Rear Bumper suggestions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 07-16-2010, 04:31 AM
Coop02x

2002 TJ Wrangler 

May want to check out Ground Pounder Fab's rear bumper. Besrk (Eddie) is a moderator here on JF and makes basic front and rear bumpers as well as rear bumper/tire carrier combo. Read through his thread about bumpers and it will give you an idea of his work. His bumpers are the very best "bang for your buck," hands down! So long as they are what you are in the market for. Comments throughout the thread speak for themselves regarding quality and service. Shipping will not be all that much either considering you are in Raleigh, NC. His shop is in Newport News, VA so I don't think shipping will be that much greater than what I paid (not much at all) to have a rear bumper/tire carrier shipped to SW VA (I am about 2.5 hrs away from Raleigh).

However, his bumpers are not rated (the whole legal thing) but if you read through the thread you can get an idea of what you can expect from the bumper.

Again, if I were to do it all over again, I would not have bought any other rear bumper/tire carrier (he can make you a basic rear bumper that does not have the swing out tire carrier). You can also get his frame tie in kit, accessories along with other things as well. The frame tie in kit is just as stout as the bumper! Figured it wouldn't hurt for you to check it out and see what you think.

Coop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 07-16-2010, 06:45 AM
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop02x View Post
May want to check out Ground Pounder Fab's rear bumper. Besrk (Eddie) is a moderator here on JF and makes basic front and rear bumpers as well as rear bumper/tire carrier combo. Read through his thread about bumpers and it will give you an idea of his work. His bumpers are the very best "bang for your buck," hands down! So long as they are what you are in the market for. Comments throughout the thread speak for themselves regarding quality and service. Shipping will not be all that much either considering you are in Raleigh, NC. His shop is in Newport News, VA so I don't think shipping will be that much greater than what I paid (not much at all) to have a rear bumper/tire carrier shipped to SW VA (I am about 2.5 hrs away from Raleigh).

However, his bumpers are not rated (the whole legal thing) but if you read through the thread you can get an idea of what you can expect from the bumper.

Again, if I were to do it all over again, I would not have bought any other rear bumper/tire carrier (he can make you a basic rear bumper that does not have the swing out tire carrier). You can also get his frame tie in kit, accessories along with other things as well. The frame tie in kit is just as stout as the bumper! Figured it wouldn't hurt for you to check it out and see what you think.
x2. High quality product from a knowledgable fabricator.
post #18 of 26 Old 07-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Though out of the price range you stated, my opinion is the Shrockworks LJ bumper to be the best design as it is the only one I found that provides extra coverage for the LJ quarters.

Very well made and it came with frame tie-ins.

I got mine in bare steel and painted it. I don't trust the powder coat provided by vendors from past experiences... a blanket statement, yes, but...

The one downside is the time to deliver it. Mine took about 10 weeks as they are made to order.

post #19 of 26 Old 07-16-2010, 07:11 AM
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Might take a look at Savvy's new aluminum bumpers. I don't think, though that they will fit the OP's criteria of receiver hitch and d-ring mounts. It looks like they have two versions, one with d-ring mounts and one with a receiver opening. I guess the theory is that if you have the reciever opening, you can use a receiver-mounted d-ring or tow hook.

It does include frame tie-ins, though, and based on Savvy's reputation, is probably a quality piece of work, without the weight penalties of heavier steel bumpers.

'03 red Rubi
post #20 of 26 Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 AM
MAMMOTH
Wooly Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was planning on getting a HighRock (Bestop) bumper since it is rated for towing and had D-Ring mounts. Looks pretty much just like the one pictured earlier in the thread.

2004 TJ Rubicon - 3" lift, 1" BL, Brown Dog MML with Super brackets, 33's, Warn Winch, VanCo BBK - (Thanks MisfitSeven), IronRock tierod, Ten Factory shafts.
Future upgrades - Too many to list
1999 XJ - DD with 228k
2007 JK Unlimited - The wife's ride.
post #21 of 26 Old 07-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop02x View Post
May want to check out Ground Pounder Fab's rear bumper. Besrk (Eddie) is a moderator here on JF and makes basic front and rear bumpers as well as rear bumper/tire carrier combo.
I agree 100% with the quote. Look no further. This is the bumper you want. Very high quality, great price and an excellent person to work with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BDS Springs, MetalCloak Arms, Fox Shocks, Warn Winch, Savvy Ft Bumper, Antirock, GenRight Fenders, GR8 Top, 35" Pittbulls, 5.13's, Revolution Axle Shafts, LS/6.0, 4L80e

'76 CJ-7, 33" Swampers, 6-Point Cage, 4-Speed, Dana 300 Twin Stick
post #22 of 26 Old 07-16-2010, 10:59 AM
sealion2288

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I tow this...

with this...

GroundPounder rear bumper.

Very close to 2200 lbs loaded, no issues. Came with frame tie-ins. Price was incredibly inexpensive. I've used it for almost 3 years now.
post #23 of 26 Old 07-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Chilly

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here is a link for a bumper with tow and D-rings for less than $200 off ebay

JEEP WRANGLER TJ YJ REAR BUMPER with HITCH RECEIVER : eBay Motors (item 200495270112 end time Jul-19-10 20:33:02 PDT)

05 Unlimited 3" lift, 33" MT MTZ so far
post #24 of 26 Old 07-16-2010, 01:54 PM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/prod...cat=258&page=1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.

Last edited by jeepinmichguy_; 07-16-2010 at 02:04 PM.
post #25 of 26 Old 07-17-2010, 08:06 AM
sealion2288

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Mine was delivered for much less than that.
post #26 of 26 Old 07-17-2010, 10:53 AM
van1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The ground ponder rear bumper is good. What you might want to look is ensuring the bumper is 3/8ths thick and is welded front and back of the hitch. It should have the lower mounts that tie in. Also a must is to go with what another poster suggested and buy the frame tie ins. $35-$50 FYI, Ebay has some great deals on rear bumpers that are 3/8ths thick with receiver at $156.00 I dont think it can be beat...but I didn't check to see if it was welded front and back.....etc.

Tags
rear bumper , tj , lj , wrangler , suggestions , help , advice , replacement , replace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in