Rear Bumper suggestions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
tshuelsman

1978 CJ7 

Garage
Rear Bumper suggestions

I will be buying a 06 LJ Rubicon this weekend and the PO installed a HORRIBLE rear bumper and Im looking to replace it.

I wanted to stay under or around $300 and I wanted the bumper to have some D-Ring mounts, 2" reciever that I can tow with and possibly somewhere to mount some lights.

I don't like round tube bumpers and looking from something that is sturdy and won't rust in a year.

Anybody have any suggestions on REAR bumpers that I should look into?

Please post pics if possible.

In God we Trust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-14-2010, 11:23 PM
MisfitSeven
MAiL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

looking for just a bumper, or a swing out tire carrier rear bumper?

Mail crawling.
post #3 of 26 Old 07-14-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
tshuelsman

1978 CJ7 

Garage
Just a bumper

In God we Trust.

post #4 of 26 Old 07-14-2010, 11:43 PM
MisfitSeven
MAiL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

something like this maybe?

Mail crawling.
post #5 of 26 Old 07-14-2010, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
tshuelsman

1978 CJ7 

Garage
Can you tow with it? Most bumpers like that say not rated for towing... is that just to cover them when it breaks?

In God we Trust.
post #6 of 26 Old 07-14-2010, 11:52 PM
MisfitSeven
MAiL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

what do you plan on towing?
what kind of lights are you going to mount?

Mail crawling.
post #7 of 26 Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
tshuelsman

1978 CJ7 

Garage
lawn trailer and maybe a 17ft boat sometimes...and I would be mounting extra reverse lights. Its not manditory but I thought it would be cool if a rear bumper had light tabs like a front bumper has

In God we Trust.
post #8 of 26 Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 PM
MisfitSeven
MAiL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

i dont think you should be pulling a 17 ft boat with a TJ.
you might swing your tailgate open too far and take out one of your extra reverse lights.

Mail crawling.
post #9 of 26 Old 07-15-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
tshuelsman

1978 CJ7 

Garage
its not a heavy boat, its a jon boat. Either way any more idea for a bumper? Smittybuilt makes one is that any different that than Pro Comp from above

In God we Trust.
post #10 of 26 Old 07-15-2010, 12:06 AM
MisfitSeven
MAiL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

i think you would break the mounting bolts before the hitch would break.
otherwise, check eBay.

Mail crawling.
post #11 of 26 Old 07-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Get some frame tie ins for it as well. Most arent rated for towing because the manufaturers dont want to be held liable. Truth is, most will hold up fine for whatever a TJ/LJ would safely be able to tow.
post #12 of 26 Old 07-15-2010, 12:58 AM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a rear bumper like the one pictured in post #4 (might be stamped Genuine Steel or Pro-Comp). It was a bit of a pain to mount, but it seems pretty sturdy. I had two triangle shaped tabs (with a hole punched in the center of each) welded on both sides of the receiver and to the bumper to further tie it in with the bumper itself. It reinforced the receiver, and gave me a place to put the safety chains when pulling a trailer. I also got a pair of ROKMEN bumper/frame tie-in brackets. All-in-all I've got around $200 in it. You're on your own for mounting additional back-up lights.
post #13 of 26 Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 AM
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
I've got a rear bumper like the one pictured in post #4 (might be stamped Genuine Steel or Pro-Comp). It was a bit of a pain to mount, but it seems pretty sturdy. I had two triangle shaped tabs (with a hole punched in the center of each) welded on both sides of the receiver and to the bumper to further tie it in with the bumper itself. It reinforced the receiver, and gave me a place to put the safety chains when pulling a trailer. I also got a pair of ROKMEN bumper/frame tie-in brackets. All-in-all I've got around $200 in it. You're on your own for mounting additional back-up lights.
Yup, I'd definitely gusset the receiver if youll be towing. Just a little more piece of mind.
post #14 of 26 Old 07-15-2010, 03:26 AM
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't want it to rust right away I would avoid smitybuilt. Most bumpers aren't rated for towing for two reasons the first is liability the second is they don't tie in to the frame. If you plan to tow anything with your bumper you must buy frame tie ins, like the Rokmen ones the rear cross member is not strong enough for towing.

Max

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
post #15 of 26 Old 07-15-2010, 05:23 AM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Also if you're going to be towing with one of these (Pro-Comp/Smittybuilt/Genuine Steele bumpers) or using it as an attachment for pulling:

These bumpers usually have a piece of 1/4" plate welded on the back of the bumper with threaded holes for bolting to the rear crossmember. So even if you use the best frame tie-ins (I prefer the Rokmen) the bumper bolts are only threaded into a 1/4" thick piece of metal; therefore the bolts only have 1/4" of threads to bite into to hold the bumper in place, and to resist pulls. So for the outside four bolts (there's two on each side one above the other) get longer (grade 5 or 8) bolts so at least 5/8" - 3/4" of threads protrude after you've cinched it down, and then thread a locking nut down the threads. These four outside bolts you can reach them from the backside of the bumper - you can't put a socket on them, but you can turn them with a box end wrench. That way (going from rear to front) you've got a locking nut, bumper backing plate, cross member, frame tie-in, washer, & bolt head. Those extra locking nuts might make all the difference.

Tags
rear bumper , tj , lj , wrangler , suggestions , help , advice , replacement , replace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in