• 2 Post By WallyDog1
  • 1 Post By WallyDog1
  • 3 Post By Jerry Bransford

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-03-2020, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Radiator is seeping

I've been smelling antifreeze lately and not finding any drips where it was leaking from. Today I finally found the spot. The inside lower tank to core is where it's coming from. It just started so it was barely noticeable. It will need to be replaced.
Iv'e been looking around and choked at the price Rock Auto had for a Mopar Radiator, 300.00 plus shipping. I found another for 800.00. WoW for a cheep plastic tanked aluminum radiator.
Any suggestions as to a good after market radiator? I don't know if I really want to drop that much for a radiator. The 79.00 one they have is a little scary. What ever happened to copper and brass? I know...I'm dating myself

From the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-03-2020, 07:34 PM
TJKTodd

Best is oem Mopar chances are the last one lasted over 15 years..... 2nd option is go to local parts store spend 120 hope for the best and a good warranty.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
BM3 and LumberjackLloyd like this.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-03-2020, 07:43 PM
LumberjackLloyd
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJKTodd View Post
Best is oem Mopar chances are the last one lasted over 15 years..... 2nd option is go to local parts store spend 120 hope for the best and a good warranty.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Agreed.

I am sure there is a quality all aluminum radiator out there somewhere that would work well, but I don't think you will beat the price of the Mopar...

post #4 of 12 Old 07-04-2020, 01:44 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You're more than welcome to try something different, but through a multitude of threads over the years most people have found that the OEM radiator works best.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 12 Old 07-04-2020, 02:32 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think the next best to the OEM is Nissens, but I don't know what the availability and cost is over there. Nissens are an OEM manufacturer to many brands (though not Jeep). They are single core, plastic tanked aluminium just like Mopar rads. As an OEM manufacturer the quality is very good. I've had a Nissens rad in my TJ for nine years now, so 70K+ miles so far.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-04-2020, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberjackLloyd View Post
Agreed.

I am sure there is a quality all aluminum radiator out there somewhere that would work well, but I don't think you will beat the price of the Mopar...
Jegs has an all aluminum one for around 200.00
You're right the last one lasted 15 years. I'll probably get an OEM. The price threw me.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-05-2020, 08:18 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Radiator is seeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyDog1 View Post
Jegs has an all aluminum one for around 200.00
You're right the last one lasted 15 years. I'll probably get an OEM. The price threw me.

Another way to look at it is that if the replacement $300 radiator lasts another 15 years, thatís only $20 a year...

To me, the extra couple hundred bucks over the cost of an inexpensive, unreliable radiator is worth the piece of mind.
TJKTodd likes this.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-05-2020, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

You're right! I'll drop the 300 for a factory OEM radiator. I do like fixing stuff the right way

post #9 of 12 Old 07-06-2020, 01:46 PM
ffej

I'm curious how common the failure of the stock TJ radiator is. Mine made it barely past the warranty period and then failed in a similar manner. I swapped in a cheapo from radiator.com and never had another problem in the many years I owned it. Maybe I had back luck with the stock radiator and good luck with the cheapo ... who knows?

Personally, I would have no hesitation getting an aftermarket radiator with warranty from a company who will back it. For example, Autozone has a 'stock-looking' radiator for $116 with a lifetime warranty. Most of the bad reviews seem to be from many years ago. Recent reviews tend to be more positive.

Good luck!
post #10 of 12 Old 07-18-2020, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Mopar replacement on the way!
Jerry Bransford likes this.

post #11 of 12 Old 07-19-2020, 10:56 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
For example, Autozone has a 'stock-looking' radiator for $116 with a lifetime warranty.
Lifetime warranties from low-end stores like Autozone are a marketing gimmick. They're still cheap radiators with a poor track record. They only get away with it because few people own their vehicles much longer after things like radiators start going bad. Sure they'll give you a new radiator when it goes bad but they don't lose any significant $$$ because so few people own the vehicle long enough afterward to ever take them up on that warranty.

For most Jeepers that tend to own their Jeeps longer than car owners do, and venture out into remote areas that require above average reliability, they're a REALLY bad idea. In other words, lifetime warranties don't get you home. And if you do keep your Jeep with its cheap radiator long enough to need to take advantage of such warranties, when does it get old replacing them 2-3X as often as would be typical for a high quality radiator like the OE Mopar?

The LAST thing I would EVER install onto my TJ would be cheap store brand critical parts like the radiator, starter, ignition coil, fuel pump, water pump, etc. I'm out in very remote areas in difficult conditions to ever feel comfortable with cheap critical components where a lifetime warranty means nothing.

Would I ever use Autozone Duralast branded floor mats, seat covers, or air fresheners? Sure. But I'd only consider installing a Duralast radiator if I was about to sell my Jeep to a known child molester who deserved any problems that developed after he bought it.
NashvilleTJ, rsurran and TJKTodd like this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-20-2020, 07:20 AM
Maverickxeo

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Spectra is another good brand for radiators. Those are what I've used in every vehicle I've owned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in