Rear axle seal failure? Cost? - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-07-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
gsindela
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Rear axle seal failure? Cost?

My mechanic tells me that one of my rear axle seals is failing and differential fluid is leaking on to the wheel. He said they may need to replace the bearing as well. This is way above my pay grade.

He estimated $300-500 for the job. I looked at rockauto.com and the parts are only about $50. Clearly, I could not do this by myself.

Does this estimate seem about right to you guys??

For what its worth, I do like and trust this mechanic. But I tend to be skeptical of any mechanic within a reasonable margin.

Thanks in advance for any input! -Gordon.

Edit: Found this...https://***************.com/threads/...angler-tj.380/

Edit2: Link appears to not be working, but the step by step show what looks to me like a very complicated procedure.

Based on that, sounds like $300-500 is more than reasonable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-07-2019, 10:30 AM
BrokeTJ

If itís a dana 35, you have c-clips which make you pull the diff cover off and center pin out of the carrier. Dana 44 with the axle bearing retainers you dont have too pull the cover. Easy repair either way, as long as your confident in your self and study up on some YouTube how to videos. Your golden. Having a seal pry tool makes it easier for the old seal removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gsindela likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-07-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
gsindela
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeTJ View Post
If itís a dana 35, you have c-clips which make you pull the diff cover off and center pin out of the carrier. Dana 44 with the axle bearing retainers you dont have too pull the cover. Easy repair either way, as long as your confident in your self and study up on some YouTube how to videos. Your golden. Having a seal pry tool makes it easier for the old seal removal.

Its a D35. Thanks for the Info!

post #4 of 21 Old 08-08-2019, 10:25 AM
BrokeTJ

Absolutely, little grease on the inner part of the seal that rests on the axle shaft and I always like to clean the axle tube with brake clean then hit the outside of the seal with a little rtv. Extra insurance bc I hate leaks.

gsindela likes this.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-08-2019, 10:49 AM
Figgy

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I did my d44 axels I removed them took them to drive line shop they charged me 125 to remove and replace my axel seal and press new bearing on.

Tools used this website YouTube basic hand tools a breaker bar and elbow grease .
gsindela likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Jeepsr4me

a dana 35 is the easiest to do..

If you got a 5/16 wrench and 1/2 in socket and lug wrench...
make dang sure you have the 5/16 or 8mm wrench and its a closed end GOOD one... can strip that tiny *** bolt..

seals just about pop out once the axle is taken out. Even the bearings come out easy...

Hardest part to me is draining the fluid and cleaning the diff and cover... rest is cake walk.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-27-2019, 07:47 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

For the past 2-3 weeks I've been addressing my TJs leaks. So far I've replaced a leaking valve cover gasket and rear pinion seal. I had started new threads for each of those asking questions and posting results. So far, so good on those.

My latest goal was right rear axle seal on D44. With the help of internet web info and videos, including this forum, I went from 4 tires on the ground to this in less than 40 minutes. I've got the bearing, retainer, seal, retainer plate kit for $47 shipped, and my neighbor has a press. Should have 4 tires back on the ground in less than an hour in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2445.jpg   IMG_2444.jpg  
TheBoogieman likes this.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #8 of 21 Old 09-28-2019, 11:00 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

All done, total time approx 2 hours, total cost $47 for kit and $2 can of brake clean.

The only surprise was how easy it was. The only frustration was cleaning leaked gear lube from brake shoe area. The only help needed was use of neighbors press.

Now I'll just keep an eye on it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2446.jpg   IMG_2447.jpg  

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #9 of 21 Old 09-28-2019, 01:38 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

OP, your rear diff is a D35 and mine a D44, so I don't know how much of my info in the last 2 posts relates to your situation.

One other point I will make, since the whole point was leaky seal, is that to get to and replace the seal, maybe a $5 part, you have to cut off and destroy and replace a perfectly good $45 bearing and retainer. Maybe I should have listed this as a frustration also.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #10 of 21 Old 09-28-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
gsindela
2003 TJ Wrangler 

OP here, had my shop do it as mechanical ability is not my strong suit. Paid about $275.
post #11 of 21 Old 09-28-2019, 05:29 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

@gsindela
Not a bad price at all if that includes parts and labour for both rear axle bearings and shaft seals. FYI, the link you posted initially goes to a walk through of replacing the inner axle seals on a front Dana 30 or 44; replacing the axle seals on a rear Dana 35 isn't as difficult a task.
gsindela likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #12 of 21 Old 09-28-2019, 05:38 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

D35 , Ford 8.8 and other C clip axle bearings are easy to change. Having to get into the diff is a simple but PIA detail of C clip axles.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-03-2019, 05:33 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well guys, I tooted my horn too fast, I have a leak. I'm gonna pulled the brake drum and flange this week end. My guess is the seal didn't seat correctly.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #14 of 21 Old 10-03-2019, 07:31 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Don't forget to grease the seal lip well to keep it from burning on the axle shaft, and I highly recommend a smear of RTV on the outer circumference of the seal before installing it in the axle tube.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #15 of 21 Old 10-06-2019, 07:15 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, so I've been thinking through this a bit, and may need some help in my understanding.

So using the lower picture in my post #8 above, when the shaft is inserted in the housing,

1. The bearing outer race slides into the machined area at the end of the axle tube/flange.
2. The bearing fits into the outer race.
3. The seal fits against the outside of the bearing.
4. The retainer flange holds everything in place once the 4 bolts are tightened.
5. The seal is now "compressed" between the bearing and the outer flange.

Does this sound right?

jhanna
denton county, tx

Tags
axle bearing , axle seal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in