wrangler 

post #14 of 37 Old 01-06-2012, 05:49 PM
jon1371usmc
2004 LJ Wrangler 

thanks. shouldve done more research.
post #15 of 37 Old 01-26-2012, 07:37 PM
goody6691
2003 TJ Wrangler 

just ordered the parts gonna install them when i rebuild the rear axle next week.

o3 tj, yellow, currie 4 in,savvy arms, 1in bl, mml, ramsey 9500, synth line, 8.8, 456's, arb's. 35x12.5x17 mtrk's, 17x8.5 raceline beadlocks, aem, banks exhaust, psc rear stinger, no limits front stinger, rockmen corners, a-z cage, piaa lights, rampage softtop, anti-rock, AA shifter, UCF aluminum skid.........98 audi a4, fully built, 350 whp awd, yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in