Questions on pulled drive shafts, Chasing Vibrations. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Maxxram

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Questions on pulled drive shafts, Chasing Vibrations.

Hello,
I have been having some vibes while driving on the highway at 50mph and up. The vibrations seem to be rhythmic and are felt throughout the entire jeep. (although not in the steering wheel)

I have been going through the suspension over the last few days and found the front and rear track bars were loose. Also found front drive shaft u-joint had a little movement so I replaced it. Checked all other u-joints front and rear, check the bolts on all control arms, Lubed all grease fittings.

The vibes seemed to be a lot better,vibes were moved to about 65mph and up.

Then today the wife and I decided to take a trip to Cabela's, Its about a 30min ride down the highway. On the way out jeep felt smooth as long as i kept it under 65mph. On the way home however, the vibes proceeded to get worse. The vibe's started at 45mph and above. Vibes did not chance with acceleration, deceleration, coasting, was just related to speed.
By the time we reach our off ramp on the return trip the vibes were getting to the point were my phone laying on the dash was vibrating. As soon as i slowed below 40mph the vibes went away. But now i have an issue with vibes on acceleration, once the jeep gets above 15mph when acceleration the jeeps starts shaking. None of the vibes or shaking can really be felt in the steering wheel so it leads me to believe the issue is in the rear.

My first question is how fast can i go in 4H with the rear drive shaft removed?
(I would like to take it on the highway to test since that's were the vibes originally started)

My second question is instead of removing the complete front drive shaft, could i just unbolt it from the front diff and tie it up to the frame? (I would of course be in 2H with the rear shaft reinstalled)

Thanks for any information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

Yes you can remove the front drive shaft from the front diff and strap it to the frame. Dont put in 4-L tho. Most ppls say not to go over 55 in 4-H. I had the angry sparrows and I took the jeep to a driveshaft shop and for 260.00 out the door they removed both shafts, all new joints and centering ball and balanced both shafts. I see that lots of ppls do there own driveshafts u-joints but what I dont understand is you almost never hear about them getting the shafts re-balanced. Hell I didnt even know I had vibs-balance problems with the shafts until they were re-balanced. When I drove the rubicon off from the shop I couldnt believe the smoothness of the drivetrain. When I got up to 60-70 mph I thought I was driving a Lincoln (not really lol!). Since you replaced a u-joint why not rebuild both shafts and take it somewhere that has the equipment to balance the shafts. I watched mine be rebuilt and the guy was not gentle with the shafts. After the BFH banging on the shafts they needed a balance. Also check ball joints TRE's and maybe get the tires balanced.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check both output nuts and pinion nuts. Make sure both are torqued to spec and not loose.

OlllllllO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IndyORV

post #4 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Gl0b3y

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been driving around for a week now without my rear driveshaft since it blew. Ive gone speeds up to 100 KM/H without any problems. Not sure if it would be the same for you so I would take it easy at first
post #5 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Maxxram

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the information.
This morning on the way to work nothing changed with the vibes, they were still bad. (I only have a 2mi drive). I did notice however that when backing into the parking spot as soon as i hit the breaks they was a loud clunk from under the jeep. At lunch time i had the wife stop by and drive the jeep forwards and backwards while i watched all the control arms. Found the RE Bushings are shot. Drivers front lower, and passenger front upper.
Ordered a complete new set of bushings and will be installing them this weekend.
Hopefully that solves my issues. Only thing i don't understand is how they failed so fast? I was just under the jeep on Saturday checking everything out and didnt notice them moving.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxram View Post
Found the RE Bushings are shot. Drivers front lower, and passenger front upper. Only thing i don't understand is how they failed so fast?
A buddy of mine just got a free set of bushings from RE, they had a bad batch and had a bunch of early failures, you may want to call them.

Member of JGW (Jeff's Gone Wheeling) and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build:

post #7 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxram View Post
Thanks for the information.
This morning on the way to work nothing changed with the vibes, they were still bad. (I only have a 2mi drive). I did notice however that when backing into the parking spot as soon as i hit the breaks they was a loud clunk from under the jeep. At lunch time i had the wife stop by and drive the jeep forwards and backwards while i watched all the control arms. Found the RE Bushings are shot. Drivers front lower, and passenger front upper.
Ordered a complete new set of bushings and will be installing them this weekend.
Hopefully that solves my issues. Only thing i don't understand is how they failed so fast? I was just under the jeep on Saturday checking everything out and didnt notice them moving.
This has been an ongoing issue for a long time. Search around and you'll fine plenty of info. Regardless, I highly doubt that's the cause of your vibe. So you're saying you pulled the rear shaft and drove in 4wd? How's the front pinion angle look?

OlllllllO

IndyORV
post #8 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Maxxram

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
This has been an ongoing issue for a long time. Search around and you'll fine plenty of info. Regardless, I highly doubt that's the cause of your vibe. So you're saying you pulled the rear shaft and drove in 4wd? How's the front pinion angle look?
Never got the chance to pull any of the shafts, was going to do it today after work, But then i found the bad bushings, I will not be driving the jeep till the bushings are replaced. They should be here Friday. Since the lift was already installed when i bought the jeep, (I'm the second owner) RE will not warranty anything, nor would i have expected them to. Right now as it is when just moving the jeep forward or backward the front pinion is rotating up and down quite a bit. So the plan is to wait till i have all the bushings replaced then revisit the vibe issue's if they remain.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Maxxram

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Update on my vibration issue, Replaced all the RE control arm bushings today and took the jeep for a drive, I am still getting bad vibrations when under acceleration from 20mph and up. All U-joints in front and rear drive shafts feel tight with no play. The things that has me really confused is that if I put the jeep in 4H almost all the vibes go away. In 2H from 20mph and up the vibes can be felt slightly in the steering wheel and felt pretty good in the seat. Anything that's on the dash will vibrate like crazy.
Anyone have any clue on what I should check next??
Again the vibes form 20mph and up did not start until after a 30min highway drive at 65mph this past Sunday. Up until that point the only vibe I had was a very slight one between 65 and 75mph
post #10 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Maxxram

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here are pics of the front and rear drive shaft angles. Do they look ok?

post #11 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Front pinion looks low?...

Gone but not forgotten.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Maxxram

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well I couldn't just let this issue wait till tomorrow. So I said to heck with going to bed and I went out and removed the front drive shaft from the axle. Took a test drive and the issue remained. So that rules out the front for the most part. Come back home and crawled back under the jeep and reattached the front shaft, then removed the rear shaft. Turns out the rear u-joint at the pinion is bad. When I removed it from the pinion one cap fell off and there was nothing but dust inside the cap. Also if you try to rotate the u-joint on the drive shaft it is locked almost solid. It will only move about 1/4" when trying to rotate it. Took the jeep for a drive with the rear shaft removed and NO MORE VIBES!!
Looks like tomorrow I will be replacing the rear drive shaft u-joint.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM
rondak46

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good Job Max! I love this stuff! Troubleshotting is great fun when you get to do it Vicariously. Just kidding, the reward of fixing something when you go through the frustration of having the problem yourself makes the satisfaction ten fold. .... or something like that....
post #14 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Maxxram

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Anyone know the spicer part number for the rear driveshaft to axle u-joint for the RE CV shaft im running. Would it be the spicer 5-212x?
Here is a link to the shaft.
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/LJ/Product.aspx?folder=LJDS∂=RE1895-265
post #15 of 15 Old 01-09-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Maxxram

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just an update on my issue, I replaced the rear u-joint in the rear driveshaft and now all serious vibes are gone. I still have one annoying vibe that does not start till I hit 65mph. But i think the issue with that could be a slightly low front pinion angle. I will be purchasing a magnetic angle finder tomorrow then setting the proper front pinion angle.
Thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in