Questions for the Savvy (tire carrier) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 Old 05-07-2011, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
tjwrangler99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Questions for the Savvy (tire carrier)

So in my creation of a parts list (im board out here) I cant seem to find a lightweight rear bumper with a tire carrier. Everything seems to be fairly heavy.

I like Savvy's work, and I searched the forum to see if the question has been asked, but are there any plans for a tire carrier for the rear bumper? Maybe a receiver hitch?

Everything I am putting on my Jeep is AL based to save weight, and (like many) would buy this from savvy if they offered it.

1999 TJ
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 05-07-2011, 08:45 AM
srfnfly227

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Savvy does offer a rear bumper with receiver. There is a thread about it somewhere and I believe Blaine has said that it is not to be used to tow.

The tire carrier is not available yet. From the information currently available, it will be tub mounted and is probably still a few months out. This means that you will buy the bumper and the carrier separately. Personally, I like that option.
post #3 of 57 Old 05-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Savvy
2014 JK Wrangler 

We don't offer anything yet. We have a design we like but just haven't found time to put it together. Hopefully we can get a few assembled but no time frame yet on it. Sorry to be so vague.

post #4 of 57 Old 05-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I can offer this, that Savvy's spare tire carrier won't be part of the bumper. Bumper mounted tire carriers just have too many problems and are too hard/expensive to make that single main support point they require strong and reliable enough. You can bet on Savvy's design attaching somehow to the tub area only with no connection to the bumper at all.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 57 Old 05-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Jetscuh
O rly?
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've been waiting for a Savvy spare tire carrier because something of lighter weight interests me as far as a tire carrier goes.

My only beef with tub mounted tire carriers is that my last one pulled my tailgate away from the body so I had to fix a few things to get it back to normal. However, I am trusting that Savvy wouldn't create a product with that flaw.
post #6 of 57 Old 05-07-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
tjwrangler99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I know my thoughts on this are based on, well nothing other then looks, but the tub mounted carriers seem as though they would put alot of pressure on the tub. I never considered the tub itself a very strong point. Im guessing the carrier actually bolts into something behind the tub, because isnt the tub mostly just sheet metal?

Jerry I know you run a setup like this, so your talking through experiance, it just seems as though those single point tire swings are very beefy. It surprises me how much weight those tub mounted ones can take.

In any case, I look forward to see what Savvy comes out with. I'm sure it'll be top notch.

1999 TJ
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
post #7 of 57 Old 05-07-2011, 12:38 PM
TheMusicMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwrangler99 View Post
I know my thoughts on this are based on, well nothing other then looks, but the tub mounted carriers seem as though they would put alot of pressure on the tub. I never considered the tub itself a very strong point. Im guessing the carrier actually bolts into something behind the tub, because isnt the tub mostly just sheet metal?
A good design would connect into more than just the sheet metal.
Where the Cage meets the Body at the rear of the tub is a sturdy position to do this. It has multiple layers of thick metal.

TheMusicMan.
post #8 of 57 Old 05-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh View Post
My only beef with tub mounted tire carriers is that my last one pulled my tailgate away from the body so I had to fix a few things to get it back to normal.
Don't include well-designed tub mounted spare tire carriers in that group. My OR-F tub-mounted tire carrier doesn't even touch the tailgate. A well-designed tub mounted carrier does not use the tailgate for any part of its support. In fact, the sheet metal itself is not a structural part of my OR-F carrier, its weight is supported by hidden brackets that bolt to the rear rollcage support bases.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #9 of 57 Old 05-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Jetscuh
O rly?
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Don't include well-designed tub mounted spare tire carriers in that group. My OR-F tub-mounted tire carrier doesn't even touch the tailgate. A well-designed tub mounted carrier does not use the tailgate for any part of its support. In fact, the sheet metal itself is not a structural part of my OR-F carrier, its weight is supported by hidden brackets that bolt to the rear rollcage support bases.
Nice.

Yeah, this was just some piece o' crap the previous owner installed and I promptly removed.
post #10 of 57 Old 05-07-2011, 06:34 PM
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

While I have a really solid tire carrier right now, I'd have to say that I'd be interested in swapping what I have for a lighter bumper/tire carrier combo. The weight difference could be huge and couple that with a Savvy gas tank skid, my pig of a rig would probably gain some much needed mpg's.
post #11 of 57 Old 05-08-2011, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
tjwrangler99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Since I'm just now starting to build my rig up, I figured AL would be the way to go. My MetalCloak bumper is AL, and I plan on getting the UCF AL full skid system, along with the Savvy gas skid, rear bumper and tire carrier at some point.

I figured the less weight, the less it will weight down the suspension.

1999 TJ
2011 Patriot FD1
post #12 of 57 Old 05-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwrangler99 View Post
I figured the less weight, the less it will weight down the suspension.
The less weight you have, the less you tax EVERYTHING. This is why the (literal) first thing I did when I got my Jeep was to get rid of the factory hard top and rear seat...they were in perfect shape, but they weighed a ton. More weight = less gas mileage and increased wear and tear on the entire vehicle. It might be incremental, but it adds up.

The weight issue is also why I haven't sprung for bumpers/tire carriers yet...there are designs that I like, but none are lightweight enough. Also, I have to keep spending money on regular upkeep. :

I'm also in agreement with the tub-mounted carriers...they can be very, very strong. The body tub has a lot of strength, if it's used properly. Remember, it's capable of holding your factory roll bars, or a hard top, or seats and passengers...none of those things are very light. If the tire carrier mounts in the right places and is designed properly, it's not going to be an issue.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 57 Old 07-20-2011, 11:11 AM
purplepig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Any updates from Savvy?
post #14 of 57 Old 07-20-2011, 12:09 PM
geiman
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately no; as far as I know it's still a waiting game. I'm guessing they're still swamped with trying to release the UA for the remaining models. I'm sure it will be worth the wait though, they're stuff always is. It's amazing what they can put out for being such a small/new company.
post #15 of 57 Old 08-05-2011, 01:36 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hopefully it won't cost an arm and a leg like the genright aluminum tub mount carrier, which is almost a grand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in